Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Zoom sewing is the BEST

OH --- I LOVE Terri's idea about the shoebox. I intended to take the images of quilting designs and patterns and put them in an inspiration book. She says that doesn't work for her. Instead, she keeps ONE small box with loose pages from magazines, etc. Periodically she goes through and cleans up. Hmm -- that might work. I need to empty a box to try that out! 


That method will be faster  -- I like that idea! Thanks, Terri. I love that we can all learn from each other. I'll see how the day goes, but I might have a filing session later on today, but if I do, I have a feeling that I'm going to have to start culling what's in that filing cabinet. I don't think there's room for everything. And see how one thing leads to another? 


So you all know that I have a lot of UFOs. More than -- well, it's hard to know where or how they all came about. OK -- I'm in denial in that - I know how they came about. Well, I've been making a list of 12 major ones each year for the last five years. Putting those 60 UFOs on the list hasn't made a dent in the total list. Well, maybe a wee bit. 

I've gotten some BIG projects done - at least the top, backing, and binding are ready to be quilted. But there are more! And sometimes, I'm not focusing on them. That's where the UFO Club comes into play. I know some people use the UFO Club to complete a current project, and that's OK. But for me -- I want to use it to complete those major UFOs on those lists. 

This month, I set TWO HUGE goals. I had to make those 18 raw-edge applique maple leaves. Well, they are now ready to be stitched; I pressed them in place yesterday. That was huge to get to that point. I had made a mess of the iron the day before, so that had to be cleaned. 


The iron got a bit messy 



 I also added a second task this month: finishing the sashings for the Farmer's Wife quilt. I wanted the name of all the blocks stitched on the sashing. The stitching was finished last week. Yesterday, I removed all the excess stabilizer from the back, and all 111 sashings are trimmed. They still need to be cut to the proper length, but this is HUGE. 




Trimming the sashing


I have to say that I did a great job with my marking as there was only a narrow strip left between the sashings. 


Not much waste


And here they are --- the sashing with the name (it's subtle, and it's supposed to be) are done and just need to be trimmed down to 6½". And this UFO Club and getting motivated? It's not about the $10 - it's about MAKING stuff happen! I need goals and deadlines to keep myself on track. 

Almost completed sashings


I'm learning that I can sew on my own at any old time. I like to sew, and it doesn't take much motivation to get me at the sewing machine, although I haven't turned the darn thing on in a couple of days. So I will try and use the Virtual Retreats and Monday sewing as days to do prep or trimming. Stuff that I'm not that keen on doing on my own. It's a perfect solution. At least it works for me. 

I did make a bit of progress on the binding of the double wedding ring quilt. You know me -- slow as a turtle. I'll throw on some video or something and get to work later today. A little bit every day, and it'll get done!!!

So now that I've figured out that little trick, I've got to evaluate my UFO lists to make sure that I'm optimizing my time!! Now that makes me feel great. It only took 20 years to figure that one out! 

Don't forget that there are TWO Virtual Retreats in September. The first is September 5 and 6 (Sunday/Monday), and the second is September 25 and 26 (Saturday/Sunday). 

I told the ladies yesterday that I will be hard-pressed to go back to a regular in-person sewing day. Why? Let me count the ways...............

  1. Zero travel time
  2. Zero packing and unpacking time
  3. Zero set-up time and dealing with people who leave early, so they don't have to tear down tables - Oh yes -- it happens and WEEKLY by the same people. And you thought we didn't notice!!!
  4. Zero waiting for the iron
  5. Zero issues with the temperature of the room
  6. Zero issues with not having a hot lunch
  7. Zero issues with forgetting a supply or part of the project at home
  8. Zero issues with traffic
  9. Zero issues with the weather and snow days
  10. Zero issues with cliques forming
  11. Zero issues about money 
  12. Zero issues about finding a space or sharing said space with another group
  13. Zero issues with organizing times


And here are some other benefits:

  • You get to talk to EVERYONE, not just those at your table -- this happens all the time, and since we tend to get there at the same time every week, it's always the same people we chat with. I MUCH prefer being able to talk to everyone.
  • You can ramble on about some random thing, and if no one cares - you don't feel like an idiot! You're just talking to a screen!
  • Everyone can participate from wherever they live.
  • Everyone can participate in the same topic, and we have some regulars regardless of which "table" you're at. 
  • We get to see the show and tell even if it's been given away. I just need people to send me those pictures!
  • We can look things up instantly on the internet if we need to and share them with the others on our screens.
  • We have Wi-Fi.



So what's the negative. Hmmm - NOTHING -- there's nothing negative about the Zoom calls. I really don't need to see these people in person. I'm not a hugger, and we never hugged at sewing, so nothing was lost there. I need human contact, but it definitely does NOT need to be in the flesh!!! I've lived far from family for years, and you get used to not being in direct contact with people - the contact is, but I don't need to see them. Yes - it would be nice, but it's not going to happen. Move on!


After we shut the call down, I got a quilt quilted. I'll need to trim that today. 

Customer quilt - DONE


I've been walking even though it's "hot". Yes, it's hot, but it's really not that bad. And look --- TODAY is my last day on the Appalachian Trail. I have 7.6 KM to get to the summit. I've already been to the gym this morning to walk a couple of KM on the treadmill, and after I walk the dogs, I suspect that I'll be very close to the end. By the end of the day, I'll have hit that mark for sure. It's kind of sad, but let's move on --- what will the next adventure be???? 




7.6 KM from the summit



I didn't get a note about getting my medal. Last time, as I approached the finish line, I got a note asking to confirm my address. Perhaps, they just send it. We'll see. 

Here's a picture that someone took of the summit!!! How cool it would be to walk part of that trail. One day, but it better be soon, before I'm not able to! Well - that's 20 years ago at least, so I'm good. 


The summit of Mount Katahdin

The view from the top is spectacular. I was able to see it on Google maps this morning. Gorgeous!!!!


And that's it for me. I've got sewing and quilting to do today and perhaps some more tidying up!! I'll be glad when all this tidy-up is done, but I'll be starting at the top of the house and working my way down again! This time, it won't take as long as there isn't nearly as much stuff. But I've got clothes that need to be given away. There are linens in the closet that need to be dealt with. Oh yes --- more stuff, but it will go much quicker!!! Yeah!! And when I hit the office, well, it'll be empty by then!


 Take some time to focus on what's important to you!!! How do you want to be remembered? I'll be remembered as someone who was constantly sorting and reorganizing! But at least I won't be leaving a legacy of paper and hoarding behind me! 


Have a super day!!!



Ciao!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Zoom is awesome! Living in Idaho, USA, I would otherwise never have taken a quilt class from you. And now #2 soonπŸ˜€

    One of my niece's started family reading club with her 4 aunts. We've had 2 meet-ups so far. It is so fun! We're expanding to more family members now as it is working nicely. We live all over the Western US including TX. So fabulous!

    Oh you are so going to love starting over on the declutter. I am amazed after 4 rounds that I still find stuff to get rid of. So much fun!!!! πŸ˜€πŸ˜€

    I'm now 6 weeks out of my knee replacement and about ready to try some extended time standing in my quilt studio. (swelling causes pain and I'd rather ice/elevate than take drugs so decisions are personal at this point).

    Happy Tuesday to you!

    ReplyDelete