Sunday, October 7, 2012

Family Ties



Family - ah - you can't choose them. But do you know who your family is???

I spent some time in the summer when I was home digging around - looking at farm steads, cemeteries, collecting paperwork, etc. A number of years ago, my Mom had sent me the name of a distant relative who lived in the Toronto area. I finally decided to get in touch with him. No e-mail address, no phone number - so I had to WRITE him a letter. He contacted me in the summer and we finally met up yesterday.

Oh boy - what a day. So - his grandfather and my great grandmother were siblings (total of 8 siblings). I don't know what that makes us, but it was an interesting day. He has spent a lot of time digging through records and I am NOT talking Ancestry.com - oh no - he would physically visit the various research centers or wrote letters requesting information. He is a retired cop - good investigative skills and he has copious and meticulous records!!!  He gave me a brief overview of his career and I bet he has pretty interesting stories to tell.

To make things easier to decipher for himself, he has put together this chart with all the information he had gleaned..


Family chart

Wayne and I 


I was really glad I touched base with him. Apparently some of the family members (his grandfather's siblings - great uncles - lived and died very close to ME!!!) - Well it is about a 20 minute drive so that is close!!!   I hope to go and have a peek around the cemeteries and farm stead in the near future. How cool is that!  And my paternal grandfather (who has passed on) has a picture of the house in the middle of Vancouver of another sibling. Small world!!!!   I am going to try and collect this pictures so I can put them into Ancestry. No one puts pictures in that database!!!!

Of course - I spent last night on Ancestry.ca trying to decipher all the information. I had a TON of paperwork that I photocopied in the summer from my Mom, that I think came from Wayne. I need to go through it - one piece at a time and verify the information in my family tree. Oh boy - yes - this is exciting and fun, but you have to be on your toes. It would be VERY easy to get the Sarahs and the Janes and the Sarah Janes mixed up. And we did - for the longest time - we thought my great grandmother's name was Sarah Jane. Nope it turns out she was a twin and there was a Sarah AND a Jane. How cool is that!!!!!!!

I did a bit of shopping (for those darn storage cabinets), but didn't find anything that I liked or would fit in the spaces. So I got home and after MORE searching online - I decided that what I had was the BEST thing and this is what I did.


I have to find another home for the sewing machine and I emptied those boxes that had M's stuff into this three drawer unit. It is on wheels and so she can move it around as she sees fit. Oh boy - isn't that exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And after MUCH research, I decided I wasn't going to get better than this. So I put the wheels on and it fits PERFECTLY under the drawer of my sewing table. I've already filled it with those stupid little loose projects that were floating around. I have room to put ONE MORE unit under there. Hmmmmmmm - what will I put in it??????


And if I rig up that shelf on the right hand side of the machine, I will move the narrow black cabinet from the back to under the shelf and then I have room for TWO more drawer units at the back of the cabinet. HOWEVER, when I looked around the studio - I was wondering what I would put in there??????  Can you believe that?????   Room for two cabinets and nothing to put in them??????   I might have an idea, but not going to pursue it as this moment. I don't need them, but I have room for them. Just means that my mind is going to have to do some thinking. Actually I have some stuff in a closet and I have to move it every time I want something so that is what I should be focusing on - how to clear that mess up.

Don't you love organizing?????   I could do this stuff all day. I just love when things come together!!!!!


Now Marian did NOT send me a picture, but I am going to her house later today so I should sneak upstairs and take the picture myself, but her husband attached a shelf to the wall on the right hand side of her sewing cabinet. That works too - whatever it takes to make more efficient space. I'm still going to talk to Joe to see what he can do.

I have some VERY talented ladies (and family members) in my Dragon Star class. Andrea had  her husband scan her fabrics and the line drawing of the quilt and "assembled" the quilt in Photoshop. Awesome job!!!!!


Andrea's "quilt" in Photoshop

 Now even though I am NOT supposed to be starting any new projects this year, sometimes it is necessary. I have two classes coming up and no samples. I should at least walk through the patterns or I won't know what I am talking about. One of them - a Judy Niemeyer pattern - you MUST walk very carefully through those patterns. A LOT LOT LOT of information and sometimes you have to "decipher" it.

Wedding ring - bed runner
I want to make it from batiks from my stash, so I pulled out ONE of the batik buckets. 


And this is what I choose. I have a light (not batik) for the background. Do you know how hard it is to find a light "plain" batik. Almost impossible. Anyway - I have since eliminated some of these out but haven't made any progress on the actual runner YET
My second project. Again an upcoming class. I have wanted to make this FOREVER and now is the time. Again - paper pieced - do you think there is a pattern here????  

And my fabrics - I have to find the background for this - I have it around here somewhere. Better find it quick!!!!


Got the binding on Elaine S quilt - she is coming this morning to pick it up. 

 Now I have been doing some more sorting which I will share with you one day, but while sorting through this stuff, I came across this treasure.    Hard to judge the size, but let's just say that it is 40 inches wide. Does that give you a hint???????????????

A found treasure

OH MY GOD - I remember buying this fabric when a store in Kitchener/Waterloo was closing MANY years ago.  DOG fabric

And there is a LOT there. I guess I have more stuff for backings. It now resides with my bolts/rolls of fabric NOT tucked in a corner. 

Pat went to the quilt show in Chautauqua, NY
 She brought back this FQ of orange. Hmmmmm - I've go to do something with them. OH - I just remembered something I saw in a magazine - Yes - this would be a perfect start to that project. Maybe I will allow myself to start ONE new project for me in the new year. Thanks Pat!!!!



Another book to read regarding Mount Everest. This fellow's story is terrible as he was left for dead on the mountain.  I know his story, but not from his point of view. My cyber friend Heather is sitting on a neighbouring mountain (Makalu) right now waiting for a weather window to make a bid for the summit. I am not sure how long they have been on the mountain, but they have been waiting for about one week for a weather window and so far the winds have been too strong to attempt the summit. Me - I think I will stick to adventure cycling!!!!


Speaking of cycling, I came across an article about "Captivating Cape Breton" from the Toyota owners magazine  (Fall/winter). Here are a couple of quotes from the article....................

"If you travel clockwise you will be on the inside lane, meaning closer to land on your right and a safer distance from the steep drops to your left. If you driver counter-clockwise, immediately to your right is a drop to the jagged coastlines below, but a terrifically unobstructed ocean view. Whichever direction you choose, fasten your seat belt for a roller coaster ride of crests, valleys and hairpin turns."


No kidding - if you are in a car - I would recommend driving it BOTH directions - I mean - you are in a car - what the heck!!!!   And you should be a passenger on at least part of it - do NOT drive both ways. You WANT to see. If you are on a bike - definitely do it clockwise. It is more "gentle" if there is such a thing on this trail!!!!

Here is another quote" Cycling is both challenging, with its high winds and hilly terrain, and rewarding with some of the most spectacular views on Earth."


Yep - I can attest to that, but it is such an amazing ride!!!!!!   I think I would do it again, although knowing what is up ahead - is that better than NOT knowing????


AND I did get a block (s) completed for another block exchange. It was one that I was behind in so one more done. Sorry - no picture. I got the next one prepared and hope to finish it today. Still BEHIND, but making progress. That is all that counts.



That was a mish mash of stuff today, but what can I say - that is just the way life is!!!!!!!


Oh that note - I have another Halloween quilt to get done today and MORE organizing. I know EXACTLY what I am going to do with that empty space.


Have a great day - Happy Thanksgiving - don't eat too much turkey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment