Friday, August 17, 2018

The BiQUE Ride - Day Five - Part One

After all that rain from the day before, the sky didn’t look so promising in the morning, but there was no rain and it turned out to be a glorious day.

Very quickly we were out of the city of Kingston and on our way again. I must have been really psyched because I was cursing along at a fairly past pace. Not sure why - it just happened. And I always leave early. I try to be at breakfast at 7 AM and out of there by 7:30 AM. Which isn’t hard to do considering that I’m very much a morning person and usually up around 5. When you don’t really have anything to do in the morning it’s not hard to be ready. I mean - really how long does it take to pack the suitcase?

The weather was beautiful - a little bit of cloud cover and the temperature was coolish. I almost wanted to put my wind vest on in the morning, but decided I didn’t need it.

I completely missed the truck in the morning for the snack. Oops - well it happens from time to time. And while I had food with me - that was my afternoon snack. So I stopped in Rockport. I don’t remember stopping in this place on previous strips. I’m thinking it was just was rinky-dink little town. Gosh - it’s quite the place with the main attraction being a dock for tours of the islands. Very touristy. I used the washroom and bought a chocolate bar and I was on my way.

My system is going into sugar overload on this trip! Not really - I always do this on a bike trip - chocolate bars and especially Snickers (because of the nuts and sugar) are excellent sources of fuel on a bike trip. I enjoyed it, but won’t crave it when I’m back.

By this time, I had gotten in touch with Mary (the wonder of cell phones) and we were going to meet in Brockville for lunch. I wasn’t sure what time I was going to arrive until I got on the road. But it appeared that I would be able to do the 80K by lunch. That’s insane. BUT - for a good part of the day we were on the bike path beside the 1000 Islands Parkway. That’s a treasure. It’s the best bike path around. You’re completely on your own little highway and you can literally fly along. There are a few inclines but not much. And there are equal downhills. We did 442 meters of climbing and 446 meters of descents. So it pretty much equals out at the end of the day.

I passed the place where Susan and I went zip lining a couple of weeks ago. That was neat - it was even nicer when we went zip lining and I saw the bike path and knew that I would be back that way in a very short time and not in a car.

Let me finish this in part two.

No comments:

Post a Comment