Tuesday, October 29, 2013

SCRAP HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I made it!!!!!!!!!!!   Five incredibly full days and I survived!!!!   And pretty much intact despite this cold TRYING to take over, BUT my immune system must be in pretty good shape because other than a bit of early morning "clear the head stuff", I am doing not bad. I must must must get my sleep or I will be toast!!!


Even though yesterday was a busy day - it was for me and I got to sit down. That was a welcome change.

Yesterday may not have been the most productive day, but I got things finished and for that I am EXTREMELY happy.


Label sewn on a quilt - that one is DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Another label on another quilt - DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to search for one date and then I can print off a few more labels and get those quilts ready to take to Monday. That pile is slowly decreasing. Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!  You see some of the quilts have the information on a piece of paper attached to them, sometimes the label is already made, but not stitched down and other times - there is NOTHING on the quilt.

The other day, I was trying to make up a batch of labels (got to keep ahead of myself and not be running around at the last minute to get things done - Oh I try - you don't know how hard I try!!!). So I am trying to make a label for this quilt....................


It is a teeny tiny quilt. I started by digging out the pattern (you see there are pillow shams to go with it and I have EVERY intention of making them). Anyway, found the box with my miniature quilts stuff and there was a photocopy of the pattern. It was from Issue #38 of Miniature Quilts. No date on the photocopy so I went to the actual magazine and it is dated November 1998. Sine I started to quilt in October 1998, I seriously doubt that I made that quilt right then!!!!


I remember sewing the binding on as we were hanging one of the Brampton Quilt Shows. Hmmmm - which one?????   Thanks to Bernice (who is the convenor and had all the programs) - she searched and found the show that this quilt was in. Can you guess the date???????



OH MY GOD - it was 2001!!!!!!!!    Bernice was happy that I wasn't rushing things!!!!   But twelve years without a label???   Well - it will have one now!!!   Thanks Bernice for looking up that information for me. I am sure there will be one or two others.


BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING FROM YESTERDAY was this................



This is BLOCK EIGHT from the gingerbread quilt. Finally - it has been - well it has been a number of years. I finally got all the circles stitched down yesterday and then I was going do some embroidery!  BUT - when I looked through my black handwork box - NO HOOP!!!!   And I don't stitch without a hoop. OH CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!  BUT there is LOADS of prepped work in that black box - so I just whipped out this and got it finished. 


The center swirl was a pain to stitch and it looks a bit off on the red side - but I DON'T CARE - well I do care - I am very happy that this block is DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pat loaned me her version of the gingerbread quilt. She used FOUR small blocks, not 14 like the pattern calls for. This is a nice setting, but not the one that I want to do. 

Close up of the border. Apparently I gave her the idea to do the flying geese border!!!!    I better check the date on the label of Pat's quilt so I can get an idea when I started this!!!!


When Pat dropped off her quilt the other day, she also brought me a present. Here are the TEN little blocks that she did not use.


TEN little blocks from the original quilt. 


I think I need THIRTY-TWO little blocks. When I finish making mine - I will have 14 plus Pat's 10 - that makes 24. I will still have another eight to make. No big deal!!!!   I am going to make all the big blocks at the same time and then - if I can't find someone to pass them onto - (they ONLY get passed on if that person is actively working on this quilt!!!!!!!!!!! - do you hear that Rose and Flo?????    First come, first serve on those!!!!!!!)

If I don't end up passing them on - I saw a gorgeous quilt at the CreativFestival that would be perfect for them.


I just have to say - DAMN that Jackie!!!!!!!!!!!!   You see - she started us off on a scrap quilt thing. Each month we get ONE pattern for a scrap quilt. And you know I was hard at work cutting through my strips and getting those various sizes organized.

Here are the TWO bags of UGLY fabric strips - 1 1/2"


Well - this is what I have so far and just no time to get the entire top done.


My version of scrappy "Not Just Any Rail Fence" by Jackie Syer

Of course - Anne had her top COMPLETED at the guild meeting last night. She would have had it quilted but she did not get the backing and batting as she had planned.



Well - we got a NEW pattern last night and I may just have to dig out those scraps again. I mean - there is lots and I can always cut more for the log cabin if I have to. No shortage of stuff to cut if it comes to that.

AND I am taking a workshop with Jackie on Saturday and I really LOVE  TWO of the THREE quilts available. SO..............................     I have a LOT of cutting to do between now and then. BUT I do not look at this as starting a new project - I look at this as getting rid of the scraps. You saw those boxes the other day and they are over flowing. I have already dug out TWO boxes of the same fabric type (you'll see tomorrow) and I will start cutting and see how far I get. Then I must choose a different scrap colour/style for the second quilt and if I am still feeling perky - I will find something for the third quilt. Those scraps HAVE to be used up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On that note - I am late this morning, and now I have a LOT of quilting and paperwork to catch up on.


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment