Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Happy New Year 2020


It's a new year and a new decade! How the heck did that happen? I still remember back to the new millennium and how everyone expected computers around the world to die at midnight!

I had a quick peek back at what I did last year - not much exciting - quilting - same old thing! But it makes me happy and I'm OK with that!

Last year, I was also madly trying to finish up those 100 projects in the year. I didn't keep a list this year. I did start, although I got busy and forgot to keep track.

Will I make resolutions? I don't think so. Why? Resolutions are hard to keep. BUT as I mentioned last week, I'm going to make these commitments to myself. Is a resolution the same as a commitment?




I think if you look at the two definitions, commitment is a much better phrase to use.

Here are my commitments. Remember - these are to me - not to anyone else and only I can make these happen or continue to make them happen.

1. I did an amazing job on decluttering this past year. Not only in the Studios but in the house in general. OK - so that wasn't my intention when the year started, but that darn water leak made me do it! I needed a kick in the butt and now I'm on a roll! I'll continue and I would hope that by the end of this year that the office will be in much better shape and that Studio B will also be in better shape.

2. I did an amazing job of loosening control of my stash. Lots of fabrics got donated to our community projects group. And as that pile goes down, I hope to donate lots more. I want to continue to have fun with my stash and that's exactly what I'm doing. We had the pillowcase making day for Ryan's Case for Smiles and the once a month day where we have worked on an amazing amount of quilts and we're nowhere near depleting the fabric bins.

3. I did an amazing job at flossing. WAIT A MINUTE!!  WHAT? Me - flossing? I know. I went to the dentist at the beginning of December. I got the usual lecture about flossing and the week before I went to the dentist, my gums started to bleed quite badly one night when I was brushing my teeth. I think this scared me and I started to floss after that dental visit. I now floss ONCE a day - come on - more than that would be too much! It takes a minute. Guess what? My gums haven't bled once since I started. Not even a hint of blood! I still have a LONG time to live and the last thing I want is to spend my money on getting my teeth fixed when I'm much older. So floss now to prevent gum disease! I had better get a glowing report the next time I visit the dentist!

4. I did an amazing job of maintaining my weight and keeping fit. After getting to my optimal weight in 2018, I've been able to maintain that weight - I have my 5-pound buffer zone and I've been very good at staying in that zone. I would like to get to the gym a wee bit more often, but if I can't, I at least aim for 10,000 steps every day. It doesn't happen every day, but I try very hard. And to make that even more fun this year, I've signed up for a virtual challenge. Oh god! Yep - supposed to walk the entire length of Route 66 in the US (2,280.3 miles). That should take me one year at my current daily walking distance, so if I do extra walking and that happens from time to time, I could get there earlier!

5. I did an amazing job at learning! Almost every day there was a learning opportunity of some kind. My intention is to keep that up. My natural curiosity and wanting to do new things - that's what keeps me going. The minute I stop, I fall asleep! BTW - I do get a full 7 - 8 hours of sleep so don't think I'm shortchanging myself in that department!

6. I did an amazing job of reading novels. I read over 60 novels this past year, some via audiobook, some with hard copy. I want to continue that!


Oh my - did you notice that all the things I did great at are involving me personally? So yep - every time you think I'm getting in over my head and way too many deadlines, I do put myself first most of the time. There will always be times when I'm rushed - it can't be helped. But I do think of me first - well most times.



I did make ONE list. That was my list of UFO projects to complete in 2020. I was kind to myself, knowing that there are items from the previous three years that need to be done. I have to say that I had to search around the studio to find projects to put on the list. NOT because there weren't any, but I wanted to choose wisely. I don't think any of them have applique!!!

Here's the list:


Dirty Dozen list for 2020

A couple of those are larger items, one is a bag, one just needs the blocks sewn together. Several of them are the ongoing quilts that I've taught over the years. There is a variety and I'm determined to get myself on track from the previous years so the job doesn't get out of hand. I WILL DO IT. With the help of our UFO club (you can sign for either the real thing or the virtual group), The Monday Motivator sewing group, the Motivational Monday Facebook group, and the Task Master. I'm not alone and that makes me feel great!

Speaking of which, have a look at this. Here is my Stitcher's Garden quilt. Notice that it's ALMOST DONE. I'm jumping up and down - super happy.


Stitcher's Garden

I should say something about the quilt. I do NOT hate this quilt and I do not HATE the fact that I did it. I learned a LOT making this quilt. A LOT. It's just that I let it drag out way too long. The first time I taught, the second time I taught the quilt and then in trying to finish it up as part of the UFO group. I didn't give it the attention and focus that I needed to get it done. As you can see, I've given it that focus the last couple of days and I'm thrilled with it. It's quite pink! So I'm trying to tone it down with green borders which you can see on the right. I'm not sure I'll have time to work on it for a while, as I have some samples that I want to make and those are going to take priority.

Another private lesson yesterday. Here's the thing about teaching anything. Teaching something helps me to confirm the information in my head. OH - I do know more than I thought, but it also shows me where I need to brush up! So that's a good thing, but now I have a bit of work to do to get ready for the next round of private classes.

I managed to get a quilt quilted as well. This is one of the community project quilts that I made several years ago. It got shoved into the "to be quilted" pile and I never got around to quilting it. I sewed the fleece squares on the sewing machine using a stretch overcast stitch. I planned on taking a closeup picture but forgot.

There is fleece on the back of the quilt and so I did NOT put batting in.


Quilting two layers of fleece together

The stitches literally sunk into the pile of the fleece on both sides.

You can't see the stitches


Here's the quilt after it was quilted.


Community Projects quilt - DONE

This one will have a flannel binding. I've now got a HUGE pile of quilts that need to be trimmed and bound. I'll see how the sample making goes. I'm away next week - yep - we start the Educator year off with a bang. So that makes a dent in my January time. No worries - I've been very productive and I feel great about that.

Enjoy your New Year's Day - I'll be downstairs playing with two embroidery machines and whatever else I can get my hands on! I MUST get out for a walk since I have to put miles on every day to get to the end of Route 66 by the end of the year.

Have a super day!!!!!

Ciao!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment