Friday, January 17, 2020

Lessons in design


Oh -- I see there are some great comments in the last couple of days. I'm a wee bit strapped for time this morning so I'll address them tomorrow.

This silly walking business has greatly cut into my time. But once I'm caught up (I'm less than 10 miles behind - I think I made up four miles this week), things will be better. Over 23,000 steps yesterday. Also, I had a lot of private classes this week - everyone wanting to get themselves organized at the beginning of the year.

I won't go into the detail about yesterday's design class since I'm not making the quilt. But it was a very interesting exercise. And I say interesting in a very positive and exciting way. The maker had a photograph of an image that she wanted to translate into fabric. How could we do that? and then how could it be pieced? Loads of things to think about - the scale, color, techniques.

I think the biggest thing was the scale. What size of a quilt could we make that would convey the image in the photo, yet not end up being a giant quilt! After a wee bit of jiggling, we hit upon the perfect size. The finished quilt will be about 46" square or thereabouts.

Once we had the scale, then it came down to drawing out the design. It was relatively simple as one element was repeated numerous times. So that made drawing the design a wee bit easier. Then it was how to break it down so it could be pieced together. There were a few false starts along the way as we discussed one method versus another. It was an extremely satisfying exercise. I can't wait to see the final project.

Some of the areas were a wee bit tricky, so I still have to make a mockup of the main design element to ensure that all the sizings I wrote down will actually work. That's a job for Sunday.

That kind of exercise is the best! My brain had to translate a picture into something that we can sew together. The end quilt will be extremely unique and that's what I love and I wish I had more time to spend doing that. I do make quilts from my own patterns, but I don't make them as intricate as I would like for ME. I need to schedule some time to focus on that, but there are only so many hours in a day. Right now - catching up on those miles is my critical focus.

After she left, I got onto a phone call that lasted a LONG, LONG time. It was a great conversation related to my day job and I don't begrudge the time, but it did eat into the rest of my day.

I forgot to tell you that during our dressmaking class we had to pair up and take each other's measurements. ACK!!!  I hate doing that to strangers, but just suck it up! The lady that I paired up with was a wee bit larger than myself and I was worried I wouldn't be able to reach around her with the tape measure - my arms reach that is, not the tape measure! I managed, but it was a bit awkward.

So now that I have my measurements, I can get out and shop for the pattern. Which I didn't do yesterday and based on the forecast, I might want to get out later today, although it's not a rush.

As I was working yesterday, I thought back to a book that I had used when I first learned to sew garments. Way back when I was 14. I still have the book and found it on M's bookcase as I had given it to her. The funny thing is that this is ONE of the reference books on our list. Perhaps not the 1975 edition, although I'm sure it would work. OK - so this book goes back on MY shelf.

Published in 1975



I remember there were slips of paper in the front of the book with my measurements on it from years past. Are they still there? Yep - I found three different sets of measurements. Hmmm - do I dare look at the measurements and compare them to my current measurements?

Unfortunately, there were no dates on the slips of paper, other than one was marked July 1. It was typewritten, so I'm guessing that it was the first set of measurements that I took. DO NOT hate me, but the waist measurement from the other day was 3 ½" larger than the one taken on July 1. OH MY GOD -- all this work is in fact paying off. Yipppeeeeeee!!!!!!!  My hips are just a wee bit larger as well. That's actually quite a nice surprise! I'm excited knowing that for over 40 years, I've maintained my weight and shape - more or less.

With this walking and all the extra calories I'm allowed to eat, but don't have time - well - we're not going there. As long as it's not excess sugar, I can pretty much eat whatever I want which is what I used to be able to do. As I walked into the gym this morning, I saw on the TV - they were doing a segment that says a 20-minute walk first thing in the morning has the same effect as a cup of coffee. Now it's a tad chilly out there this morning for a walk, but dress for it and you'll be fine.

Today, I'm sharing the Quilter's Trek video with you. This is what's replacing Row by Row. I'm not sure after watching the video that I'm in. Based on the number of kits that I have - I think I'm done! Unless a group of stores comes up with an amazing design.

On that note - I'm out of here. It's a charity sewing day and I've got 5 people coming and Studio B is not quite as tidy as I need it to be.

Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment