Sunday, June 17, 2018

Just get er done!


It's one thing to go on and on about getting something done and quite another to actually make that happen.

I have random moments of ambition. Yesterday, it was my novels. I've mentioned several times that I wanted to get my books (novels) in order. A couple of weeks ago, I finally updated the two computer databases where I keep my lists of books that I've read. One keeps track of the series and the next book to read and the other keeps track of ALL the novels I've read. Once the computer lists were updated, it was easy to print off a "next to read" list.

Then yesterday in a burst of energy, I took all the books off the shelf and determined if they were part of a series or standalone. The standalone books were all sorted and put onto ONE shelf in the bookcase. The series books were then sorted and I wrote on my "next to read" list all the books that I had in each series (by series). If the book was the next one on the list to read, that went in a separate pile and if it was just part of the series, it went on another section of the shelf.

I'm happy to report that all books are sorted, cataloged and back on their appropriate shelf. Now when I want to read a book, it's going to be super easy to pick. I can pick from the standalone shelf or I can pick from the "next to read" in a series part of the shelf or I can arrange to get a book from the library.

There is one further thing that I'd like to do and that is to double check the "next to read" against the library catalog as some of the books are no longer available at the library and that would then become a list to search for whenever I hit a used bookstore. There's a great used bookstore in Orillia (where I'll be in a couple of weeks) and a super huge bookstore in Chatham. Once that is done, then I'm good to go with the books. And I'm super excited that I actually accomplished one of the things that I've been wanting to for a long, long time. Does anyone else know of a good used bookstore??  OK -- Just scouted through the library database. One page of six is done and there are five books on my list to be found somewhere.

I'm a Virgo - what can I say - I like to organize, but the sheer volume of what's in the house has been a deterrent in the past. But I'm over that hump. I'm ready to get myself together - so watch out!!!

I taught a class yesterday. We were using the Quick Curve Ruler by Sew Kind of Wonderful. There were four in the class and while they did have a choice of several patterns, they all had chosen the same pattern. Yeah!!!!  They were making Chic Country.  Here are the blocks that were made in class.

Class homework

Sometimes I'll take some work for me to do once I get everyone going. I had taken a cutting project and although I did get a bit of work done on it, I wasn't completed. This morning, I decided to get it finished.

This is what I was cutting.

Batting to cut up into strips
 Yep - taking those cut-off pieces from trimming quilts and cutting them into 2 ½" strips.

Cutting 2 ½" strips of batting
 And here's the pile that's already been cut.


2 ½" strips of batting
 The scraps leftover are in a separate bag and will be used to stuff pet mats. So NOTHING goes in the garbage. NO -- I do NOT want your batting scraps.

Pet mat scraps

Yes - I realize that you can now buy rolls of batting that is pre-cut into 2 ½" strips, but where's the fun in buying it when you can make your own and reduce waste at the same time?


Rolls of batting strips cut at 2 ½"

After my little cutting episode this morning, the stool where the tote bag of batting was sitting is empty.

The bag with the batting scraps is gone!
 The scrap bag for the pet mats is overflowing.

Overflowing scrap bag of batting destined to fill pet mats
 And here's the basket with the cut strips. The strips will be joined using the fusible tape (which I make myself from yardage of fusible interfacing - the knit stuff with a bit of stretch in it). Gosh - I sound like a pioneer woman! But I don't care if it takes me forever to make something. The point is to make something, not to speed through it and onto the next project. I like using up old stuff and this makes me happy.


Basket of cut batting strips
 What can you do with those batting strips?? Loads of things. Make rugs (already made one and making more). You can use the batting strips to make baskets and bags. The best place to look for patterns in on this website where they sell Auntie's Two patterns. Loads and loads of stuff to make.

When you cut batting on the cutting mat, it craps up the cutting mat.

Lots of fluff left on the cutting mat
 I use a kitchen scrub brush to clean the mat off. I'm sure I'm taking a very thin layer of the mat off at the same time as I notice the green coloring on the back of the scrub brush. That's OK with me. Now my mat is nice and clean and ready to cut fabric.

Use a kitchen scrub brush to remove batting residue from the cutting mat
Whenever I trim a quilt, I keep the leftover batting provided it's about 2 ½" wide. I've always done that. I had TWO bags full - I usually accumulate one per year. In the past, I have given them to a guild so they could join the larger pieces and use them for small items like bags, placemats and such. I hadn't had a chance to give away the one from last year. I had planned to give it to someone and we just never had a chance to meet. I sorted the larger pieces from one of the bags that will be good for those smaller items (it's up for grabs if anyone wants it) and there is ONE more bag to go through. I'll take the narrower pieces and cut 2 ½" strips from them and the larger pieces will also be up for grabs. Or I'll end up using it myself which I do. But how many batting scraps does one need?


Bag of batting scraps to sort through
 In future, I'll trim the strips as they are cut from a quilt. The cut ones will go in a separate spot to be used to make bags and rugs depending on what's happening. The larger pieces will go into another bag. It doesn't take a whole lot of room to store and better than having to buy batting or use bigger pieces when I just need a smaller piece.

If you're OK with joining the batting to make small items or even to cut up those bigger pieces to make your own rugs/bags with "fabric/batting tubes", let me know and you can take what you need. But you have to come and pick it up  - I don't deliver.

Today is going to be HOT. We've already been to the dog park and I really didn't feel like getting my butt out on the bike although I should be out there.

I'm going to hibernate in the basement studio where it's beautiful. My goal is to work on the stuff that's on the cutting table. Some of it only needs to be put away, some of it needs to be worked on.

Stuff to work on today

And let's not forget the half-finished bags that are hanging out at the sewing machine. I might work on those as well.

Half finished bags to be worked on
I'd really love to play with scraps and do something else, but I have a responsibility to myself to get these half-finished projects done!!!!!

Do you want to see what I bought the other day for the backyard???


New seating for the backyard

Since we now have some decent space on the deck, we decided that we wanted some furniture. We got this two-seater unit with the umbrella and extra cushions - not sure how they ended up being orange!  The girls are not sure what it's all about because the unit is placed right in the path of their speedway across the deck. They're not too happy about it. Ronda helped pick up the unit since it came in a huge box and fit perfectly in her van. She helped to christen the unit. Thanks Ronda!!!!!

I got home from teaching yesterday and decided that I would like to really give the unit a test. I got my food, a bowl of watermelon and sat outside. When I got tired, I lay the back all the way back so it was completely flat and had a great snooze!!!  I'm loving it almost as much as the gazebo. The gazebo will work in the early afternoon when it's shady, but when the sun moves around and shines in the gazebo, I can move to the deck lounger! I'm set for any time of day!!!!

On that note, I'm behind for the day and had better get to work.

Have a super day!!!!!

Ciao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment