Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Binding by machine - ICK!


For those of you who want a solution to the off balance temperatures in your house caused by inefficient heating and ventilation systems - the solution is to throw money at it! I recently visited a house (granted it was a large house), but it had FOUR furnaces.  Two in the basement and two in the attic. I think that means there were 4 air conditioning units as well. WOW!  Seventeen separate temperature zones!  Can you imagine?  The house is probably extremely comfortable, but I can't imagine the cost and now you have FOUR filters to clean, not just one.  Oh yes - I forgot with money like that, there is probably a live-in handy-man to monitor the house!

I'm finally getting in the groove of getting some sewing/quilting done in the evening. It doesn't always happen, but I try and I actually look forward to it. Last night was getting most stuff prepped for the retreat. This is an item that has been sitting around for two years and I really really want it done. 

Last night, I layered it and quilted it.  My first time working with the foam batting.  It feels weird, but quilted up just fine. 




Foam batting

Item is quilted!
I'll share this item when it is complete. It is the urgent basket for the retreat.


With all the cutting and trimming, my little bowl on the cutting mat was getting a bit full.  Time to dig out the pet mat bag and stuff it.

Scrap bowl is over flowing!
Gosh with all this prep work, I don't need any of those scraps under the long arm to make pet mats. However, I decided to dig out two bags of scraps and get them used up.  I notice this person cut the scraps into teeny tiny pieces, so I wouldn't be tempted to "steal" any of it for my string quilts.

Bag of SCRAPS
And one more pet mat is done!

Pet mat


Next up was to put the binding on by machine on a green quilt. I'm calling it a green quilt because the quilt is like the green screens used in television. Here's a simple description of what that is. We will use the green quilt (or in our case - grey) to map fabrics on it.


Through the magic of video effects and technology, you can superimpose your subjects onto virtual backgrounds, place them over animated digital backdrops or transport them to a desert oasis. You can shrink down a full-grown man so he can stand on a tabletop, use visual effects to make him fly through the sky like a superhero or simply simulate your own TV weather report. 



Well you know my love/hate relationship with putting the binding on by machine. I hate it!   And here's an ugly corner to justify my feeling. 
Ugly corner - which I fixed

Nice corner
But I still hate the look on the back!   I must learn how to do this better.

Ugly back of the binding
I think what I dislike is the inconsistency.  Sometimes, the binding looks great and other times, it looks awful!

I see there is a class offered at QuiltCon - now to get in!

Anyway - this project is done. One more off the list and tonight, well, I've got a few more projects lined up.

Have a great day!!!!


Ciao!!

No comments:

Post a Comment