Tuesday, August 14, 2018

The BiQUE Ride - Day Two - Part One

Have you figured out my destination yet?

We had another amazing day of cycling. I was up bright and early, got the bike ready - not that there is much to do although I do need a wee bit of lub for the chain and I keep forgetting to get it off the truck. I’m out of practice on the bike part, but then our set up is quite different because of the hotel situation and our truck isn’t always here when I arrive. Tomorrow is a rest day so hopefully I can get that done tonight or tomorrow.

I think my FitBit was on steroids yesterday. At the end of the day it was at 27,800. It’s not supposed to log bike miles, but obviously it did. Unfortunately it’s not syncing to the app. It needs to be reset at the computer and I didn’t have time to do that before I left. No worries - it’s just a number.

I haven’t been tracking my food in my app for a while. I will one day and then not the next. I’m pretty good at judging what I can and cannot eat and my weight is maintaining at about 4 pounds below my goal. All is good. I think my calorie intake on a normal day with no exercise is just less than 2000 calories. These days???  I’m close to 6000. That’s a LOT of calories to have to consume. There is NO WAY that I can eat that much in one day. I’m never that hungry when I’m on the bike.

The day started off nice and sunny but storm clouds did arrive in the afternoon. I think I felt a total of 3 drops and that was it. The others got caught in rain and I know some of them even took shelter somewhere. Ah - the benefits of getting in early. It didn’t rain at our final destination for the day and all was good.

I’m the odd person out on the trip. There are three couples on the trip and two pairs of friends. I’m the odd man out but I’m OK with that. So I ride alone and I’m really OK with that. I did stop and take a number of pictures yesterday - some of the views of the lake are amazing.

I stopped in Port Hope to visit Susan and Bob. It’s funny that they moved away from the city two years ago and I’ve been trying to get to their cottage and/or house for two years and then I hit the cottage AND their new house within two weeks of each other. They have a beautiful home and it literally was two quick turns off our route. A very quiet neighbourhood - I could see myself living there. But not yet.

Then I was back on the road. Our truck was 2 KM away from their house so I had another quick pit stop as I munched a cookie and a few other snacks. I’m definitely NOT eating like I would at home. I would have a lot more fruit. While fruit is available it does NOT travel well on a bike. So if you can’t eat it at the source - don’t carry it. It will be mush. Bananas are not bad and I gently put one on the top of my bike basket. After 40 K, I found it at the bottom of the basket and partially mushed. It was still good.

That’s it for Part One.

No comments:

Post a Comment