OH --- I LOVE Terri's idea about the shoebox. I intended to take the images of quilting designs and patterns and put them in an inspiration book. She says that doesn't work for her. Instead, she keeps ONE small box with loose pages from magazines, etc. Periodically she goes through and cleans up. Hmm -- that might work. I need to empty a box to try that out!
That method will be faster -- I like that idea! Thanks, Terri. I love that we can all learn from each other. I'll see how the day goes, but I might have a filing session later on today, but if I do, I have a feeling that I'm going to have to start culling what's in that filing cabinet. I don't think there's room for everything. And see how one thing leads to another?
So you all know that I have a lot of UFOs. More than -- well, it's hard to know where or how they all came about. OK -- I'm in denial in that - I know how they came about. Well, I've been making a list of 12 major ones each year for the last five years. Putting those 60 UFOs on the list hasn't made a dent in the total list. Well, maybe a wee bit.
I've gotten some BIG projects done - at least the top, backing, and binding are ready to be quilted. But there are more! And sometimes, I'm not focusing on them. That's where the UFO Club comes into play. I know some people use the UFO Club to complete a current project, and that's OK. But for me -- I want to use it to complete those major UFOs on those lists.
This month, I set TWO HUGE goals. I had to make those 18 raw-edge applique maple leaves. Well, they are now ready to be stitched; I pressed them in place yesterday. That was huge to get to that point. I had made a mess of the iron the day before, so that had to be cleaned.
|The iron got a bit messy|
I also added a second task this month: finishing the sashings for the Farmer's Wife quilt. I wanted the name of all the blocks stitched on the sashing. The stitching was finished last week. Yesterday, I removed all the excess stabilizer from the back, and all 111 sashings are trimmed. They still need to be cut to the proper length, but this is HUGE.
|Trimming the sashing|
|Not much waste|
|Almost completed sashings|
- Zero travel time
- Zero packing and unpacking time
- Zero set-up time and dealing with people who leave early, so they don't have to tear down tables - Oh yes -- it happens and WEEKLY by the same people. And you thought we didn't notice!!!
- Zero waiting for the iron
- Zero issues with the temperature of the room
- Zero issues with not having a hot lunch
- Zero issues with forgetting a supply or part of the project at home
- Zero issues with traffic
- Zero issues with the weather and snow days
- Zero issues with cliques forming
- Zero issues about money
- Zero issues about finding a space or sharing said space with another group
- Zero issues with organizing times
- You get to talk to EVERYONE, not just those at your table -- this happens all the time, and since we tend to get there at the same time every week, it's always the same people we chat with. I MUCH prefer being able to talk to everyone.
- You can ramble on about some random thing, and if no one cares - you don't feel like an idiot! You're just talking to a screen!
- Everyone can participate from wherever they live.
- Everyone can participate in the same topic, and we have some regulars regardless of which "table" you're at.
- We get to see the show and tell even if it's been given away. I just need people to send me those pictures!
- We can look things up instantly on the internet if we need to and share them with the others on our screens.
- We have Wi-Fi.
|Customer quilt - DONE|
|7.6 KM from the summit|
|The summit of Mount Katahdin|
The view from the top is spectacular. I was able to see it on Google maps this morning. Gorgeous!!!!
And that's it for me. I've got sewing and quilting to do today and perhaps some more tidying up!! I'll be glad when all this tidy-up is done, but I'll be starting at the top of the house and working my way down again! This time, it won't take as long as there isn't nearly as much stuff. But I've got clothes that need to be given away. There are linens in the closet that need to be dealt with. Oh yes --- more stuff, but it will go much quicker!!! Yeah!! And when I hit the office, well, it'll be empty by then!
Take some time to focus on what's important to you!!! How do you want to be remembered? I'll be remembered as someone who was constantly sorting and reorganizing! But at least I won't be leaving a legacy of paper and hoarding behind me!
Have a super day!!!