Saturday, February 11, 2012

Progress AT LAST.................................

The sun was NOT shining so sitting in the living room enjoying the warmth would not be calling me, I had NO novels on the go, so that could not be calling me either. Hey - I actually got some work done!!!!!    Yeah!!!!!


Where do I start?????   Oh yes - with the quilts of course.


Customer quilt - DONE

Shell motif in each block

Spiral in the border

OK - THIS is one that has been on the shelf for a LONG LONG LONG time. Our guild got involved with a couple of teen groups at one of the local high schools (through our community work). Anyway - the teens were learning to embroider and made these blocks. I got all excited MANY MANY MANY years ago and said I would make them up into kids quilts. This top (and backing and binding) were made a long time ago and sitting in the pile to quilt. Well it got moved into the work for January, but got done in February which is NOT bad. 

Just some simple quilting, but it is cute. 

Got the binding on by machine on one side. Then I let someone else in the guild do the binding. Hey - I've done a LOT already. 

There are MORE blocks - I just dug them out  - I think there are enough for five or six more of these little quilts. OK - INSTEAD of taking a new project from the community projects to work on each month (this month it is gift bags), my goal this year will be to finish those embroidery blocks AND three other small quilts to quilt for the guild. Yes - I CAN DO IT ALL!!!!!!!!   It really is a question of writing a list and following the list and FOCUS on finishing - NOT starting something new.

While some people are OK with making significant advances in the projects (HEY - I am OK with significant advances as well), but enough is enough. Some of these have been hanging on too long and require finishing. I personally want them done. Let's just say that so far this year - I am VERY happy with my progress. Not huge, but I can honestly say I am making a dent. A small one, but a dent!!!!!

It is fun to write them down too - who cares when I am gone, but it is neat to look back and see how much progress is being made. Now the one thing I am NOT keeping track of - are those ongoing quilts. Yes - I am doing a LOT of work on some of them, but CANNOT show you until it is time. Those students of mine will be working ahead and we can't have that. I mean they are e-mailing me and ASKING for next month's assignments already!!!!!  

Speaking of ongoing projects - I am back into Elm Creek again - Sylvia's Bridal Sampler.


Here is one more block (still from December) - OK - so I am BEHIND

The blocks so far (ooops - my FLAT STANLEY is in the picture - Hey - it's a Where's WALDO moment!!!!)
Another one of my BRIGHT ideas - sign up for the postcard exchange. That means I have to make eight postcards to exchange with the others. This one came in the mail yesterday. I wonder if that smidgen of orange is for me or did it just happen that way??????    Anyway - I have my materials out to make mine - just not quite there yet. 

This is a class sample that I am trying to get done. There is a LOT of sewing here. 

BUT - I managed to get all the frames on the blocks this morning. FINALLY - this took a lot of time or maybe because I am flitting between many things. But now to cut the sashing and figure out how to sew the blocks together. It will be a surprise. 

Here is my February project - 12 for (20)12. Making decent progress on the background which is the most work, but again with all the pieces cut out - it really isn't taking that long - just sewing bits and pieces in between the framing of those other blocks. 

I had worked on this the other night which watching the video. It is called High Strung. Marian and I are working on it together. Well she is doing one and I am doing my own. I sewed all the squares together for her - she traced the applique pieces for me. How cool is that. So they are all cut out and ready to assemble. This project is from the book called "Tis The Season"


'Tis the Season by my favourite girls in Moose Jaw - Jeanne and Shelley. Did you know that this book is in its SIXTH printing. I mean that almost NEVER happens in the quilt world. Granted the runs are NOT huge, but still - SIX RUNS - IMPRESSIVE. Jeanne and Shelley are hard at work on their THIRD book and their first line of fabric - Shasta is on a slow boat from Korea we speak - should hit North American shores by the end of the month. They are hard at work on their SECOND fabric design. I think this is so exciting for us Canadians. 
 Check out their web site The Quilt Patch. I ordered that bundle of orange (oooops - SPICE) flannel FQs from them yesterday. Talked to Jeanne for a bit and she is sending me a present - OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH - I like presents. I told them to send everything EXPRESS. Anyway - it is exciting - and I'm not even part of it!!!!  

Oh yes - I plan to go back to their out door quilt show (and help hang it of course). That is in July and there is a red/white quilt display. I have a red/white quilt that just needs a bit more quilting - OH - got to move that to the ACTIVE quilting pile. Would be nice to get it done.


OK - quick as that - this quilt went from the INACTIVE pile to the MUST GET DONE pile. There is only one problem - this quilt already has the binding on and the outer borders are NOT quilted. It is minimally quilted and I want lots and lots on it. I will be able to load it on the long arm to do all but the outer border - will have to do that on the domestic machine and it is going to be a pain because there is NOTHING to hold on the edge. OH WELL - live and learn. 


And for those of you in the Toronto area - do you know why it turned cold and snowy all of a sudden?????  


Yep - it is because of ME. I decided to AT LAST reassemble my bike from my trip last year. It's been in the garage in a box - couldn't ride it because of my injury. Well - I got it partially assembled. At least it will be ready for the next nice day. 


I did a lower body workout at the gym this week - very carefully and other than some muscles that haven't been worked in a LONG time, I feel fine. My knee bothered me a bit that night, but wasn't a big deal.


Went to a Pampered Chef party a couple of weeks ago and got these great STONES for baking. I already have one, but wanted the pizza one. It is hard to cook a round pizza on a square tray!!!!!    So when M and I were baking cookies for the boyfriend - I used my new stone.


Pampered Chef stone

Anybody want to come to a Pampered Chef party?????   They are loads of fun and I really like their products of which I have way more than I realized!!!!    And I use them all. And I don't even cook ...........   much!!!!!



Listening to this 10-10-10 book has got me to thinking about a lot of things. Like the fact that your child is going to a semi-formal for school. I bought her a nice, black (and reasonably priced) chiffon type dress, SHE paid for the shoes because I did not agree to the MASSIVE PLATFORM AND HEELS and AQUA SUEDEness of them. Then yesterday when she is leaving - she bounds down the stairs with shoes in hand and NO PANTY HOSE. I mean - what is she thinking????????    She has this impression that she is FASHION CONSCIOUS, but what the heck???????    NEW HIGH shoes, FREEZING cold temperatures and NO PANTY HOSE.

Oh well - in the perspective of 10-10-10 - it really isn't a big deal. There are many days when I can't wait for her to move out. Then what she does - well I don't have to think about it.


Now here is something else that used to bother me and I think this is why we need to play LOTS and LOTS of board games when we are kids. I never played a lot of board games when I was a kid. But when I started to play Scrabble several years ago (on-line mostly), I was desperate to win. I HAD to win which was impossible because sometimes - you just can't win. I would look up words on my PC based Scrabble program, I would insert my letters into one of those word scrambler programs searching for that HIGH scoring word. Then I played a couple of games in real life and was HANDICAPPED - severely handicapped. I weaned myself off ALL those aids and now I just play from my brain. Yes - sometimes I win, sometimes I lose, but MOST of all, I get enormous satisfaction knowing that I played MY best. Not the computer, but me!!!!! And if I lose - well I lose - suck it up and DON'T LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN!!!!!   Just kidding - sometimes you just get the worst letters ever and you can't help it.


On that note - I have another quilt to load on the machine today and a class this afternoon and one more tomorrow. And I am behind on stuff so I had better get myself organized.

But - I FEEL GREAT. I am EXCITED - not sure about what - but I am EXCITED. Oh - more books to pick up at the library????


Anyway - have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1





Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment