Monday, August 27, 2018

Motivational Monday - checking in


It's a super day today. It's Monday. That means Monday sewing and time to check in for an update on what I've been doing and how my projects are coming along.

I set a goal last year to complete 12 (plus one bonus) UFO projects. Sadly there are still 7 UNFINISHED items on that list. Then I decided to forge ahead and put another 12 projects on the UFO list for 2018.

So how am I doing? Not so good it would appear. There are still SEVENTEEN projects not completed between the two lists. OH - that is NOT good at all.

The goal was to complete one project per month. Obviously, my goal setting skills are a little rusty.

What's the problem? It would appear that I'm good at finishing things. I have now completed FIFTY items this year. FIFTY - that's huge. In case you're wondering why the jump? I remembered two other projects that were sent to a magazine that I had forgotten to write down. I think I'm good now. See how easy it is to forget?  Very easy. I hope to post a picture of all the finished items at the end of the year. That will be hilarious!

Here's my latest finish. The apple quilt - it's DONE!!!!!

The apple quilt - DONE

Do you know what's nice about this finish? First off - it's number 50. Second, I started this quilt last summer at a workshop. There are tons of pieces in it and it's done! It never really languished as a UFO and technically it was because of that 50-hours a week gift that my ex-employer gave me that I got off my butt to get this finished. I'm super thrilled about it.

It was NOT on my list of things to get done yesterday. However, I had promised the quilt to someone so it could go in the Quilts at the Creek display that will be at Quilt X in September. I could have been scrambling at the last minute to get it delivered, but France was at the Sit n Sew yesterday and it would be easy for her to get it to its destination. So I put the binding on and hand stitched the sleeve. It's gone. Check it out at Quilt X in St. Marys.


Since I'm such a goal setter, here's my plan for the remainder of the year. There are 19 weeks left in the year. 17 projects - 19 weeks???  Oh yes - let's go for it. Those remaining 17 projects will be my SOLE (or almost) focus for the remainder of the year. I really really want to start the year with something fresh. I"m getting tired of seeing these UFOs on that list.

And I have a goal to finish ONE HUNDRED items by the end of the year. YES - ONE HUNDRED. It shouldn't be hard. There are 17 UFOs on the list and there are at least a dozen quilts that just need the binding attached - there's 30 right there. Throw in at least five for magazines and well - you can see that reaching one hundred won't be hard. These are mostly UFOs - the magazine stuff is new.

I know that some of those 17 will not get completed this year - some are heavy on applique and that will slow me down. But I have others that I've been working on and are very close to completion.

Take the scrappy quilts (remember - that was ONE UFO that became THREE quilts). I did get the second quilt top sewn together yesterday, but didn't get a picture - I'll have that for you tomorrow.

Here's the third one. As you can see, my math skills on the border blocks was a wee bit off. I was missing five blocks for the border.


Missing 5 border blocks for the third scrappy quilt

Those five blocks are now complete and this quilt top (it's one row longer than the other two) is ready to sew together. The binding is made, the backing is chosen.


Third scrappy quilt ready to sew together


I'm working on another quilt from the UFO list at Monday sewing. That quilt just needs one section of border sewn on and then the final border dealt with. I have chosen the backing and then the binding.

All the tasks to complete these two projects are in the Task Master for this week. It's going to be tight, but should be no reason why these two projects can't be taken off the UFO list by the end of the week. If not, then very early next week. I have several other UFOs that are very close to completion as well. It's all about FOCUS. I'm only going to let myself down if I don't get this mess cleaned up!

My question to you all is - how are you making out? We have 19 weeks left this year. Can you regroup? Can you tackle at least one or two of those UFOs and see what can be done? Remember - it's your list, but we make a list to help us focus. Hopefully, you're on track.

All my sewing days - both the Monday Sewing and the Sit Sews at my house are going to be devoted to getting these projects done. Yes - I might slip in my weekly block assignment (The Farmer's Wife) since I'm so close to getting that done, but the main focus will be those UFOs.

I'll share with you tomorrow what we were all working on at Monday sewing.

Have a great day!!!!


Ciao!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment