Sunday, February 25, 2024

What is your PURPOSE in life?

I didn't think I was going to make it this morning! I mean getting my presentations ready. I went to bed relatively late for me, but I got up when the PILL alarm rang! I notice that's my last one, so I must go to the drugstore to get more. 

But the presentations are ready. Yesterday, I wondered if I had enough content for one of them, but after putting all the pictures together, I wonder if I'll get a chance to talk! This whole business of sharing in the Zoom format is fantastic, and I've learned so much. Not only have I learned the techniques (talking digital cutters), but we are accountable to each other, and I want to be an active participant!! Yikes --- it's a crazy world, but I LOVE it. 

While walking, I remembered seeing some videotapes on the camera shelf. No idea what's on them, so I should deal with that now. When I got home, I discovered TWO new tapes, which went in the giveaway box. Two empty cases went into the garbage, and one tape went to the store to get transferred to a DVD. It's super easy to deal with a few things at a time, but this was only after a somewhat major sort through the contents of that shelf. 

More camera supplies were dealt with


The little tripod (I've got several - some I will never use - I must dig them out) went into my retreat bag. I often forget to take the big tripod to put the phone on to take a picture and then have to try to rig something up. This one weighs nothing and will be perfect to place the camera against. The legs are very bendy! It might be an excellent tripod to throw in my backpack for hiking!

I was pretty happy with my production level yesterday. I got a customer quilt done. 

Customer quilt - DONE


Then, I went to work on the Tequila Lime quilt. Those darn paper pieces were long and caused me no end of grief! Rip - rip - rip!!!


Paper piecing



But I persevered and finished the units for Group B!!!!

Paper piecing is DONE!


After sewing ALL the B sections, this is the scrap that I had. If I had cut the shapes per the pattern, I would have had MUCH more than this. It's all about learning to do things right, or in this case, economically!!! 

Scraps from paper piecing



While it was a bit chilly yesterday, the sun was out, and it was a glorious day!! When I returned from my afternoon walk, Little Bear and I sat in the gazebo for a few minutes! He's so cute, but I wish his tongue didn't hang out. Oh well, that's what happens when you have no teeth. 

Hanging out in the gazebo


And Murphy has taken to bringing the outdoors indoors. There were leaves all over, and Lexi left a nice pile of mud, which was now dirt so that all got swept up!


Leaves in the house


We are making significant progress on the EXIT Game, as we are now on Day 13 -- halfway! And we've only looked at those two clues. Yeah us!!!! But it's teamwork -- neither of us would make it on our own! Yesterday, we had to cut the top of the box in two! 

Progress on the EXIT Game


OK -- this quote screams ME!!!!

Super quote


Yep --- when I discovered quilting, I found my PASSION. Well, not exactly. It's hard to say if the passion is quilting or teaching! But let's say, in my case, it's a good mix. 

I finished reading Viktor E. Frankl's book - "Man's Search for Meaning". Holy smokes!!! That was a fascinating read. He was a psychiatrist who ended up in the concentration camps during the war. He has MANY insights into the world and why it's going the way it is - mental health issues, depression, suicide, etc. I'm not sure that I could wrap it up in a nutshell, but here is an article about the book. 

Guess what? This book was written in 1946, and the last part was revised in 1983, so what he says is NOT new, but our society refuses to change. 

The bottom line is that we need a PURPOSE in life. We need to have a reason to get out of bed each day. And WE alone have the choice to make those decisions that make us get through life meaningfully to each of us. Our purpose CANNOT be the same as someone else's! And SUFFERING is part of the purpose of life! It makes us stronger, and there is NOT enough meaningful suffering today. 

I listened to the audiobook (5 hours); if you get a chance, you should read it. It was fascinating. Thanks to someone on the blog who mentioned it. 

On that note, it's time to get the girls and the boy out for their walks. There are two Zooms this morning and a Virtual Retreat this afternoon. We had so much fun last night and some GREAT conversations. I was impressed, and when you want to know something, there's usually someone on the call with the answer!!!!

Here's the link for today. 

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82983517671?pwd=ODdsa1FJenQwdFNaQWFTNGd4bEhPZz09

Meeting ID: 829 8351 7671
Passcode: 117636


We're supposed to start at NOON, but my prior presentation may go over, so don't despair. Just come back!!!

Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!!







3 comments:

  1. It is an INCREDIBLE book. I first read it about 40y ago and reread several times before giving it away. My parents were young adults near Rotterdam and the few stories they shared are heartbreaking to say the least.

    Cheers to your successes AND following your passion :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A number of years ago, my mother hit a slump. She was having health problems, after all she was in her 80s. Then she started to make quilts. The difference was astounding!
    She'll turn 90 this summer and, even though I am 16 years younger, I motivate myself by channeling her!
    I do make quilts, but I also sew at least 100 ornaments each year, sew Christmas gifts for family and friends, make PJ'S for family and I make Barbie gowns for a local program that accepts donations of gently used toys. They get a lot of undressed Barbies. I made them promise to give more than one dress with the Barbies, because fashion plates need to change their clothes.
    Sewing is my passion and since I retired from teaching, I have the time to do it!
    Torry

    ReplyDelete