Friday, August 17, 2018

The BiQUE Ride - Day Five - Part Two

We had lunch at a very cool little spot in downtown Brockville - Tait’s. I actually ate lunch. Just half a sandwich, a small bowl of soup and lemon merangue pie. Oh and chocolate milk. It was a lot to take in at one time and I did feel it a bit later in the afternoon, but I was totally fine.

Mary suggested that we visit the Train Tunnel in Brockville. Hm - what is this? It’s the coolest thing - there’s a MILE of train tunnel that runs from the river up to the main railroad track. It was used to transport goods from the port (Brockville was once a thriving river port) to the railroad. Now it’s a tourist attraction - it’s been beautifully restored and there’s a light show and music as you walk the length. It was a great place to stop. Thanks to Mary for suggesting it.

It was great to see Mary as she moved away from the GTA almost three years ago. So we were able to catch up on family, quilting and a whole lot more. We actually did a little brain storming on quilt shows. Hm.........   I wonder how many more friends will move away from the GTA as they retire - I guess I’ll just keep having to bike this route to see them once a year. I’m just not ready for that kind of a move. Will I ever be ready??

Then we parted ways and I was off for the last 18 K before we hit the hotel for the night. It was an easy 18K even though there wasn’t much shoulder (actually NONE) on the road so had to ride on the road with the cars. But everyone behaved themselves nicely and so it wasn’t a big deal at all.

Showered and sat outside - our hotel is right on the river.  I’m reading a book and if I’m not careful, I’ll be finished before we hit our final destination. We have today and one more day of riding so you can probably guess where that final destination is. I do have my “new” book that I bought the other day that I can read and a couple of magazines so I think I have enough reading material to last me. And I have an audiobook on my phone that I can “read”. I did bring some embroidery, but I haven’t been in the mood to do that. I should have yesterday, but I have to admit that I was having a nice nap in the chair after my ride.

That’s the beauty of riding. You can nap and not feel guilty for it. Not that I feel guilty at home, but at least here, we have a good reason to nap.

We ordered in Chinese food last night from Prescott which is nearby. They ordered so much and I thought we would have tons of leftovers. Actually we all did pretty good and they wasn’t much left over and it was all given to the hotel so the day crew will have a wonderful lunch.

Then off to bed. I’m an early to bed person anyway and after a day of cycling - well, it’s nice to hit the hay.

Breakfast is later today (7:30) so I now have an entire hour to kill and I’m hungry NOW.  But I’ll slowly pack my suitcase - very slowly and perhaps I’ll read a bit. Maybe I’ll check some e-mail.

Yesterday, I got an e-mail from the magazine. They received my quilt (not made from cotton) and LOVE IT. Loved the quilting. I do too - I’m very happy with that quilt. I can’t wait to see what they do with it.

Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment