Friday, January 31, 2020

Out of sorts and it's not my fault


I pretty much use my camera to log my achievements of the day. Then I use the photos to blog about what happened. Well, lately you've probably noticed that the pictures are not necessarily of things that got accomplished. I'm making progress in getting things done, but necessarily finishing quilts or other projects. I did get some much needed tidy up done, but there's still more.

Yesterday was no exception to the rule. I did get a lot done, but I've nothing to show for it. Well, except for this picture.

This quilt is a HUGE one and it's done. I'll need to get it trimmed this morning so the customer can take it away when she comes later this afternoon.

Customer quilt - DONE

But I did manage to get a lot of paperwork squared away. Lots of e-mails were deleted - how the heck do we accumulate so many?

Did I touch the postcard basket? Nope!

I did get more of the serger book read and I have to return it today. It's already overdue by a few days. But it's a very good book. I also have a couple of serger books and why the heck I don't read my own books instead of borrowing from the library is beyond me. Why????  Because books from the library have a due date.

That's the same story for the novels. I keep borrowing from the library, while I have a wealth of novels on my shelf. After I finish the couple of novels that I have from the library - that's it for a while. NO MORE. If someone recommends a book to me, I'll make a list on my phone and then if I need a book, I'll order one. If not, I'll read from the shelf. My goal is to empty that shelf, but there are a lot of books and at this rate - it's going to take years.

I sure miss the FictFact web site that I used to keep track of book series. There are others out there, but nothing like that one. I was planning on creating my own but that's a lot of work.

I did get some sewing done, but I can't share it with you. It's for the Christmas Vintage Sew Along and I know they are anxiously awaiting their e-mail this morning. I had a major interruption in the last 12 hours in my house which has caused all kinds of chaos and I'm behind. The e-mail will go out before noon this morning. I didn't make it to the gym this morning. I slept very poorly last night because someone was very needy and was also having a bad night. And what was the disturbance???


Little Bear has come to visit


Through a comedy of errors, M missed her plane and had to take a later flight. She was coming in to go to a concert so I had to pick her up from the airport (luggage took almost a half-hour) and then drove her directly to her friend's house. I got Bear. He was very clingy - no wonder if your mom left you with a stranger (of sorts) and took off.

The poor thing hadn't eaten or peed all day. So I took him for a walk when I got home, gave him some food and water which he didn't want. But he was hungry in the middle of the night (twice) and I took him outside twice. Oh - I'm a good dog watcher. I just wonder how he's going to fair on our LONG walk this morning. I can't leave him in the house by himself. Oh - the joys of having three dogs. One of which is not your own. He's quite happily ensconced in my lap as I'm writing this. I'm not going to say the dog is spoiled, but.....................

I got my swap partner for the Quilt Canada Make a Mini. I'm so excited - I just got the email this morning. So now I have to put my thinking cap on. And I'm going to get in touch with my new friend. I also need to make a list (OK - I just need to add to the list) of projects that have to be completed with their due dates. None of the projects are large so that's a bonus, but small quilts don't always mean they take less time.

We were chatting about the goals that we set for the Virtual Challenge (almost in Merrit, BC and getting close to St. Louis). I had mentioned that my goal was eating up a lot of my day. It does take time - I'm not going to deny that. But it's not much extra time over and above what I would normally do. But here's the thing - there are huge benefits to all this extra walking and none of them have to do with my health. I'm now getting amazing use of my expensive gym membership. The cost per visit has been greatly reduced - I no longer feel guilty about that membership. Yeah!!!

The dogs, who are getting walked about 3 or 4 miles every day were quite uncoordinated on the walk. They would get their leashes wrapped around each other, Murhpy would body slam Lexi and when we passed someone or another dog, the two of them would go berzerk. I'm reading a book about dog training (leash walking in particular) and the suggestion in the book was MORE walking. I have to say that those two dogs are behaving much better. When we meet someone (and we usually meet several people as we walk just before school starts), I make them (the dogs) sit on the side of the sidewalk to let the person pass. They are very good (now) at ignoring whoever passes. Murphy is somewhat better on the leash so there's a huge benefit to all this walking. And I have to confess that I like having a goal.

I guess that's why I like having lists as well as I see them as a goal. Lists are all good.

I'm not sure how much I can get done today. I do have to pick M up at some point - most likely this morning. And then with visiting and whatnot - well, it's going to eat into the day. But that's OK - we don't see her often and so a good visit is in order. And I have a small task for her. It's called - cleaning out the closet or the bookcase. She gets to choose. She doesn't have much stuff left here and I don't mind storing it, but NOT if it is going to be donated or eventually given away. Let's get it cleaned up NOW. I hope she wants to walk to the grocery store - I haven't driven there in a long time. The walk will do her good and she's young!

I hope you've been reading QUILTsocial. The PREMIER+ ECQ software is pretty cool. Here's the last post. It's pretty amazing!!!

On that note, I guess I'm out of here to see how fun it's going to be to walk three dogs this morning. I have to make up some steps!

Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!

2 comments:

  1. I joined you yesterday in clearing emails. I went through a bunch! I read each one and deleted if appropriate and filed if needed for future reference. I'm down from 235 to 94. Yippee! Such a shock for me to have so many emails. I'm usually a "keep it near 25" in the inbox. I'm going to get there in the next week!!!!

    I've also set my goal this 1st quarter of 2020, to go through each bookmark in my browser. I'm not counting but I estimate I've already deleted 100+. Many are no longer valid websites and many were quilts I am no longer interested in making. On those, I did read the blog post to assure there was no technique to be retained.

    Oh it feels so good to rid myself of electronic clutter.

    Books to read: I stopped buying many years ago when I started tracking every penny we spend. I discovered to my dismay, I was spending in excess of $1100/year on books. I switched to my local library. In my account I can have reading lists so when I discover a title I want to read, I put it in the reading list. When I need a new book, I place an online request to reserve the book. I get an email saying it is available for pickup and then I can go get it on an errand day.

    Have you tried Good Reads for a series website? I've used it for books/authors where reading in order matters. They have an app if you want it on your phone. (I'm a laptop girl).

    Happy decluttering!

    I love following your activity and energy on your blog. Thanks for sharing real life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOD --- I need to do some electronic decluttering as well. It's crazy how fast it builds up. I'm way above 25 e-mails in my browser so I need to book some serious time to make that happen.

      Thanks for the tip on Good Reads - I'm going to check that out.

      And yes - the library is my best friend. I'd be totally lost without it. I know it's "lost" revenue for the authors, but I couldn't afford to buy everything I read. I'd be broke!

      Thanks for following - it's a totally crazy ride most days

      Delete