Friday, April 10, 2020

Let's go shopping


You're probably like me - I've no idea what day of the week it is. I have to remind myself every morning. This is Thursday. This is Friday. It is Friday today? Isn't it? Where are those days of the week underwear when you need them? I could embroider some! I'm sure like the rest of you, we're not getting our hair cut like normal. Well, I'm a slacker on that anyway so I can just put it in a ponytail if I need to.

Murphy is in bad need of a hair cut so I gave her one. I think she was thrilled, but she needs to have the hair thinned out around her butt. Does the groomer do that? Or do they just trim? Well, it isn't pretty but she doesn't look so shaggy. Don't worry - I didn't go crazy. I wonder if DH would trust me with my scissors? I doubt it. I'm not good!

Gosh - I even came across an article on how often you should have a shower! Actually, if you Google it, there is a lot of information about how often to shower and wash your hair. Like all things, people shower and wash their hair to excess. It's not necessary to have a shower and wash your hair every day. Showering too often can weaken your immune system and cause dry skin. Did you know that?

Like the rest of you, I'd like a date. When will life go back to normal? Unfortunately, no one can predict that and the word is that it may take two years to get back to normal - whatever that is. So here's the thing. We can sit home and cry because things aren't normal. OR we can change how we react to the situation. I know this is easy for me as I don't have a house full of kids so you have to do what works for you.

Here are some things that you can do to help pass the time:

Have coffee with a friend. NO - I don't mean going to the coffee shop. Make a date just like you would if you were meeting in person. Make your coffee before the appointed time and have a video chat with them. It's not the same, but why isn't it? You get to see them, you get to talk to them, and if they have something to show you, they can. Just a new normal.

Call someone you haven't talked to in a long time. This is something that we should do regularly.

Call someone who lives alone. While some of us have someone to talk to every day, some people live alone. Call them!

Get in touch with someone that you don't see that often. If there are a couple of people that you see once a year at a quilt show - reach out to them. Let them know that you're thinking of them. Facebook is a great avenue for this.

Take an online class. Loads are free at the moment. Try something totally different - photography, drawing, painting or if you're a quilter, go for the ones on free motion quilting or walking foot quilting. Remember the BluPrint classes are free until April 16. I MUST finish watching my two classes.

WRITE - if you're having bad thoughts and no one to talk to. WRITE THEM DOWN. Then destroy the paper. I sometimes just sit and write - totally random thoughts. Totally jumbled but it helps when I've something on my mind that I can't or don't want to share with anyone. Then I hit DELETE and all is good.

Plan. Make some plans for when this crisis is over. I don't mean vacation plans, I mean what would you like to do with yourself - self-improvement or projects around the house. Make them doable. Plan what you'd like to do with the rest of your life. Volunteer? Get a pet? Sell your house?? Who knows, but planning and making lists help to sort out things in your mind.

Get outside! Just do it - go for a walk. I don't care if you don't have a dog - you are NOT required to stay in your house. You can go for a walk - just practice social distancing. It's chilly out there today, so bundle up. Then have a nice hot cup of coffee, tea or hot chocolate when you come back in. Do you know how good that makes me feel?

Read a new genre of book. I'm sure all of us have books on our bookshelves that we haven't touched. If that doesn't work, try learning to listen to an audiobook. Or try using an e-reader (tablet and Smartphone work). This can open up a whole different world for us.

Read a magazine. Hey - who doesn't have stacks of magazines that they have been meaning to read, but had no time. Well, perhaps NOW is the time.

Don't PANIC and do NOT WORRY. You personally cannot change anything. It isn't worth your energy to worry or panic about this situation.


Did you notice that all of the above activities are FREE? It just might not be the same way that we are used to doing things. Well, guess what? Even when this crisis is over, what we knew as normal is not going to be normal in the future. We are a very adaptable species and we will adapt to our new ways. I think technology is going to play an even greater role in how we live our lives. Thankfully, I'm getting better at it!!!  People are having their doctor's appointment on the phone and sending pictures. Why not?

I did get a lot done yesterday - just not much that I can share with you. I was working on the magazine quilt and got almost all the blocks together. I'll be finishing that hopefully today or tomorrow. It's a Halloween quilt and I have to share the selvages with you.



Little ghosts on the selvage

HOCUS POCUS collection
It's Hocus Pocus by Riley Blake Designs. Thanks so much, Riley Blake Designs for letting me work with this gorgeous Halloween collection.


Riley Blake Designs selvage

OK - so a couple of the prints are Glow in the dark. My design wall is in the bathroom. It's a large bathroom with two separate sections. The section my design wall is in doesn't have a window. Oh yes - I couldn't help myself. I left the light on for a bit and then I closed the light and the door. It glows!!!!  So adorable. Hey - one has to do what one can to keep themselves amused as you work!!!

I do not own a quilt shop, but I could! Especially in the last couple of days. It appears that I like to stockpile things.  Who knew? In the past, my tools, supplies, and fabric used to be helter-skelter. Well no more. I would say that pretty much everything is very well organized. The UFOs are still a bit scattered, but I'm working on that.

I need to change my rotary blades more often and well, I decided yesterday was the time. I went shopping and found exactly what I needed in my tin of rotary cutter blades. There's even a yellow plastic container marked USED to put the old blades in. Pretty darn efficient!!! And I"ve got supplies for three different sizes of rotary cutters.

Supply of rotary cutting blades

The other day, someone sent me a picture of a fabric that they were looking for. I wasn't able to help them. Then someone else asked for another fabric line. I have a bag of scraps, but do you think I can find that bag of leftovers? I searched yesterday in all the possible places (obviously NOT the right place), but I couldn't find it. I WILL find that bag and at this point - she can have the whole bag!

I got a request yesterday for elastic. Let me pull out that container. This is the container for elastic, velcro, and other fasteners, like snaps, grommets, etc. Hey - it's all in ONE container! That's HUGE.


The box with fastener stuff

 I found this elastic. We went back and forth to get the right sizes and now there's a little bag of elastic waiting to be picked up later today. No charge - I'm happy to help someone out who is making masks for family members.

Elastic

Another request for rickrack. Yep - I've got that too. A whole container full.


The container of rickrack
 Let's see - you want mini white rickrack? I've got cream and glow in the dark and white. So that is also ready for pickup.

Mini white rickrack

If you need anything, let me know! I may have something that you could use. I'm happy to share and I have no qualms about letting MOST of something go.

For those of you that have the PFAFF creative icon, there's a NEW update which is going to make embroidery so easy. What I love about this sewing machine - I turn it on and it's connected to the WiFi. I got asked if I wanted to download the update and install it. Yep and then it got to work all on its own!! You got to love technology.

PFAFF creative icon updating


Updates don't happen that often, but this is a MAJOR update and look - I didn't have to leave my house or fret that I couldn't get to the dealer to get access to the new embroidery techniques. All done from my house!! You got to love that.

I found a new toy that I would LOVE to buy. I can't afford it, but I might have to save up my pennies for this one. Have a look. Ooops - we don't have pennies anymore.

On that note, I've got a ton of things to get done today and I'd better get the day started.

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment