Thursday, August 23, 2018

Thou shalt ......................

As I mentioned a couple of days ago, quilters in my age category are really starting to curb their enthusiasm for buying fabric. That's probably not a good way of putting that - our enthusiasm for new fabric will never die - but we need to be realistic. Some folks have really made a conscious effort, others are getting to that stage and well some days - we all have weaknesses. I've been really, really good. I still buy, but very little and I do try to buy only what I need to finish a project off (most times).

Let's do some simple math to see the magnitude of our situations. Let's say that you have 10 kits. Each kit is going to take you at least ONE week if you were to do it all at once. That's from cutting to putting the label on. So 10 kits - that's 10 weeks. But you know that you wouldn't be able to focus on those 10 kits for 10 weeks, so the 10 weeks is more like ONE year. How many kits do you have?

Then factor in the UFOs, the quilt-along, the BOM, the mystery quilts. That's why I think it's an absolute MUST if you're serious about getting things done, you MUST keep a list of everything that you make. Each block for the sew along, each mini quilt for the swaps. How much of your time is consumed with these projects? I know it's fun to get stuff in the mail, but honestly - how much of what you receive is what you like? I was involved in swaps way before Instagram and Facebook were around. I'm done with that after I realized that one year, I spent the entire year doing stuff for others and NOTHING for me. I kept a list which I still have around here somewhere.

I've got a list for this year. I'm at 45 FINISHED items. And there is a stack of stuff that just needs binding. This does NOT include any quilt tops that got moved to the "to be quilted" pile. It's FINISHED stuff. That's huge - I'm not talking blocks either - FINISHED quilts or bags or wall hangings or sets of placemats. That doesn't even come close to the total number of things that are sitting here waiting to be finished. You see what I'm saying about the math?

If you don't have as many UFOs as myself (and who would be that silly to get themselves in so deep?), I'm sure you have patterns, kits, or fabric that you bought for specific purposes. We need to think twice about what we do.

In light of that, I have my TEN QUILTING COMMANDMENTS that I need to put in a frame or tape to my studio wall.


Thou shalt....................

1. NOT start ANY sew along, mystery quilt, or swap

2. NOT rescue ANY UFO from another quilter

3. NOT start ANY new project without the intention of getting it finished quickly

4. NOT offer to finish a quilt for someone else under any circumstances

5. NOT buy any fabric or kits unless it is needed to finish a project

6. KEEP a list of finished projects so one can see that progress is being made

7. CREATE a list of 12 projects (UFOs) for the year that needs to be focused upon (my dirty dozen list)

8. FOCUS on the list of projects (from number 7) on sewing days

9. CHOOSE wisely the projects you work on. Make sure they make you happy or get rid of them.

10. CELEBRATE the wins. Each time a project gets completed - celebrate!


And that's my Ten Commandments that I'm going to live by in my studio. Seriously - it's a disaster and if I don't come home one day, NO ONE will be able to make heads or tails of a lot of the mess. My goal is to get it to some semblance of order. I can do it and I've made good headway in the last year. The more I complete, the better I feel and the more I want to complete. Even some of those old projects - that feels even better to get those done!

Speaking of finished projects - here's one that I finished yesterday. No WAIT - I actually finished TWO things yesterday.

I finished quilting the magazine quilt and the long arm performed beautifully. GRR. So I'm going to try the computer again (on one of my own quilts!) to see if things are OK. Then I need to dive into that pile of customer quilts. Keeping my fingers crossed. Anyway, I was putting the binding on the magazine quilt and looking at the time. Then I realized that it needed a quilt sleeve. Oh - well, that got stitched on while I listened to my audiobook. A quick picture (for my records) and then it was delivered to the UPS office.

Back home and finished the binding on another quilt - one from that big stack. I was having a look at it and a lot of the bindings are stitched to the back - they just need to be stitched to the front of the quilt and how long does that take? Not even a half hour for a big quilt. OK - I need to get myself in gear. Today is a sit n sew day and that stack of quilts and the sewing machine are sitting on a table downstairs - I'm going to get at least ONE more done. As I mentioned before - if I could do one a day - that would be awesome and some of the things are small so it will take even less time.


Here's a picture of the binding that I finished yesterday. I'm seriously going to have to set up an online shop to get rid of some of these quilts/table runners. Since I've been on this finishing kick, the house is getting a tad overrun with quilted projects.

Binding is completed!
As I was sewing this binding on, I thought - oh boy - I've got the entire evening to work on something for me. Then I realized that I had a class last night. DUH!  But I managed to make a start on my rug. I had made the BIG ball of cording a while back and now it was time to get the rest of it completed. I LOVE that huge sewing table surface for sewing the rug. It's going to be a snap to get the rest of that done. I'd work on it today, but someone else will be using that table. Perhaps tonight I can finish it.

I'll be teaching the Jelly Roll Rug at Oh Look Fabric on October 17 in the evening. If you're interested, give the shop a call and get signed up. Lots of tips - it isn't as easy as it looks. 


Starting to sew the jelly roll rug


Last night, it was all about making rope bowls. I LOVE teaching this class and the students were amazing. I just love how each bowl is unique to the maker and the sewing machine they are using. I've found that the smaller machines make better bowls. And the new or less experienced sewers often make better bowls that the more experienced. Now, why is that???


Rope bowl class results

I don't think we have another class scheduled at the moment, but if you're interested, let Andrea know at OH Look Fabric and we can get another class scheduled.

I need to go over the other classes that I'm teaching there - we have a variety of things - learning to embroider, visible mending, banners (oh so cute and can be super personalized), learn to quilt and a whole lot of other good stuff. I'll try to get a comprehensive list together in the next day or so.

On that note, it's Sit n Sew today. We're now down to a total of 6 of us sewing - that's OK. I don't care if it's just one other person - that's enough to keep me going and not get interrupted. So if ever you need a day of sewing (sewing is therapy!) - ask me. If I'm free (and often I'm sewing alone in the studio), you're welcome to pop over.

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment