Friday, July 24, 2026

Easing into the home routine

I am definitely a creature of habit, and if I go outside that world, I'm in big trouble!!!

I had pretty much packed my suitcase the evening before, so not much to do in the morning except have breakfast. But I thought I would give the wardrobe one last look. I checked the drawers - nothing. But when I opened up the hanging clothes area, there were THREE of my things in there. Good grief!!!!! 

I never, never, never unpack my suitcase, and so all my clothes are hanging around or in the suitcase in the room. That would not have been good if I left those behind, but guess what? I got them, so all is good. 

It was a bit squishy in my suitcase to put those last three items in, but it all worked. 

Getting that zipper closed!!!


And when we got to the airport, and I weighed my luggage, it was 45.4 lbs, about 10 lbs heavier than when I left. Yikes!!! I did buy 13 yards of fabric after all, plus a book, and some swag and three new T-shirts from the conference. It all adds up, but I was well within the 50 lb limit and certainly not even close to the maximum of 70 lbs. All was good!!!

45.4 lbs of luggage


Getting to the airport was uneventful. Someone else paid, so I didn't have to worry about getting my money out. And just for the sake of keeping up with previous pictures I've taken, this is the tile in the washrooms in the Nashville airport!!!

Washroom tile in Nashville

As we walked through the airport, I spotted this fake orange guitar in the candy shop. I didn't stop for candy, but I got a picture! 

An orange guitar! 



The flight was uneventful and on time, so all that was good. It was easy to get through customs with a NEXUS card; it really is worth the cost. No fuss, although with the ArriveCan app, it isn't a big deal to get through the other line either. Unless you say you are bringing a weapon across, but that wasn't my issue to deal with. Let's just say it is important to READ the questions and answer properly. Don't just assume they all need the same yes-or-no answer! 

And then the wait for the luggage. Air Canada now has a tracker on your luggage so you can see its progress through the various stages of loading and unloading. I arrived at the carousel, and some luggage came, and then nothing came. As one of the people standing around said, it was almost like they had one-armed luggage handlers! It was hilarious! NO, it wasn't! 


Where is the luggage?


My bag, which was tagged as priority, wasn't coming, and yet my two colleagues got their three suitcases out way before mine did. Hmmmm......... I wasn't impatient, but I really wanted to get home. 

It's hard to read the times, but the bag was unloaded at 1:12 PM. But it wasn't delivered to the carousel until 1:53 PM!!!!! I get that it takes a few minutes to get from the plane to the carousel, but almost 40 minutes? And the issue was that the luggage was coming, but extremely slow. Perhaps they did have one-armed baggage handlers. Something was amiss for sure. 

The history of my luggage! 

But I got the bag - that's the important thing- and then I was on my way home. Let's say that there were two very happy girls when I arrived. Lexi was very affectionate and wanted to be close to me, and Murphy wanted to be even closer!!! This was while I was having a late lunch. 


MOM - Don't ever leave again! 



Then I got the whole raccoon story. Apparently the darn thing was sitting on the little railing right outside the back door. It obviously wasn't well and was in trouble. No one thought to get a picture!! They had called animal services to pick it up, but it had ambled away by the time they got here. 

I decided to unpack the suitcase and the portable office because what else was I going to do? You have this restlessness when you arrive in the middle of the day. What to do - should I just dive right in and start to work, or do I ease myself in? I was feeling a bit out of sorts, so I decided to finish listening to my audiobook while I worked on the jigsaw puzzle. 

Another jigsaw puzzle bites the dust!


It's done, so later today, I'll pull it apart and get the next one started. HEY -- I have a lot of puzzles to do, and I might as well keep at it. If I can get two or three done a month, I'd be happy. I love putting them together, and now that I have a bit more time, I'm going to take advantage of that. 

Here is the yarn-dyed fabric I purchased in Nashville. I love the color, and I love the pattern. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, but I have 10 yards of it. It was very inexpensive. 


Yarn-dyed fabric


And this was the piece of orange plaid cotton that I bought. I have 4 yards of that, and I envision GREEN on it. Not sure in what capacity, but I'll make something where I can add green. 

Orange plaid fabric

So Studio B is in pretty good organizational shape. Well, if we ignore the white elephant in the room, which is the three tables heaped with things to be done or finished. I'm very good at ignoring it, and when I need something to work on, I'll pull from those tables. 

But I had left some stuff that was still sitting out from my marathon of working on the samples to take with me. I had this pencil case filled with marking devices, and it needed sorting. Do all those markers even work? So I went through that and got things organized. 

Sorting markers


And I spotted a Singer-branded marking pencil! 

Singer-branded marking pencil


I'm happy to report that the table is now clear. The garments that need to be finished are hanging on that decorative rod on the tables. 



The work tables are clear!


I cleared some of this stuff off the cutting table and created a wee spot for me to work. I had some small items on the puzzle table that needed to be taken care of, or that needed to be done, so those got shifted to the cutting table, and I'm going to spend the next two days clearing that up. 

My assignment for the next couple of days


While I have some time, it's the perfect opportunity to work on clearing up some of those little items that won't take long, and that will be good to get done and put away. I will also need to focus on the office stuff for a day or two, but for the moment, I'll work downstairs. 

While I was away, I was getting notifications that things I had purchased had arrived. Two of them were delivered to the mailbox, and the third I have to pick up today from the CrossBorderPickUp depot. That's the place I ship things from the US when the shipping cost is exorbitant, or they will not ship to Canada. In the case of that one item, they would NOT ship to Canada. 

I had to pay HST on getting it across the border, so excluding that, the shipping was about $20, which isn't actually bad! I'll show you the item tomorrow. 

I got the rest of the wedding jigsaw puzzles as well. Well, some went to M in Vancouver, and those slated for people who live around here came to me. I have two puzzles to deliver. 

But I also got my copy of 40 Shades of Grey. I was one of the lucky ones who got a copy from Out of Hand. BUT I will be calling the store today or tomorrow to discuss the situation and figure out how many more copies we need. 

40 Shades of Grey



So if you are interested in taking this class from me, starting in September, be sure to send me an email (elainetheriault@gmail.com) and get your name on the list at Out of Hand. They have a NOTIFY ME when the pattern is available. Be sure to get your name in ASAP, so we will have the patterns in time for the class. If you don't have your pattern right at the beginning, don't worry. I'll make accommodations so you have access to the information, but I will NOT be handing the entire pattern out because that would violate copyright! 

Remember we have a Virtual Retreat tomorrow evening. That is Saturday, July 25 starting at 6 PM. Here's the link. 

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89610782501?pwd=7dCrhiL5t8Xa4TVwZPvhL6cOymbcjK.1

Meeting ID: 896 1078 2501
Passcode: 148311



I have one other note --- if you are a machine embroiderer and want to participate in a focus group led by me, let me know. WAIT --- if you are already on my machine embroidery list, I'll be sending you the information. It will be via Zoom, and I hope to host it on Sunday evening at 7 PM. I don't even know if that's a good time, but I need some information ASAP. 

So if you are interested, this is the type of information I'm looking for: what type of machine embroiderer are you? (As for the type -- we're going to make up categories -- casual, hardcore, occasional, etc.) What type of designs do you like to stitch, and what do you like to create with the embroidery designs? I'd love to hear from you. And if that timing doesn't work, we need to find another time or day. But I need it to happen fast. And if you can't, then send me an email and we can try to gather the information that way. (elainetheriault@gmail.com)


And a reminder that if you or anyone else is wondering what classes I'm teaching in the fall, be sure to check out this blog post. And I can confirm that the scrap quilt class at Thimbles and Things is a go!!!! Please forward that link to the class information to your friends if you think someone else might be interested in one of the classes. 

On that note, have a super day!!!

Ciao!!!!

PS --- Oh my --- we've gone from extreme heat to cool weather! But I'm not complaining!

1 comment:

  1. It's a darn good thing the cutting table was empty when you left for Nashville🤣🤣

    Happy Friday to you!

    ReplyDelete