Monday, June 27, 2016

That was easy!



Like I said yesterday, prioritzing the packing for the retreat is boring!  OK, it's not that bad!  But it means that I have to do some things that I don't want to do - like fussy cutting the striped fabric to make 16  eight-pointed stars.

It's been several years that that fabric has sat there and I've avoided it.  Now I'm teaching this class once again and I vowed that this time, I would get it done.  If Ronda can sew her 16 blocks at the retreat - then I can sew them also. But I had to cut them first.  I was also afraid of how much waste there would be.

I laid out the fabric this morning and then an idea hit me. I tried it and it worked, with minimum waste and was super easy.

Since that diamond is symmetrical, I could crease the striped fabric and then cut the 8 diamonds along the fold.  Then I would only have TWO cuts per diamond, not four.

Efficient cutting of striped fabric for diamonds

Place the template on the fold


Oh my goodness - it was super easy and there was only a little bit of waste between the diamonds. How clever of me!  And why didn't I think of that sooner???

One fussy cut diamond from striped fabric!


I had 16 of them to cut.  That is why I was avoiding it as well - that's a lot of cutting. But I managed to get all the blocks cut, including the background and it's in the retreat box.


Little waste!

The "yardage" when I was done cutting the diamonds

I also managed to get a small wall hanging quilted for a customer.  The second one is loaded.  I just felt a bit tired - well my back felt tired today, so I didn't quite get as much done as I had planned. But what I got done?  That was just awesome!!!!

Customer quilt - DONE



On that note - I'm out of here

Have a great day!!!!!

Ciao!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like the yardage leftover from your diamonds could be included in your bag of strings!! Love the diamonds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AH - not so. That yardage is a smidgen too small, but that would have been a great way to use up that leftover bit!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete