Thursday, October 25, 2012

The WORKSHOP


I'm behind - I have so many ideas written down and so many pictures - stuff comes up and there just aren't enough days to blog it all!!!!!


Jeanne and Shelley from The Quilt Patch (in Moose Jaw - the web site is back up!!!!) not only entertained us with their beautiful quilts at the 20th Anniversary Dinner for the Halton Hills Quilt Guild, but they led us through a wonderful workshop the next day.

What did we work on???????????


The project was High Strung - the quilt on the cover of their FIRST book (Tis the Season is the name of the book)


Here are some pictures ...............................


Not even sure whose this was??????????????

Another mystery project!

Everyone hard at work

It was Barb's birthday that day - so we sang Happy Birthday to her!!!!


Daphne hard at work laying her top out

Now another important part of any workshop is the FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


We had coffee and tea and GOODIES!!!!!!!!!!!!
 By the way - Marian and Daphne took charge of the lunch and what a lunch we had. They asked the attendees to bring in some goodies.................


AHA - a little mouse tester got into this one!

How about this one?????   A little more tasting if you ask me. Of course, one must make sure that the goodies you bring are in fact GOOD!!!!!

Laying out the plates for sandwiches

We were so LUCKY to work in this beautiful kitchen in the church basement. We had LOADS LOADS LOADS of room. 

Bev wandered in to help us. That is me in the green shirt. YES - ME in the kitchen. I guess someone trusts me in the kitchen or perhaps there wasn't anybody else available. Of course I only had to make sandwiches and heat up the soup. Under Marian's supervision of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh good - you can't see this very well - first - I DID NOT bring an apron so had to wear a tea towel to avoid getting  food on my nice t-shirt. And with that look on my face - I would say I had been drinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Marian made a YUMMY soup under the tutelage of her son the chef. Although the soup contained only tomatoes, the secret ingredient were the spices that if Stephen told us - he would have to kill us!!!!   It was DELICIOUS.   But we did learn a lesson - never listen to your husband. The soup was frozen in zip loc bags. Jim said - oh yes - that will thaw out overnight in the cooler - NOT!!!!!   We had to slowly heat up those bags of frozen soup, but we had them thawed out and HOT HOT HOT by the time lunch rolled around
Marian dishing up the soup. I wonder if there is any left - I never even thought to bring some home. I LIKE soup for lunch and it was YUMMY
The SOUP line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bev helping get the goodies prepared.........



Now did anyone actually get anything done in class???????????????????  



Karen managed to get her flimsy done - she is going to contemplate the batting/backing/quilting issue. YES - she did NOT do the same pattern as everyone else. 

Judy got hers cut out at the workshop and continued to work on it at Monday Motivators. Judy's face was BEAMING as she mastered the buttonhole/blanket stitch and started to stitch around the stockings!!!!!

If anyone else finished theirs at the workshop - I did not get pictures. You see - we made a HUGE mistake at the lunch. For some reason, we did NOT even think to use paper plates. I know - have you ever washed dishes for FORTY people. Seems that we spent the morning getting the sandwiches and soup ready and then the entire afternoon washing up. DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   We were NOT thinking.


We had a guild meeting this past Monday and I expected to see something from the workshop - have a look.................



Liz got her top together. Rather than randomly placing her green  squares - she has them set out in a pattern and I believe she modified the top part as well.  Looks Awesome Liz!!!!!!!

Anne (who modified the design a "BIT") got her table topper together, quilted and almost bound or maybe it was completely bound. I LOVE that border. Great job Anne!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joan made this runner by only doing the applique part of the quilt. I believe it was COMPLETELY done - quilted and bound. Wow - Great job Joan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


And then there is Judy!   I am not sure what I can say about Judy. Supposedly she works full time (although I really am starting to doubt that), she belongs to a couple of quilt/fibre groups, spends time with her family. Well I am thinking she is super human and doesn't require ANY sleep.

Judy decided to make hers a BED size quilt. She doubled the size of the applique border and then had the quilt top together, quilted and ALMOST BOUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I mean - what the heck is that??????   AWESOME Judy - you put us all to shame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


And me? You want to know about mine????   Well I didn't attend the workshop because I was in the kitchen!!!   But Marian and I started this project months ago - might even have been last year. And what is the progress???????


All cut out and ready to stick on the background. Got to get over Halloween first - then I can move to Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I think Marian's MAY be a bit more advanced than mine. 




Thanks again to Jeanne and Shelley for providing us with a wonderful workshop, Daphne and Marian for the most amazing lunch ever, and everyone who attended the workshop. It was a FUN FUN FUN day.


Here is a link to The Quilt Patch blog so you can see the workshop from their eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!


The Quilt Patch blog




On that note - it is time to get to work. Yesterday was another one of those ERRAND days - I seemed to pop from one errand to another and didn't get anything concrete done.


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I CANNOT believe how far these ladies got! Quilted and bound?! What the heck!? Maybe they'd like a job making QP samples!!!

    ReplyDelete