Wednesday, March 18, 2015

And the teacher becomes the student!


This is going to be short.  It is another crazy day and I don't have loads of time.

Face to face teaching is getting serious competition from online classes. This comes in the form of videos where you get no feedback to interactive classes where there may be thousands of students from around the world at one time connected - I know - that number amazed me as well!

While I like to watch the videos and rarely take online classes (I do NOT have the discipline required to complete the homework - OK - I have the same problem for IN CLASS classes! -  It is VERY hard to be a student when you are a teacher), I like the interaction that happens with me and the students and the students to each other.  I have seen many friendships develop as a result of classes or sewing days. Yes - you can have on-line friends, but it isn't the same.

For me, NOTHING beats the in class environment. The immediate feedback, the suggestions from the others, the warm and fuzzy feeling when you see the light bulb go on.  What is even more exciting for me is when I learn from the students.  It all builds on that quilting community and while the "younger" people may be happy with on-line communities, nothing beats the good old fashion face to face!

Now this comes in the form of a student providing tips. But it mostly comes from the questions that I am asked by the students. I love the technical aspect of quilting. I love to know the techniques, but more importantly, I NEED and WANT to know the WHY.  Why is one technique better than another? Why does that happen when you do this??   And most times, I can answer the questions.

However, yesterday the question of binding came up. Now there are some very simple instructions for binding. It doesn't have to be complicated, but the questions I got were complicated. Upon further questioning, I see what the problem was.  A bit of research and a very early start to the day (because my mind is racing) and I am ready to report on the binding issue. I will be posting some very interesting information about binding because it is one thing that MOST instructions that I found (in books and on-line) are WRONG.

OK - that is a bit of an exaggeration. They are not wrong, they just don't tell you everything. And that is WRONG.

So hang on - I will let you know the whole scoop very soon.

And I would like to thank my class for asking those questions. Their questions have made me a better and more informed teacher. I will NOT change the method that I do my binding, but I have some very interesting views on how to do it!!!!

On that note - a spin cycle awaits me at the gym.


Have a great day!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment