Monday, January 6, 2020

Travel Day


Can you believe it - already on the road for 2020? I'm super excited about this week - it's our education week as a freelance educator for Husqvarna Viking and PFAFF. This is where we get to hear what's coming down the pipeline. Sorry - nothing will be shared until it's time. We get to provide feedback to the powers that be, build networks with our colleagues and learn, learn, learn!!!  It's going to be great fun, but the days will be long!

That means my FitBit is going to need a lot of care to get 10,000 steps in. Can you believe that I managed to log almost 16,000 steps yesterday? Here's one of the reasons. I was at Gate F97.

A big airport!


And for some reason, you now have to access the trusted traveler security line from the opposite side. That means you go across the catwalk and around the corner. Then back across a different catwalk and into the line. That just doesn't make sense. But god forbid that we enter where the Priority passengers enter. What's the big deal? We all end up in the same line. That's one of those mysteries of how an airport functions.

I made good use of those 8 hours before I had to head to the airport. I was sewing and cutting and snapping pictures like no tomorrow. I had the embroidery machine going to finish off a sample. The binding got done on that. Some of those steps were new to me, but the motto "BE CALM" comes to mind and all was well.

I had to get the homework prepped for the Christmas Fig Sew Along. The first homework goes out this Friday and it would be bad if I didn't have it done. So I worked on that. I needed a wee bit more time which I didn't have, so I brought it with me. I'm sure I can find a sewing machine to finish it off. The homework looks awesome!!! I can't wait to share that with the group on Friday.

I literally had my suitcase in the middle of the kitchen floor and as things were finished, they got dumped in. I think I only forgot to bring one thing - a tote bag so I could ferry things back and forth. Oh well - I have my lovely Target bag and that'll have to do.

And if you don't know where the head office is? It's in Nashville!!!  I've been to Nashville several times now. Actually, we're not right in Nashville, but one of the burbs.


Welcome to Nashville

I flew down with two of my fellow educators. Emily rented the car and we were off. We all needed a few things - I needed milk and bananas for breakfast. We have a small kitchen in our suites so that's great. No big buffet breakfast for me. I might grab an apple on the way out.

My suite kitchen


Oh yes- it's just like home here. I've already cooked the oatmeal and it worked very well in the microwave. At first, I was dismayed at the small size of the cereal bowls, but no overflow. You must, must, must reduce power when cooking oatmeal!!!  Having breakfast in my room also saves me time. I have to get out for a walk before we leave at 8 AM.

As you know, I have issues with the nylon mesh in the toes of regular running shoes. My big toes just poke through and I don't know how to prevent it, other than going to a non-mesh shoe. I stopped in at my local sports store on Sunday and bought a pair of shoes. They are hideous. They are WHITE. They are HUGE. They look like ski boots.



My new walking shoes


But look at that sturdy toe.

Sturdy upper toe area

If my toe pokes through that - then there's a very serious issue. However, on the drive to Target, I was telling Margaret and Emily about my shoes. We saw a shoe store near Target so we stopped in. I hadn't worn the shoes yet so I might be saved. NOPE - they had the same shoes or very similar and for some reason, a huge pile of them was laying in the middle of the floor.


More ugly white shoes

They were a few bucks cheaper than in Canada, but with the exchange, they were pretty much the same price.

As soon as I'm done the blog, I'm off for a walk. I need to get those steps in. Not just because of the Virtual Challenge, but sitting around all day is going to drive me crazy!! I did the same thing when we were here last year so I'm somewhat familiar with the area although we're at a different hotel.

I couldn't go to sleep last night until I knew the boys were safely out of the cave in Thailand. I know - that's totally silly because I knew they were out. But reading the book was like experiencing it all over again. The book is called The Boys in the Cave by Matt Gutman. Again, silly things like pride and bureaucracy, it's truly a miracle that those boys were rescued. Thankfully, I have another physical book with me and I have my audiobooks, but I'm not good at just sitting and listening to an audiobook - I fall asleep.

Oh my gosh - hey Ronda - if you think our backpacks were fiddly, read Nina's post about making a backpack. This is the cutest thing but I can see where it would be fiddly. I want to make one. It's called Out and About from byAnnie.com.

Breakfast was yummy and I guess I'd better clean up the kitchen! That'll take all of two seconds to wash a bowl. I like this hotel. There's a nice desk to work on, loads of light, blackout curtains on the window, walk-in shower, shelves on the wall. Yep - I could live here. OH - where would I put my fabric? Well - the TV would have to go and more shelves on the wall!!

On that note, I'm out of here to try out my new ski boots!!! I mean walking shoes. Oh - the temperature?? It's warm. Well - it's minus 3 right now but going up to 11 this afternoon!!

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!



4 comments:

  1. I love Nashville! I hope you get to play 1 night and take in a show? Or spend 2 hours walking up/down Broadway and the bridge.

    I'm sure you'll have a fabulous week! Can't wait to hear about all the Nashville sites while you're walking those 10000 steps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your shoes! I totally would wear a pair of those. Who cares what your feet look like. Are they comfortable. Do they last more than 3 months? I will check back with you in March to see how it's going with the non-mesh shoes. Glad you took my advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda -- thanks!! ANd yes - now that I'm wearing them, they are just fine and don't look that bad. It was just that they looked like big clunkers next to the sleek mesh designs. The tongue on the left shoe seems a bit long, so going to try and bend that back a wee bit. Otherwise - I LOVE them. Thanks for the advice!

      Delete