Sunday, February 26, 2012

Spring has SPRUNG!!!!! (sorry - just the February reveal)

Although it is colder than it has been in a while - it still feels like spring!!!!

Yesterday we had the first reveal of the year for Spring has Sprung.  Here is the quilt pattern we are working from....................


Spring has Sprung booklet by Country Quilts  

Country Quilts (Cheryl Wall) is a Canadian company and we have used her patterns in the past for our $10 quilt. No - the quilt does not cost $10 to make. That is the class fee - if the homework is complete then the participant gets to continue WITHOUT paying a penalty of another $10. Let's see how the students made out.......



Linda P wasn't at the class, but I saw her homework last week and took this picture.  I see she changed up the flowers on the watering can and changed the position of the half square triangles AND the placement of the trowel. 

Mary D changed the flowers on the watering can and ADDED embroidery (stem stitch in black) around the trowel as the colour contrast wasn't strong enough. A great fix for this situation. 

Kathleen has great colours with her purple flowers and purple background. And the stripped fabric for the glove - AWESOME. 

Joyce did not like the gardening glove and added a bird bath instead. Perhaps she needs to be a bird on it as I thought it was an urn. Oooops - of course I was looking at it from the back and I got mixed up in the orientation!!!!

Mary M put darker handles on the watering can.  I love that and I really like the fabric for the body of the watering can. I see an orange flower  (I wonder if that was for me??????)  

Kay N - I see she has TWO orange flowers on her watering can, as well as a small butterfly under the handle.  Yes her third HST was done - I had it on the table to do a demo afterwards. 

I see that Diane put an orange flower on her block as well. I love the striped fabric for the glove!!!!!  

Kathie redesigned the watering can. I love it!!!!!!!

Barb (who says she hates applique) did a GREAT job on these blocks. She has a poultry theme going on with the gardening glove. Even the red background has roosters on it. Very cute!!!!!

Kay T has very cute fabric for the gardening glove. Oh - where are those HST??   I am sure they are done. It looks like she made the watering can from one piece of fabric. Hey - why not?  
Lynda M (who sent me this picture) - love the floral fabric for the glove. And I see she changed up the flowers on the watering can and also how it was sewn together. 


These blocks are mine. I am using the same colour thread (dark brown) to button hole stitch around all the pieces. That makes the stitching go quickly. No changing threads and NO decisions to make. 


Guess what - EVERYONE IS UP TO DATE!!!!!!!  

And now for the homework for next month - here are the blocks.....................


The homework that has to be ready for March reveal. There are THREE applique blocks one pieced (the Churn Dash) block. Good luck!!!!!!

Here are my blocks for the first two months. And the best part - everything is finished - all the applique is done, these blocks are trimmed and sewn together as much as they can be. Can I keep up for the rest of the year???????


I need YOUR help. This is the face from the booklet for the rabbit.

Yes - it is kind of scary. I told everyone that is is a COMMON face for primitive art. Then I get home and search the internet to find the story of the face or EVEN other faces and I can't find anything. I have e-mailed Cheryl to ask her about the face, but can anyone help with the significance of the face??????  



There are two people in the class who are working on something else. Liz is working on a project from the same book, but did not want to do applique so she is doing the quilt called Simply Squares.

Simply Squares quilt from the Spring has Sprung booklet
Liz's assignment was to make 96 small four patches. Here they are!!!!!!




And Susan is working on an applique quilt that is completely different from the rest.
Grandma's Country Album quilt - I so want to make this, but I am being reasonable. I just can't squeeze more time out of the day. But I have split the quilt up so she has an assignment every month. Hmmm - maybe in the summer????   Don't even think of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


And here are Susan's two blocks for this month. Great job - I LOVE LOVE LOVE the fabric she used for the sky. 



And there you have it - all thirteen participants have gotten their homework done for this month. No one had to cough up money!!!!    Well done!  And the inspiration - colours, use of fabric, stitching, well - they are a pretty amazing group. I CANNOT wait to see the final quilts at the reveal later this year.


That was the FIRST of FOUR classes I taught yesterday. I am running to Tim's to get a tea (large, black with TWO sugars) before I start on the next blog.


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I have read a little on folk art and they say that when an artist created an object with the the face of an animal, they may have wanted to express their(the artist's) response to the hard life they were living and in some cases they had specific religious/spiritual beliefs regarding animals and their significance in the world.
    Sandra R. BQG

    ReplyDelete