Thursday, December 16, 2021

I need more fingers and toes

I'll start with the window update. So fourteen windows are entirely done, and a couple more are prepped and ready to go this morning. Those are sitting in the garage, and that leaves 12 windows to go and two days left to install them. If you do the math, I don't think they will make it. Two of the windows they did yesterday were small ones in two upstairs bathrooms. 

At some point, we needed to do a count and NO -- we seem to be one window short. I knew this was going to happen. Well, no - I thought the problem had been resolved. When the contract was put together, I remember that there was a discussion about a missing window. I counted the number of windows a hundred times and verified it to the contract many times. 

I knew a window was missing, and I communicated it to the sales rep. I thought we had resolved the issue. Yesterday, I checked the paper copy that I had although it wasn't the most up-to-date, and the error is there. I need to pull up the digital contract to see if that mistake got fixed, and I swear it did. 

We may have to way another five months for that last window!

But it makes me laugh, and I thought about this bench that we spotted this summer. It was part of a geocache, and you had to identify the number of fish on the bench. Ronda and I couldn't figure out the correct number -- OK -- we did but by process of elimination. 


How many fish are on this bench?

However, when Madeline and her friend and Little Bear counted, they got it right the first time. I still don't know how we could have messed this one up!

The same way the windows got messed up, I suppose. The installers and I will compare notes this morning to see the problem. I guess I need more fingers and toes to go higher than 20!

So I kept the paperwork but didn't make notes!!! GRRR!!! Let's see what the digital contract says. 


But the girls love the new windows. They can see for miles out the front window. They have been warned to keep their paws and noses OFF the window, and we'll see how long that lasts. 


MOM -- we can see for miles!


I'm tempted to put bubble wrap or sticky tape (sticky side up) on the window sills as they (Mom -- it was MURPHY, not me, says Lexi!) had rubbed all the paint off the previous windowsill. 

But now, the rest of the room looks sad. There are the old light sconces, which we rarely use, and they could disappear or be changed. And look at those electrical switches and plugs -- practically an antique. 



Old electrical outlets and a light fixture


And some repairs that need to be made with the tape. This could have been an issue with age, shoddy work, or perhaps some water damage, and we're not sure. How can we tell the difference?

Damage to the joint tape

The same things in this corner -- could be a combination of several things. Cathedral ceilings are lovely but a hassle to paint, and we have insulation issues which I'm sure has been part of the problem with damage. We have some terrible joint tape issues in the office, so it could definitely be shoddy work - my guess is that it's a combination of several things. I hate to paint if the water will seep in again. 


Ugly joint tape

And there are the floors which desperately need to be resanded. 

Floors need to be resanded


Oh great -- one thing is leading to another. But we don't have a budget to get that work done, and I'm not painting. I'll be saving up my pennies to hire people - we'll start with an electrician, and the one we use is in very high demand.  Now that we have lots of work for him to do, I might give him a call  -- some of our plugs have been replaced, and some have not. It's spotty! I don't know why we did some and not others. 

After three days of having people in and out of the house, Murphy finally realizes they are NOT here for her. Wow! -- could this be true? Only until the next person, she hasn't seen before comes in the house, and she'll try to be all over them. 

Murphy is calmly asleep while the work goes on around her


I got a small quilt done, and it's trimmed and ready for pickup. 

Customer quilt - DONE

Speaking of enjoying the windows, I'm not sure if you can see, but there is a light dot in the middle window. That would be Murphy. When I managed to get out with the girls late afternoon, Murphy MUST keep a vigilant watch to ensure that we get safely home and guard our house while Lexi and I were out! She is so cute!!!


Murphy keeping watch in the window


While I had a rather long meeting yesterday, spin class, and all the kerfuffle, I did manage to get some sewing done, but most of it was done this morning. 

I'm trying to get caught up with BOHO Heart. This is the sew-along that is hosted by Thimbles and Things. We are well into the quilt, and it's looking fantastic. 


BOHO Heart pattern


However, I was behind in getting my blocks together, and I wanted to get that done. I have a few more blocks to make for another quilt, and then I have to start the homework all over again so I can be better prepped for next month. 

Here are my blocks for the last three months. 

BOHO Heart blocks


These are the blocks for Month One. As you can see -- it's pretty bright - orange, pink, and red. I love it!!!


Blocks for Month One


And there's Month Two. I've been listening to Wild by Cheryl Strayed. I thought I had read this book, but NOPE -- I had not. So it's a good read about the Pacific Crest Trail, which I'm walking virtually at the moment. More about that another day. 


Blocks for Month Two


And there are the blocks for Month Three. Phew -- I'm now up to date. I wonder what the assignment will be next month? WAIT -- I'm the one who assigns the homework. I've been waffling about what to do next, but I think I figured it out this morning. 


Month Three blocks

And here are all my blocks so far. Yep -- that's going to be bright. But I LOVE it. 


BOHO blocks to date

Oh shoot -- I forgot to show you my learning curve project. Tomorrow!

I also made myself a HUGE list of things that need to be done. I remembered most of them, but with all the stuff going on, I just couldn't accomplish them as fast as they accumulated. So I hope to focus on that list today and get a lot of it done. 

It really should be about sending out confirmations to all the classes today. I'm going to try my best, and I'd better do it today because tomorrow, this office will be turned upside down. I'm even tempted to tell them that whatever windows they can't install can be done at a later date, and that would leave the office free for the moment until I can clean it up! And they can install it when the missing window comes. I'll think about that. Yes -- it would be nice to get it done now - I'll see what they say. 

And we need to get some of this dust gone. I can't believe how much dust was created, and it's going to take a LONG time to get rid of it. Room by room is all I can do. 


Don't forget the Virtual Retreat coming up this weekend. 


Saturday, December 18, 6 PM -- whenever

Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89254233911?pwd=VGQrTnFybW1HMWpleHA4M2Q2NGVwZz09 Meeting ID: 892 5423 3911 Passcode: 982797



Sunday, December 19 NOON - whenever (PLEASE NOTE THE DIFFERENT START TIME

Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87246635892?pwd=VGY1cUUyLzRaRi9VUVV2ZWFINXc2dz09 Meeting ID: 872 4663 5892 Passcode: 440473



And don't forget that we'll have a Virtual Retreat on Boxing Day (December 26) as well. 


It's time to get the day started -- the guys will be here early, depending on traffic. Even though yesterday was a cloudy day with rain in the forecast, it was warm for this time of year and had little rain. We have been so lucky -- I can't believe it. 


Have a super day!!!


Ciao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment