Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A few of my favourite things................


OK - no heavy stuff today. No show n tell today - I'll do Elm Creek show n tell tomorrow. Today  is a mish mash of photos I've taken over the last couple of days.

I have decided that if I am going to be a guild member that I need to be an active guild member. OK - that is stupid to say because since I joined the Brampton Quilter's Guild, I have been a pretty active member - President for two years, organized the quilt show THREE times and on the quilt show committee for a few other shows. I have done some of the sewing for community projects, but this year, I decided that I needed to do more sewing for them and back away from the administration stuff.

This month - I quilted that baby quilt with the hand embroidered images - surely I posted a picture. Well if not - here it is again......................


The baby quilt that I quilted for the guild


I don't really like making place mats so I decided that I would make gift bags. Yes - these gift bags are used at Christmas time, but why not get a head start on them. I picked up TWENTY kits - each kit makes THREE bags. Oh yeah - and our meeting is on Thursday this week. So.........................


Got that fabulous serger out and was serging away. I think I have about 7 left to serge and they take mere minutes to serge each one

Then have to run those serger threads into the seams to lock them off. I also put FrayCheck on those ends to ensure they don't come out

I have HALF of the ends in and will get the rest done today. Then just have to turn down the top, stitch the casing for the ribbon and then I will be taking them to the guild with bodkins and I get some of the other members to help thread the ribbon into the casing while we are chatting. 

I was reading a magazine called Bicycle Times the other day. The article was about Bruce Gordon - a fellow who lives in California and makes bicycle frames by hand. He made this comment in the article which as someone  who also makes things by hand I found so PROFOUND -  "Most people don't even interact with someone that physically makes something with their hands. As a result, they don't really have a concept of something that's really well-made."  


Now doesn't that just give you some insight why people don't appreciate the value of the quilts that we make??????    I thought it was brilliant. I am going to have to keep these kinds of comments in a special place and use them for my digital scrapbooking!!!!!


Speaking of bikes - I have an issue to pick with CAROL. Yesterday at Elm Creek class, she mentioned that she had seen a laptop case in a store around the corner that had bikes on it. After class, I went to have a look. Well there was a laptop case, a smaller laptop case and then there was this..........................

A case for my iPAD.     How cool is that!!!!!!!!

I thought long and hard about the laptop cases - could I use them for something other than the laptop since I never take my laptop out of the house. Then I decided to look around the store and I also found this..........
A linen tea towel - same design called Bespoke

And it all goes great with my water bottle!!!!!!!
 Don't worry - I've done an internet search for more items and contacted the various people at the company. Yes - I do my homework.

Speaking of bikes (one of my favourite things) and orange (my favourite colour) - have a look at this...........

How about this quilt top from my favourite store out west - The Quilt Patch

Close up of the bike fabric

Orange ribbon (it's double sided - blue on the inside) - Thanks Liz
An orange tin - it was empty, well the orange ribbon was in the tin. I love it - it is tiny and cute - have to find something cool to fit in there. Thanks Liz!!!!!!
My bundle of SPICE flannels. Can't wait to make something from those. I LOVE them. 

And wouldn't these be cool to own????????????????


Burnt orange soft pumps. They are not expensive - just from a store in the UK. Hey Marian - next time you send me a link - I want Canadian stores!!!!!!!


 GUESS WHAT'S BACK??????????????????????????????????????????????



It's ROLL UP THE RIM at Tim's - I'm so excited!!!!!!!

Then I had to rush home to find my RIM ROLLER. I thought I knew exactly where it was, but NO - I had to search for a few minutes and while searching I came across a couple of other things

My nail hardener (I desperately need to use it on a regular basis - very soft nails), an ORANGE pencil case (this orange thing has been happening a LONG time) and since it had pencil crayons in it - I went to all those places where pencils/pens and such were stored and put them all together in the case. And I found a great pack of Staedtler pencil crayons. How different are them from the others????   I don't know, but I have a plan that involves pencil crayons so they are all together now. 
 And was it worth it to find the RIM ROLLER???????   (thanks to Margo for that)
Yep - I won a COFFEE on my first try. Now I have won TWO things in two days - I want to know when I am going to win the car!!!!!

I was a bit behind on the border/backing/binding project - but I managed to get this binding done for this quilt. I had to buy the blue as I did not have enough of the border fabric to make the binding. There are TWO quilts here. They are both in the TO BE QUILTED pile 

This quilt just needed a backing and it too is now in the TO BE QUILTED pile 
My mom is into making cards and every Christmas, Valentine's Easter and our birthdays - we all get a hand made card. Beads, embroidery, etc.   You see where I get this obsessive nature from??????   Oh yea - my parents - no doubt about that. 



On that note - it is time to get to work. There are classes to prepare for, block exchanges to finish, gift bags to complete, papers to sort and e-mails to write.


Hmmmm - not that I want to add something to my pile, but I keep getting asked the same things over and over again - I should write a book about it and then give people the book. Got to work out the logistics of that.



Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!





Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Those orange shoes are divine. They are perfect to wear with your MK bag.

    Your mother's cards are beautiful. I luv getting cards, those would send me to tears. Please post them each time you get one.

    ReplyDelete