Sunday, March 15, 2015

Call me preppy!


Yesterday I had an AHA moment. I realized that I LOVE to prep projects. I could look and touch and feel fabric all day. I love to sort it, I love to figure out how best to use it, I love the calculating, I love the "what do I do if I run out", I love the labeling and sorting and bagging.  I am just a NUT!!!  But seriously - I love to do that. I also love the sewing part, but I never seem to get a lot of that done and when it comes to finishing? I'm not so good at that!!!

Before you think you can hand me your stuff to prep - think again!!!  I have so much of my own, I certainly do not need anything of yours to prep!  But figuring out what to do with boxes of scraps - yep - that is for me!!!

Did you have a look at that mystery from the Black Creek Pioneer Village??  I realized that Step One was the fabric requirements. That's a no brainer - I am using scraps and if I run out of scraps - I will cut the rest from yardage to create more scraps for the next project. So Step ONE - DONE!!!!   Step two has THREE separate sections for cutting and sewing. I have all the lights cut for all three sections. The medium (red) and dark (brown) are on the cutting table, waiting to be cut later today.   I also finished the prep on that other quilt that I want to make. It is all in a bag and waiting for some sewing time.

I did manage to tidy up the two LIGHT scrap boxes, but they are both ready to burst if much more goes in there. I am also using these light scraps for the Itty Bitty Blocks from Quiltmaker.  But there are a LOT of smaller pieces. I know what I want to do with them - just need some time!!!!

Last week instead of having embroidery club on Wednesday morning, we went to the Mississagua Guild to help with the Outreach program. We make up kits, some people sew, some quilt - can you guess what part I do???   Yep - thought you would figure that one out!!


The quilt that Tish built!

She is busy quilting it

Lynn putting borders on her quilt

Pat is busy sewing something

Oh - there it is!  Some panels she is putting together. Notice how she has set up a little sewing corner for herself. Ironing board, cutting table, sewing machine. She made herself right at home!!!!

This quilt was getting backing and batting raedy

Diane was working on this quilt. We had quite the conversation about the direction of that strip. Technically it is a vertical print. But I tried to convince her to use it horizontally. who is really going to care!!!!  And there were four pieces - perfect to get the right length!!!  We had a moment of misunderstanding when she was insisting the pieces weren't long enough and I was saying they were. Then I realized that she was taking into account the direction of that strip. Funny how we all see things differently. 

Lots of hands on deck make fast work!!!

The "shopping" area

Look what landed on my cutting table - I CAN'T help myself. I am attracted to the brights. 
 Next time - I will try to work with some of the florals because I have great ideas for those as well!!!! OK - that is not going to happen because I have a couple of other pieces (brights) waiting to be prepped into kits!!!

I managed to get ONE kit completely cut. Mary (from Monday) is lamenting that she is running out of projects. So I am going to keep her busy with the kits from the Outreach. She doesn't even belong to the guild but that is OK. It will be WIN WIN for all of us.

Bright kit for Mary to sew!!!!


Then we had Thursday Therapy this past week as well. Another awesome day!!!!


Mary (not the same Mary who has nothing to sew!) is making bags for her daughter's wedding shower!  They were all different and had a zipper. Very nice!!!!

Paula got her duffle bag completed

including the covered button!!!!   She thought the pattern said "covered button" instead of "covered bottom!"   We all had a good laugh over that one!!!!!

Susan was working on log cabin. This makes me want to get out some fabric and cut a log cabin. This is GORGEOUS!!!!!!


Each time we meet, our sewing groups are getting to know each other a bit better. We know each other's secrets (which we will NEVER share), but NONE of are willing to go this far........


Washrooms under renovations!!!!!

Actually - there was another washroom that we could use. But I had to laugh as I bypassed the "DO NOT ENTER" sign to see what was up. I knew there was some renovations going on as the men's washroom has just been completed. Can't wait to see the new bathroom when it is done!

I've been busy working and I have tons of pictures to show you. They are all edited and tucked into folders and I will get to them - a bit each day! I have NOTHING to do today. Well - I have NO appointments, NO classes, NO one is coming over. I don't even have to get out of my PJs if I don't want to.

But I have big plans for the day - I hope to clear off the cutting table  (and not just swipe it clean - no everything needs to be processed and put away properly!!)

Messy cutting table

And the ironing board and the floor around it


Plus I have two quilts I would like to get done today. So it won't be stressful, but it will be busy!!!!   Wish me luck and pray that I don't get distracted. I don't have time to get distracted. What - NEW FREE PATTERNS?????    Where?????   Check out this web site - you will be drooling before you scroll too far down the page.   NO NO NO - we cannot start a new project.  Many patterns are FREE, but others can be purchased.


My kid is finally getting the gardening experience. I know - she is a bit late for that. But we now have broccoli growing in our front room.

Broccoli - yes I have told her to keep rotating the pot so they grow up nice and tall


This is the tree outside the front window. That blue spruce is FULL of birds. In the morning, they are all a twitter and it is cool to listen to them!!!!!   I need to trim the tree, but they live there and I don't have the heart. We can't open the window because of the tree. I know - I need to trim the tree!!!!

On that note - I am out of here to get some work done.

Have a great day!!!!!!   Get outside - it is going to be nice!!!!!   The girls and I will go for a walk later.


Ciao!!!!!!!!

1 comment: