Saturday, August 18, 2018

The BiQUE Ride - Day Six - Part Two

Near the end, there was a sign on the road we were to take “Road Closed”. Hm - now for a car, that’s a no brainer - the road is closed, but for a bike - well you never know. I rode down to the construction site only to find that the bridge was out and there was no way I was going to make it across. So back the 1 KM that I had ridden in and onto the main road. If I were truly a smart person, I would have CAREFULLY looked at Google Maps. Instead I took the advice of the construction people which was good, but not perfect given that I told them where my next stop was, NOT my final destination.

The next road up was a gravel road. Gravel doesn’t scare me and so I turned onto the gravel road. I got to the end of the gravel road as it turned SOUTH. I didn’t want to go south so I took a very close look at Google Maps and that road a wee ways back is where I should have turned to continue north. That cost me about another 2 KM. Not something you want to do when the rain is threatening. Then next thing I knew, I was back on track with our maps. It was a very quiet (traffic-wise) detour and in total added about 5 K to the day. What’s 5 K when you’ve already done 120K?

My problem is that I didn’t drill down to see the individual roads I was on. I’m still new to Google Maps, but I’m learning real quick. Here’s another thing about Google Maps. Have you checked your Timeline in Google Maps?? It gives you a VERY detailed description of EVERY PLACE you’ve been. I was shocked when I saw that at dinner last night. Mine doesn’t seem to be working, but for the two people beside me - it gave them a very detailed history of their day - the restaurants they had been to, the places they stopped and they were NOT using Google Maps to get around. Check it out. I can see where this would be very handy for law enforcement.

I have to tell you about my hair. This is the first time I’m riding with my hair as long as it is. Not pretty by any means. Not really long enough to put up and really ugly and uncomfortable to leave down. A while back I found some slip less hair elastics. So I use a headband to keep the front tidy (not my flowers as they won’t fit under the helmet) but a flat black one and then a teeny tiny little ponytail at the back to keep the rest under control. I was going to get my hair cut before I left - thank goodness I didn’t because there wouldn’t have been enough length to make the ponytail. It’s ridiculous, but makes the riding comfortable. I wish my hair was a teeny bit longer so the pony tail could ride a little lower on my neck. Sometimes I feel the ponytail, the helmet and my sunglasses are a bit too connected to each other.

We had a great dinner last night. We’re in Alexandria (a small town seemingly in the middle of nowhere) and there’s this amazing restaurant - The North Glengarry. We sat outside with the knowledge that if it started to rain, we’d be standing inside with our plates in our hands. The place was packed and our server was amazing.

I took a picture of my room. When I get in, the suitcase and my backpack seem to explode and stuff is everywhere. But within minutes, everything has a home and it’s back neat and tidy.

It’s almost time to get the show on the road for the day (last riding day).

Have a super day!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment