Friday, August 31, 2018

It's a small world after all........ (Part One)

Ever been to Disney and went on the Small World ride? Then you can’t get that song out of your head? Well - it’s a small world for sure. Two things happened yesterday that were weird.

First let me tell you about my light bulb story and then I’ll tell you the weird things. I’m away again and I still haven’t got this iPad buffer thing looked after. I’ll try again when I’m home to figure it out with the Apple store people.

We’ve had a number of electrical issues around our house. We are NOT into fixing or repairing anything electrical. Granted, we do change light bulbs. But the rest of it - we call the electrician. The list had been growing and I finally got around to calling the electrician to come and fix all the stuff. Broken lights, broken light switches and installing a new light.

In light of his coming, I needed to buy some new light bulbs for the outdoor lights which seem to burn out at an incredible rate. Have you recently purchased light bulbs? It used to be that you could go to the store and EASILY identify the kind you wanted and buy them. If you wanted outdoor, it was marked on the box in big letters. Well, I had to search and search to figure out which ones to buy for a regular light socket and that were good for outdoors.

It’s written in teeny tiny letters In a box on the side of the packaging with a whole pile of other DO’s and mostly DON’Ts about the light bulbs. As an “older” person, I’m supposed to read that fine print? Seriously???  I could just make out that the temperature range was from -40 degrees C to + 40 degrees C. But it wasn’t easy. Now how stupid is that? Make that darn packaging easy for people to read. Otherwise, I see a lot of dead light bulbs and wasted packaging - or perhaps that’s what is supposed to happen???  There’s also a sign in the light bulb section that tells you how to buy the light bulbs. First identify the type of socket you need, then it was something else (maybe the wattage) and a couple of other things. I think there were five steps - NONE of which was the temperature in which the bulb was to be used in. Good grief - people don’t know that there are indoor and outdoor light bulbs.

Here’s the other thing about light fixtures. I wanted a new light installed in one of the bedrooms to replace the kiddie fixture that has been there since we bought the house 15 years ago. I bought an inexpensive light fixture. Oh yes - that was one other thing - many of the bulbs said that they were NOT to be used in a closed fixture. The fixture I had purchased was a closed fixture. I explained to the electrician that I didn’t think I had the correct bulbs for that fixture. Guess what? The light fixture has a BUILT IN light. When the light dies, you need a whole new fixture. Seriously????  I mean - that’s insane. The light fixture was only $20 and it’s supposed to last thousands of hours. Since it’s in a room that doesn’t get used often, that won’t be in our life time at that house. But seriously - that’s very bizarre.

We had a light fixture under our cabinet that had stopped working. Was it a bulb - there were several small ones. There was a loose wire somewhere, but his recommendation? The next time something happens - replace them all - there are much better ones on the market today. They are NOT that old. I’m seeing a terrible waste here and let me tell you abou the plugs. I found a bag of wall plugs and I said since we had them, they might as well install them. Well, he could do that, but just so I know that these plugs (the square decora ones) are NO LONGER up to code. The NEW ones have some tamper proof thing in them. So the old plugs are going to the recycling depot and I got three of the new tamper proof for the kitchen counter. And we finally have a new door bell!




Used book sale

No comments:

Post a Comment