Wednesday, August 23, 2023

First Impressions


Every time you meet someone for the first time, you make a first impression of them. When someone meets you for the first time, they make an impression of you. And I don't remember the exact number, but it's something like you make that first impression within seconds? a minute? And there's the question of is a first impression right? And does it change over time?

Two things happened yesterday that brought this to mind. OH -- and there are some comments I want to respond to, which I'll get to later this week. 

OK -- so I was off to physio yesterday to see what they would say about my knee. I went to the sports clinic at my gym. It's not far and well, it's convenient. I wasn't sure if I would be able to drive my car, but all was well.
 
My appointment was at 10 AM and I didn't get in until 10:15 so that started off the first impression as I hate when medical people make me wait - unless it's an emergency, of course!!! 

When the guy came out of the room, my first impression wasn't good. He seemed like a bumbling (is that a word?) person and what was he going to tell me about my knee. So I told him the story -- the real story and then he had a look. Yes -- more than likely, this is a meniscus related injury and there's not a whole lot that one can do about it, except to strengthen the quad muscles 

Of course, there's elevating the leg, but the new thought on using ice is that ice doesn't do what people thought it used to, so he doesn't recommend ice. I'd been doing some reseach and I found that as well. Ice will numb the area, but does it really do anything beneficial? OK -- I like the elevate the leg thing because I can sit down and do nothing! 

Anyway, then he suggested that he do some traction on the knee to try and stretch out the meniscus which has more than likely been compressed HARD between the bones. OK -- let's give is a shot -- he's the professional after all. So he did traction, which was totally weird because he hooked a strap around my leg and using his body weight, he pulled. And he pulled and he pulled. This didn't hurt one bit except for the pressure on my leg. 

Then he did some shock therapy. Hmmm -- this is new to me. But he treated the affected area and that hurt! Oh yes -- that indeed did hurt. But I have to say that when I walked out of there, my knee felt much better. And the best news is that while it still hurts, it felt better all day and even this morning. I can actually walk like a normal person, albeit with some discomfort. It's like the pain has shifted and is not nearly as acute as it was. It's hard to explain. 

I need to follow up with my doctor about the X-rays and ultrasound (which will be totally useless now), from before and see what her recommendation is. Should I tell her what happened? But I'll continue with the pain killers if I need and while there is still some swelling, I have a much better range of motion. 

But one of the key things he said to me is you have to MOVE that knee. Just because it hurts is no reason to not use it and thank god he said that, because for me to NOT move would be - well, it wouldn't be good!! So I'm going to continue to move and I'll attempt to walk a bit outside and then I'll come in and elevate that leg and have a nap!!!!

While my first impression wasn't good, he turned out to be not so bad!!! So one must be careful with those first impressions. 

This second story has got me in a tizzy and I am going to let it go -- but only after I mention it here because I think it's ridiculous. I'll keep the details vague, but I'm sure many of you will figure this one out. A number of years ago, I met a very talented person and I was impressed with their skills. Over the years, that person has been very successful, which I think is a great thing. My first impression was spot on or so I thought. 

I don't even know when this started, but this successful person has an ego the size of North America and isn't afraid to show it. Now I don't have a problem with that, but it's how it's presented. When you hear things "I didn't see that coming" (and they have taped the event) or "I've been waiting", then well, I almost gagged when I saw the "I've been waiting" comment. 

I made a comment once on their social media about humility and it went totally over their head. I was so tempted last night to blast the person, but then I thought I would be lowering myself to their level and you know what -- I'm above that. So I'll be blocking this person from my social media, although I'm sure I'll still get notifications. But what kills me is the number of people who are congratulating this person. Oh -- "that's so wonderful." But people ---- you are PROMOTING the lack of humility. 

So that's an instance where I made a wrong first impression. 

I just don't get it -- I'm very good at what I do, but I don't go around flauting it (god -- I hope I don't) and well, it's good to be humble. 

So the other thing I noticed this morning and NO, I am not in a grumpy mood, but just observations I made. Here's some background into this thought. When I went on my first long distance cycle trip in 2010, I was away for three weeks and in the wilderness in Northern Canada with little access to anything - some nights there was no electricity. When I returned from that trip, I stopped watching TV cold turkey. It was all so frivolous -- what's the point of all this "noise?" 

And now as I looked at my e-mail this morning and saw MANY e-mails from companies and designers, all clambering for a piece of my time and my money, I said "it's all too much."  I'll be spending the day unsubscribing from as much as I can in one day. Some of it, I signed up for to stay in touch with trends, but seriously?? Do I need to do that? I don't need more of anything. I need LESS. So wish me luck with that one as some of those e-mails are hard to unsubscribe from. And some of them come so often -  multiple times a day! Who do they think they are to encroach on my space like that!!!!!! 

I almost think it going to be time for me to retire, so I can stay in my own little world and sew what I want to sew and not worry about what's happening out there. Do I care? Nope!!!!

And to reintegrate, I'm not grumpy this morning -- I'm actually in a really good mood -- making decisions like this are so freeing!!! We have to stop being at the mercy of everyone and everybody and for god's sake -- if you have FOMO (fear of missing out), get a life. The only FOMO you should have relates to YOUR OWN PERSONAL LIFE. What are you missing out of YOUR life because you are trying to keep up with everyone else!!!!!

And now on with the blog. 

Miss Lexi and I had a chat and she's mad at me because I don't post pictures of her. So here she is in HER spot on the sofa!!!!!


 
MOM --- this is MY spot and I'm watching you even though I don't move my head!


While Miss Murphy sleeps on the floor. Oh those girls --- we could learn a lot from observing our pets and not social media!!!!


I'm on the couch and Murphy is NOT!!!


Of course, Murphy has to do something cute as well. The competition between them is heavy!!! So she looks so cute and innocent - right? 

Mom -- just hanging out with you!!!!


Not when she is sleeping right in the middle of where I need to stand for the long arm. And she wouldn't move. Nope --- I need my Mom and if Mom has to step over me, then she steps over me. Mom didn't even step on me once, even though she is walking funny!!!!



Mom -- just hanging here if you need me -- I NEED you!!!!



I accomplished a lot -- remember --- this is my time and I need to be doing something!! It's pend up energy and I am happy. I did have a nap on the couch, with my leg elevated. I sat in the gazebo and listened to music. And I also did some quilting. 

I had a couple of the Barbie quilts that needed the binding on. 

Binding one of the Barbie quilts


Guess who helped? 


Mom -- just keeping your shoe safe!!!


I got the binding (one side only) on three of the Barbie quilts. There are two more trimmed and waiting to have the binding put on later today. I have that ninth Barbie quilt that I started to quilt over 20 years ago. GASP!!!!  Why I let things like that happen is beyond me! Anyway, I did not like the quilting and I wasn't going to work around the quilting, so I'm ripping it out. A great thing to do with an elevated leg!!! It's going to take a bit of time, but you know what? This is my time and I LOVE the puttering. I hope to finish it off today. 

Then there was the issue of what to bind it with once it gets quilted, but with all the odds and ends from the other 8 that Diane made, I don't think I'll have to worry about binding. 


Leftover binding bits



When I was sitting out in the gazebo, guess who was there to help me? Yes --- that dog is so clingy, it's crazy. I'm surprised she survived the four weeks that I was away!!!!


Mom -- I'm here for you!!! 


And there are the three Barbie quilts that I quilted yesterday. They are all attached to the same backing. 

THREE Community project quilts - DONE



I swear that it takes longer to prep the quilts for quilting (backing and batting), than it does to quilt them. And yes -- I got everything right this time. The backing was loaded properly, I set the Safe Zone correctly so it took only two advances to quilt them, not 7 or whatever it was the day before. I guess that means that I'm back!!!!!

Everything is ready to go for the next batch today so let's see how that goes. 

I must get some computer work done today and mostly I need to follow up on a few things. I haven't even been through the mail since I got home, but that's OK, but there are a few things that I should really take care of, while I have a bit of extra time. 

Anyway --- things are looking up and I'm feeling better and I'm happy!!! That's all that counts in my world. 

Have a super day!!!!!! And maybe think about unsubscribing from a few e-mails and see if your world crashes?? I get it that this is how these designers/companies encourage people to sign up for classes, buy fabric or whatever and if that is your thing, then stay subscribed. But it no longer works for me, so I'm hosting a private unsubscribe party!!!!! 

Ciao!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. YEA!!!!!! for unsubscribing. It is remarkable how many per day some companies send out! Who buys all this crap? I'd rather buy plane tickets :-)

    Happy Wednesday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey ...Thanks for share this First Impressions....Its Help Me!

    ReplyDelete