Thursday, May 11, 2023

Can you see the wind?

Have you ever noticed when you go to anyone in the medical field, they basically tell you the same things? Stretch, moisturize, eat well (or better), lose weight, stand up straight, tighten those pelvic floor muscles, get lots of sleep and drink water. 

If we followed those rules, we'd all be in amazing shape. I'm doing not too bad, but I swear, I need to stretch more. I know that and I believe all the aches and pains (not many) that I have are due to a lack of stretching. And if you don't use those muscles properly and often enough, you'll lose the ability to use them. 

While all are important, I think the "gift" of walking is one that we don't use often enough. Yes -- it is a GIFT to be able to walk and if we lose that ability and are confined to a wheelchair? My Mom is in that situation and I vow NEVER to be there because of a lack of using my legs. But I need to stretch those legs before and after my walks in order to keep walking. 

Anyway, I'm using my toe stretchers and I LOVE them. I haven't seen any difference with my feet and that darn blister is still super itchy. How long does it take for the skin to heal? 

But here's something else to watch out for. For some reason, I looked in the shoe rack in the laundry room where there are four pair of shoes. I should find a new place for those shoes and ditch that rack. Anyway, I found an old pair of slippers, so I decided to try them on. 

WHOA -- I went from walking to shuffling in no time flat! Why? 

Look at the bottom of them -- smooth as a baby's bottom! Zero grip. I thought I'd walk around for a bit and see what they were like and within minutes, they were in the garbage. I felt like a very elderly person walking in those slippers. I can't imagine wearing them before. 


Slippers with ZERO grip on the bottom

My current slippers have a grippy surface on the bottom, so you can actually WALK in them. So if you see someone shuffling, check their footware to see what the bottoms are like! I need to buy my "rubber" Birkenstocks for the house as my current slippers are broken down and need to be replaced. I see there is a place to buy Birkenstocks at the mall and I was just there! I don't have time today as I'm getting my tires changed on the car, but there might be a store near the dealer that I can walk to. 

I chuckle when I see someone with a new pair of shoes and they are afraid to get them dirty. People -- they are meant to be used and using them means they will get dirty! Get out there and WALK!


I worked on another giant quilt yesterday. This was a bit of a challenge as you can see in the photo. There are FIVE borders on this quilt and I strongly suspect that NONE of them were measured and pinned. So there was quite a bit of wave along all sides. 



Wavy borders

Once it's quilted, it doesn't look so wavy, but I had to work the excess fabric in. It's amazing, but I've seen as much as SIX extra inches of fabric depending on the number of borders and the size of the quilt. I don't think there was quite six inches, but it was more like four and that's a LOT of fabric to squeeze in. 


Once quilted the waves are not as noticeable

But here's the quilt done. 

Customer quilt - DONE



I needed to empty that giant box sitting in the kitchen. Once I got the box open, I struggled to get the item out. Actually there was ONE giant item in the box, some instructions and tools and some poles. The boxes are relegated to the garage where I'll attempt to break them down for recycling day. That is strong cardboard! 


The shipping box is empty


While it was a job to get the box open, it was even harder to attempt to break it down. I got this far and put it in the garage. 


Wowser --- this was tough to get to this stage


Now to install the item. 

This is Step One of the installation process. That was easy enough to - I used a hammer and that rod is pretty solid. 



Step One - hammer the stake in the ground



Of course, I had help. I swear that dog has to be in your face always! Do you see her stick leaning on the rocks in front of her? 


The supervisor

I think she was trying to emulate me as I had this long rod leaning against the railing. 

My "stick" leaning against the railing

Step two was to put the long rod on the stake in the ground and secure it with two screws. Done. 

The long rod is in place


The final step was to install the ...............................................


WIND SCULPTURE


It's a WIND SCULPTURE. 

I had first seen these years ago on Salt Spring Island in BC. I didn't know much about them at the time, but I'm mesmerized by them whenever I see them. Recently, I saw someone post a picture of their wind sculpture and I decided that it was time to treat my backyard to one. 

They are designed by Lyman Whitaker from the US and the only place to buy his art in Canada is Steffich Fine Art in Ganges, Salt Spring Island. The folks at the gallery have been amazing in getting the order ready and shipped. It was a bit pricey, but I know that I'll spend many hours mesmerized by it and YES -- I have a front row seat from the gazebo. 

The backyard


As I sat in the backyard, playing ball with Murphy, I noticed the shadows cast by the sculpture on the rocks on the pond! Yes -- I think this is going to be a meditative addition to the backyard. I'm not sure if it's in the right place yet, but it can easily be moved. 

The sculpture cast shadows on the rocks



So yes, Murphy and I played ball and played ball and played ball. She was panting like mad and still wanted to play. I made her stop, but she wasn't happy. 

But her antics are always good for a laugh. Can you tell me what she's doing? Playing hide and seek? And notice her ball is on the rocks, so she's not looking for it. Maybe taking a break. 



Mom -- just taking a quick break


Then the ball went in the pond and I swear, she tried real hard to get it without going in. She couldn't quite reach it, so she sat up and barked! I wonder if she notices her reflection? 



Mom -- I CAN get it! 



Mom - crap - I need help!



As I evaluate what has to be done in the next week, I said to myself - "Do not panic", but all of a sudden, there are quite a few things that need to be done. How did all that sneak up on me? If I set my mind to it, it won't take long, but I'm back in writing mode and there's a jacket to be made, samples to sew, articles to write and quilts to quilt. I won't be lacking from anything to do! 

I was so focused on my Lord of the Rings Virtual Challenge that I forgot to look at my yearly one of 4,400 KM. Turns out I'm slightly ahead of schedule -- 37% of the distance in 35% of the time. So let's keep that happening and I'll be good! 

I'm also reading a Louise Penny and I like to read them in order. While I started off liking this series, I'm getting very frustrated. How much crap can she throw at Gamache? I'm behind in reading the series (my choice so I'll always be able to read one of her books on MY schedule instead of waiting for the new one to be released). I'm reading "How the Light gets in". I had to peak ahead and see that he is retired in the next book -- thank GOD. That plot line of undermining him was getting very tiresome! 

Well, it's time to get to work! OH -- the girls need their walk first and then I go to work. 

Don't forget to treat yourself to something that you want! I LOVE my wind sculpture! I noticed on the Steffich website that the founder of that gallery has passed -- he was 62 - you have to live LIFE NOW! 


Have a super day!!! 

Ciao!!!!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment