Wednesday, January 29, 2020

This is how I roll..................


It was a totally crazy day. Not chaotic crazy, just lots to do in a very controlled way. The girls are LOVING the virtual challenge. They get to walk for miles every day. It doesn't mean they are better at walking on the leash (OK - maybe just a wee bit better), but they love being outside. So do I. Fresh air - every day for a couple of hours. No wonder I'm sleeping like a log. Just wait until summer - you'll never get me to stay inside.

We were off to the library and the grocery store which are NOT in the same direction. No worries - we got in lots of steps and it's kind of fun to do all those errands on foot. I LOVE my Longo's backpack. I'm sure, people give me crazy looks and DH even questions my sanity on that one, but seriously - why not? I'm at that age that I don't care!

However, I must have had bicycles on the brain yesterday as well. I did get my quilt quilted and this was the pattern.


You can't see the quilt - not yet. But then I had a dream about cycling down some crazy hill (most likely the Coquihalla Highway) in the pouring rain. Where did that thought come from???

When I wasn't walking, I was messing with the embroidery machine and the computer. I was proofreading some pattern instructions. As a result, I now have several journal covers. They aren't quite finished, but the instructions are proofed. I love proofing patterns - it's one of the ways that I learn so much. It can be a tough job as not everyone writes the same way so how much do you change in the pattern? Change the grammar? Change the style? Change just what doesn't make sense?

There are loads of people who are afraid to make comments or suggestions when they are asked to proofread instructions. Not me. I go through it with a fine-toothed comb. If it doesn't make sense to me, it won't make sense to someone else. I'm ruthless. I leave it up to the writer to make whatever changes they want, but I don't shy away from making suggestions.

Where or where do I get these ideas? Quilt Canada 2020 is coming up later this year. Actually, that would be June 17 - 20 in Edmonton. I'll be going and I'm trying to think of awesome new samples for the booth that uses the technology that we have available to us. So now I have a couple of new things to do! Oh boy!!!  Actually, I got some input from a colleague and now I'm going to sit down and think about what exactly I'd like to contribute and then get it on the list.

Speaking of Quilt Canada, the class registration is now open (for members) so if you're planning on going, it might be best to get yourself registered. If you're not a member and would like to take classes, registration starts February 3. Unfortunately, we won't be able to take classes as we're working the booth all day, every day. But that's OK. If you're coming to Quilt Canada, you must stop by the Husqvarna Viking and/or PFAFF booth to say hello.

Here's something that you can add to your list of things to do. Quilt Canada is having a postcard challenge. There are other challenges, but let's just focus on the postcard challenge for today.
This is the link to the instructions for the challenge. All the information you need is on that link. But here's the thing. Postcards are small. It's a great place to try out a new technique. It's a great place to get creative - they are only 4" by 6" so it won't take long to finish them either. There is a theme - Inspired by Nature, but that can mean ANYTHING!!!!

Here are a couple of postcards that I either made or received in various swaps over the years.

Postcard made by Mary VD

Hey Mary - do you remember making me that postcard???



Postcard made using a playing card

This is one that I made. I used a stamp, a metal charm, fabric and thread to make the card.

A postcard that I made

Here's a book that I keep some of my postcards in. It's exploding as some of those postcards are thick.

My postcard album



The postcards need to be received by May 1 so you need to get your act together. The postcards become the property of the Canadian Quilter's Association and will be auctioned off as a fundraiser for the Glenrose Paediatric Brain Injury Unit in Edmonton. So if you really, really like your postcard, make TWO. One to donate and one to keep.

What to do for the postcard? Think anything!  Try a mini collage. Try using up some of those scraps of fabric that you were saving for a crazy patch quilt. Make a tribute to someone by starting with an old photograph and adding bits of lace or buttons. Make it modern, try big stitching or Sashiko stitching. Or random embroidery seed stitch over a background of patches. Remember - the size - it's small - 4" by 6" or 6" by 4". I know that you can do that.

If you go to the bottom of the link above for the postcard information, there are some videos to perhaps tweak your inspiration.

It's open to anyone to donate a postcard. If you make one, send me a picture and I'd be happy to post it. I've got to put my thinking cap on and see what I can come up with. It's not for lack of supplies. Oh - I'm going to get out my supplies later today and we can chat a wee bit more about making the postcards.

I can't wait, but not until I get two quilts bound today and a bit more proofing, finishing off some projects. It was going to be a community project workday (just for me), but I have to postpone that until next week. I don't like doing that, but I don't have a choice. I seem to be moving in slow motion these days.

And I HAVE to get my seam finish samples done for tonight and let's not forget those darts! That shouldn't take too long, but well, we all know that everything takes longer than you plan.

Don't forget to check out QUILTsocial today!!!

On that note, Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!!


3 comments:

  1. Nope, I don't remember making that postcard. I know we were in the same group because I have one from you with the dragonfly. Is it signed by me on the back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep --- HHQG Postcard Swap 2012/13 (?????) From Mary VD

      That's what is written on the back. Good thing we label stuff!!!

      Delete
    2. Guess I should have taken pictures of the cards I made for others.

      Delete