Thursday, February 2, 2012

Doing DOUBLE duty!!!!!

Taking on all these projects and writing articles and EVERYTHING takes a LOT of prep work behind the scenes. If I can take advantage of doubling up - why NOT!!!!!

Case in point - I needed some pictures for my upcoming article in A Needle Pulling Thread. The article is pretty much done (one more review today before it goes to the editor) but I need pictures to illustrate what I am writing. Hmmmmmm - what do I have that needs to be done that will showcase those points????  

AHA - I have some blocks to make for the block of the month at the guild. They will be perfect.

Now in TRIPLE duty of that project - I thought I would share with you what happens when I need to make a block. Do I hit the stash????  NO!!!!!   I hit the scrap boxes. Honestly - what am I going to do with all that stash - I mostly use those scrap boxes. Just kidding - I do use that stash, but I use the scrap boxes equally as much.

Here is the block that I am going to make - came from  Quilterscache called New Waterwheel

Dig out the blue and white scrap boxes

Find scraps to make TWO blocks

TWO New Waterwheel blocks - yeah - they are DONE and I got my pictures (which you won't see until they are published in the magazine)

Got another customer quilt done. And I am TOO nice. I swear - I need to measure these backings as they come in, but I often don't get a chance when they come from the customer. The quilt size - 107" square - the backing - a wide backing, but that is 108" wide. I NEED at least 4" inches on that one side otherwise - it is a nightmare and just not big enough. So I had to regig the backing (don't worry - I charge them for it), but would be nice to get one that I don't have to do that. Anyway - it is done. Got to trim it later today. 


For those of you working on Dear Jane or any other hand applique project - here are some tips for hand applique.


I use SILK thread (comes in 50 weight or 100 weight), but lots of others use regular piecing thread. Use whatever works for you. Samples - make samples!!!!!!!     I can't say enough about making samples!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Make a knot in the end of your thread. Start anywhere (preferably on a long smooth edge) - definitely NOT on a point. Bring the needle up a few threads inside the applique piece

Then insert the needle into the background fabric RIGHT BESIDE where you initially came up in the applique fabric, travel along under the background fabric and come up the desired length of your stitch and back into the applique piece.

Now we arrive at that corner with all that excess fabric that I told you to leave until now. Stitch TWO stitches on top of each other right at the point to help secure the point and make it easier for you to SWEEP under that excess. This is the easy corner - trim a bit of that excess away (there is a better picture below). Then using the tip of the needle SWEEP that excess under the applique piece and hold with your thumb while you stitch. 

This is the opposite point - notice in the previous picture that I was following the flow of that excess fabric, now I am coming to it from the opposite direction. This one I find is harder than the previous one. 

Trim off the excess fabric and using the needle SWEEP that excess under the applique fabric. I have a better picture of this sweeping below.  You may find it easier to turn the fabric right around and sweep from the other direction.

Finish appliqueing the two pieces and press those diagonal lines to aid in the placement of the next set of pieces

Glue the next two pieces to the background

Holding that excess under the applique piece with my thumb while I stitch

To SWEEP under that excess - you may find it easy to turn the project around and using the tip of the needle (where the arrow is), SWEEP that edge under. This is something you must try - if really is easy, but make sure you trim. You get a PERFECT flat point every time. 

TWO blocks done!!!!!!!



Well I have editors on my tail and customers who want their quilts and THREE days of classes/sew days at my house starting tomorrow. Hmmmm - I think I am going to busy today as I write, edit, photograph, tidy up and quilt.


Have a great day!!!!!




Ciao!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment