Thursday, August 3, 2023

Torres del rio to Logronos

It's OK. It's OK!! I swear this city has a thing for me and a bed. I'm OK and I'll tell you the story in a minute. 

I got off to a great start today. There were  not many in our room, so all was good, but I had to dig out those earplugs. Yikes -- so many people snore and the worst part was this was a group of three. One snored, the other two did not. Why didnˋt one of the other two not wake him up and move him. Or is that perceived as rude, even if you know the person?

You never know what you are going to find along the way and I came across the Red Chair Cafe (my name). This is a bunch of tables and chairs in the middle of nowhere and they serve food. So I stopped for a chocolate danish. Yep --- the eating habits are about gone out the window! Bring on the sugar. 

It was a pretty uneventful day and only 22 KM or something like that. I had thought of going part way through the next stage but the distance was too great for me until the next albergue. So take a short day as tomorrow will be long enough. 

The one blister on my big toe seems to be under control so that is good. Iˋm using my wool from the Wave Fibre Mill (near Parry Sound) to cushion it and Iˋm able to drain that one. The one on the little toe - thatˋs a whole other story. But the wool helps to cushion it and Iˋll try to drain the darn thing. I can't seem to drain it completely,  hence some pain. I do NOT unerstand why there is so much issue with that toe. This usually goes into a callus by now. BUT the important thing is that there is very little pain and I have no problenm. It's important to keep this all in perspective. 

Some of the steeper descents today were no problem and I remember last year - well , I don't want to think about last year. That was bad news. 

Lots of little ups and downs, but nothing great and while we had to walk beside the main road for a bit, we were mostly on secondary roads and trails through the land. The temperature is amazing -- I think the maximum was 25, a slight breeze, and lots of clouds. I even thought we might get some rain, but all was good. 

Oh here's a couple of anecdotes. There was a gentleman behind me who was HAPPY. He burst forth in song and I could hear him singing away to his earbuds. It brought a huge smile to my face as I listened to him - in Italian or Spanish. I can't seem to tell the difference. 

I ran biefly into Mike who was heading on to the next stage. Good luck!! The extra distance was 14 KM. I'm not that ambitious. 

And can you tell me why the men (only a few) think it's appealilng, attractive or conquers their stink if you spray yourself liberally with something? God -- I almost gagged yesterday in our room, when two of them did it. At least one sprayed near the window, but I thought I would die. Thankfully, I'm not a stinky sweater!

And one of the guys is in my room tonight. Yippe!!!! Hopefully, he's alreadys sprayed and he's on the far side. 

One thing about our room last night -- I was in the same room as last year (I think) and it was HOT then and it was HOT last night. I swear, everyone was naked on their beds. Well, not quite, but seriously!!! The people by the window closed the window and with the door shut, it was like an oven. Thankfully, it was beautiful this morning and I welcomed getting out of there. 

So now we arrive in Logronos. The city has made markers for the Camino with a metal logo on a concrete post. The very first one is in place -- all the others are gone! How sad that people need to have a souvenir and to steal something like that. Pilgrims or locals -- no idea, but seriously -- get a life. 

I arrived at the square at 11:30 -- take note of that time and you can see that the blog is very late So I had a great lunch and was even contemplating getting my sweater out of my bag. But I didn't. Last time I was here, I stayed at the monastery and they eat so late, I didn't want that. So I checked out the albergues and picked one near the square. When I arrived, I see that check-in isn't until 2 PM. That should have been my first clue that things weren't going to go well. Check- in is usually 1 pm. 


There were some comfy counches in the lounge and spanish TV playing, so I plunked mysel down to wait 1 1/2 hours. 

When the guy FINALLY arrived at 2 PM to do the check-in, he was S L O W. He would check in each person and then show them to their room. Good grief. I was third in line. However, there was no ROOM! He had two unpaid reservations and if they didn't show up, I could have one of the rooms. He phoned the first guy, who happened to be in the room. That was good for a laugh. The second person was somewhere else, but he made them pay while I was waiting. All he needed was a confiramtion. So the entire place was pre-booked and prepaid! Not super high-caliber. 

That entire process took FOREVER and Iˋm sure the people behind me were getting ticked off. I was getting ticked off. 

So - I grabbed my stuff and went back the way I came to the municipal albergue (half the price) and got a room. BUT not before they had trouble registering my CDN passport. Yes -- we have to show our passports at all places we stay and the swipe thing wouldn't work on mine. Then he tried to enter the number manually and that didn' work. 

Finally he asked someone to come and hep him and he smiled and did some keyboard things and I was good to go. 

Now to find the room. Up two flights of stairs, which with healthy feet isn't a problem. I managed to get a bottom bunk even though I was checking in so late. The Camino is providing yet again! 

I was a bit grumpy to say the least, but Iˋm OK now. Iˋve had a shower, dumped my stuff and I could really use something to eat! Bring on the sugar, but I really feel like chips. Where did that come from. Since itˋs a cool day, chocolate might be good. 

I will need to curb those habits quick when I get home. 

So Iˋve proved that I can find a bed in a city on my own. I think that was my biggest fear -- finding my way around a city and then getting a bed. With the apps that we have now, itˋs really no big deal. I remember coming in last year and I was on my last legs. My brain was gone, my body was exhausted and my feet hurt so I couldnˋt think and I ended up at the monastery, which was a good experience, but I will be in bed, long before they eat dinner tonight!!!!

OH -- I might add that the showers are one floor up from where my dorm is. Yep --- this is NO five star hotel. None of these places are. But at least there is a men's and women's separate washrooms. Normally, they are together! 

Something to keep in mind -- when things don't go as planned, sit back and think. Have a plan B ready. Things will work out -- do not let them get you down. 

And now as a reward, I need something to eat!!!

Hae a super day!!!


Ciao!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment