Friday, January 3, 2020

Making new friends



Can you believe? I didn't take a single picture yesterday. Well - just pictures of the ice on the sidewalks which I still need to write a letter about. There's just not enough time in the day. No - I spent most of yesterday fiddling with technology. Shooting videos to be precise!

You see, I wanted some videos to go along with the Vintage Christmas and Christmas Fig Sew Alongs that start today!! I'm super excited and I'll be sending out e-mails to the two groups later today. I was hoping to have all the videos done as well. However, I ran into trouble.

In case you're thinking that I waited until the last minute - I did not! I started the videos a couple of days ago. Plenty of time to shoot them and edit them. But first, the microphone didn't work. I watched a YouTube video and realized that I might need a new cable. It was New Year's Day when I discovered that so I couldn't check with anyone. Well, after a trip to the mall where I couldn't find a cable, I called the store where I bought the microphone and OH MY - I have all the cables - I just didn't attach them properly.

Back home to shoot the videos. Got them all shot and went to edit - darn the camera wasn't in the right spot! Oh, it was in the right spot, just that the top of my head got cut off. I had already shot some of the videos without the microphone and I needed the microphone. It's all a learning experience!

I'm happy to report that ONE video is done and three more to go. The more you do, the easier it becomes. Once I get this technology nailed down, I should be good to go in the future. What I need is a tripod stand for my iPad Pro. They don't make one for the big iPads so I'm going to have to find something else. In the meantime - I found a solution.

Of course, when I went to upload the video, I had issues with a password. So the video isn't uploaded yet, but I'm hoping to have that resolved later today. See - technology tries every which way to get me!

It's not too late to join the Sew Alongs if you want to join in the fun. Next Friday is the cutoff to sign up. There are two separate Sew Alongs and they are $25 each to join. Check out this link to see the two Sew Alongs.

The other way that I spent my day was messing around with my Virtual Challenges. Oh boy - this is quite the thing to get set up, but I think we have it done now. If I were doing it alone, that would be OK, but NO all four members of the Quilt Posse are doing it and we wanted to see each other's progress on the map. Well, that took a wee bit of effort, but thanks to Ronda, we're good.

The total distance of Route 66 that we're walking in 2020
It's actually pretty cool how they can take your mileage from your FitBit and map it onto Google Maps. I love it. We've just started, but I'm outside Chicago now. The others are hot on my tail!


The progress of the Quilt Posse members




To reach LA by the end of the year, I have to walk 6 miles more or less each day. Yikes - that's a big commitment. I did walk to the mall so I was good yesterday and I'm .7 mile ahead of schedule. I'm crazy about tracking numbers like this so I know I'll do it. Even if I have to go for a walk at the end of the day to make up the numbers which I guess is the point of the whole exercise!

There are going to be some days which present a challenge - such as being in meetings or teaching, but I'll find a way to make it happen. There's lunch hour to take a walk and before and after class. I'm in meetings/training all next week - so I'll have a good time to practice making up those steps.

I swear it helps so much (with my steps and my weight and my health in general) to do my errands or the majority of them without using the car. The bank, the dentist, the hardware store, the library, the mall, and even the grocery store. It's all within walking distance of my house so why would I take my car? Walking is so much healthier and you get to checkout what's going on in the neighborhood and no idiot drivers to deal with, no parking to find. I love it! And at the end of this year, if things go well, we're supposed to have a huge movie complex at the mall. With Virtual Reality - oh yes - I want to try that.

Well, here's a quilting thing for you today. And I swear I read in the paperwork that the sign-ups started today, but NO - registration started yesterday. It doesn't matter - you can still sign-up. This is called the Quilt Canada Mini Swap. You do not need to be a member of the Canadian Quilters Association to sign up. The deadline to sign-up is January 23. Then you'll get assigned a "friend" who has similar tastes in fabric and quilting styles as yourself. You will make each other a mini quilt based on those likes and dislikes. The idea is that you'll swap at Quilt Canada in Edmonton in June of this year. WAIT - even if you're not going to Quilt Canada, you can still participate. It just means that you'll mail your mini quilts.

This is going to be so much fun. I've already signed up. A mini quilt (maximum size is 24" square") doesn't take that long to make. DO NOT worry if you're a beginner - they'll assign you to someone else who is a beginner and so your skill levels should be similar.

I participated in this kind of a swap last year for QuiltCon in Nashville. It was a riot as Katherine and I e-mailed back and forth to get to know each other better. Then we met at QuiltCon and exchanged our quilts. You can see us in the blog post and the quilts that we made for each other.  It even transpired into a road trip to North Carolina last year to see Katherine and her quilt shop.

Get yourself together and SIGN UP!!!!  Apparently, a lot of people signed up yesterday - I don't know if they have a cut off for the number of people, but you'd better get signed up BEFORE January 23. Come on - this is the year you are going to branch out and do something new! And seriously - if you need help coming up with an idea - ask me! Everyone else does!! I don't mind a quick brainstorming session to help out.

Here's something else to ponder this morning. We need more of this to get the younger generation sewing. Way to go!!!!  How can we do more of this in the schools?? The problem for us quilters is that we're a bunch of old ladies - we don't have the same wow factor as athletes!!

On that note, I've got a couple of e-mails to get out before Ronda comes over so we can finish our backpacks. Hopefully, we finish them today! I need to get back to sample making!!! And finishing those other videos.

Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment