Monday, August 10, 2026

Reconsidering the importance of value!

Oh dear --- I may have to switch out the grass on my blocks for Down on the Farm. I will evaluate it this morning and make a decision. I am going to redo the turtle block as well. This quilt is darn cute!!! And I am on the final block!!! This one also has grass in it, and well, maybe I can switch out the green, and if I like it, then I'll have to remake that section of the rooster block. It wouldn't be a lot of work. Maybe that's why I stopped at that point last night in cutting out the next block? 

Cutting out the last block.

 

But here is the eleventh block. It's a dog!!! 

The eleventh block


The dog has a blue eye and a red collar, just like someone I know. Wait - that could be Lexi with the mottled black fur! 

The final block awaits—what animal is it? Do you remember? Once this final block is done, I'll go back to reworking the couple of sections I need to revise. Hmmm -- let's have another look at that rooster block. 


The rooster and chicken

Yes -- I guess I could go back and find something different, as that grass does blend in in spots. I won't change the grass part that fits on the post - well, let me think about it, but now is the time to change for the final block. And do you notice how those teeny tiny flower centers stand out because I switched out that yellow after sewing just one of the flowers? Value does count!

While I have enjoyed working on this quilt, I will be glad to see it end. It has consumed my sewing time for the last two weeks, and I need to move on! So once the final block is done, I'll set it aside while I finish prepping new samples for my travels next week. Then anything that needs to be redone will get redone. Thankfully, the grasses are easy enough to cut and sew. 

Some of the boxes in the kitchen got flattened and are in the garage. I must make it a priority before the nice weather is over to take a load of crap out of the garage. It's not that bad, but a few things have accumulated, and I would like the garage to be a bit neater. I have loads of recycling, but I'm happy to fill our bin and put it out gradually rather than leave unsightly piles of recycling in the driveway. Loads of people do that. They don't break down boxes; they don't separate the garbage from the recycling. It drives me mad.

I packed another box for my SIL and plan to ship those two boxes today. I still have two boxes in the upstairs hallway to bring down. Everything in the main hallway needs to be dealt with today, so the hallway is clear for the cleaning people tomorrow. Worst case, they all get moved to the office as the cleaning staff doesn't come in here. It's too messy. 

Let's just say that "adulting" is hard work. Just keeping up with the cleaning and tidying of daily life is constant, and the minute you stop? You have clutter! 

The poor office has become the dumping ground for things that have yet to be dealt with. We all know that - I've mentioned it oodles of times. But boy - it would be nice to get the final dregs of the clutter out of this room. All the rooms are now clear of the clutter from the first decluttering round, which took about 15 years! Then it would be easy to start at the top and work my way down again. Let's face reality - I'll never be done. This is a constant part of life and one that some people just can't handle - like my Mom. But that's OK. We're working our way through that. 

I'm afraid that my Mom's days of living in their apartment are numbered. Her mobility is getting less and less, and soon, she will need more help than can be provided in the apartment. My Mom is overweight and hasn't been active for many years. She was happy to sit in her chair with minimal walking and zero exercise, even though she swears to us that she does them every day. 

As a result, she has lost muscle mass and thus mobility. You do NOT want to face this issue, and we are all smart. So, if you can, get up and do something! Chair squats, step-ups, or whatever, but do NOT lose your mobility and hence your independence!! The biggest issue is the use of the washroom - when you can no longer deal with that, you are toast! 

With all the moisture we've been having, the forest is exploding with fungi!! I grabbed a photo of these the other day. 

Fungi in the forest

It would be neat to have a time-lapse of their lifespan. I bet it's fast!

I like to read every day - it's a way to escape to new worlds, learn new things, and well, a good old murder mystery just gets the heart racing! I also read non-fiction, which I love. I have a long list of books on my waitlist in the Libby app, and sometimes, when a book comes up, I wonder who recommended it to me? 

I also get my recommendations from The Globe and Mail review. I think it's once a month and usually reviews 8 murder mysteries. Of course, I put all of them on my list! Although some of them are not out yet, I think all of them were this time. Thankfully, there are some LONG wait times on some of the books, and I'm OK with that. There's no need to be the first to read a new book. I'm past that point in my life where I want everything right NOW. 

The Globe and Mail monthly book review

My walk yesterday took me past the bookstore, so I had to wander in. They have a big puzzle section, but I did not buy any. I still have puzzles to pick up at Puzzles Canada, and they sent me a reminder over the weekend. I need to puzzle faster!! 

I spotted this one with pictures of windows!! 

A puzzle with different-style windows



Which made me laugh because this is my next puzzle. 

My new puzzle - DOORS!


Yep -- those are doors!! I wonder how difficult this one will be? It should be easy, but when I opened the box last night, I noticed the pieces are tiny! 

I also spotted this puzzle. You may or may not know that there is a movie out about The Odyssey. DH wants to go and wants me to come with him. That man just can't go to a movie on his own. The darn thing is 3 hours long, and so we have to go in the afternoon. My body will not deal with a three-hour movie at night. I'll be bored and asleep before the opening credits happen. 

But I spotted this puzzle and asked him if putting it together would substitute for the movie. If looks could kill!!! LOL. 

The Odyssey Puzzle


Good heavens - they even had glow-in-the-dark puzzles. 

Glow-in-the-dark puzzle

And the community puzzle was together! I don't get to the bookstore often, so I miss putting pieces in. But that's OK since I always have one on the go at my house. 

The puzzle at the bookstore was done!


The monthly theme for August was Wild Animals, and I just happened to have this one in the puzzle pile. It was a 500-piece puzzle and actually quite easy. 

The August-themed puzzle

I found the missing border piece - it was upside down and under another piece. I did a little bit of work on it in the morning and then finished it last night. This is much better than scrolling! And I noticed that Kilimanjaro is in the background! It's about this time last year that I was getting ready for my hike up that mountain! That was such a great trip!!!

I have to find the theme list for the remainder of the year and see if I have something that works. One of them was a destination, I'm sure, and I have a couple of puzzles for that. 

On my walk, I also hit the mall as I had something to pick up. On my way out, I saw this kiosk. You can PRINT your custom phone case with a picture. All from a kiosk. 


Print your custom phone case from a kiosk.




This next picture will make you think. 




YES --- it's hard to believe, but there are some sounds we no longer hear. I'm sure most are related to technology, but who remembers dial-up for the internet? And I'm sure there are a ton of other sounds we no longer hear. I haven't checked out the website, but here's the link. WAIT --- I don't think I found the link - I'll find it and post tomorrow. 

One sound I'd love to go away is the whine of motorcycles late at night. While we are far enough from the highway not to hear the daily traffic, when it's late at night and the sky is clear, we can hear the whine of a motorcycle for 30 KM or so, it seems. Why? Why do they have to make it whine like that at night? 

On that note, I'm off to the gym. I need to keep mobile, and it's helping my legs. I've had no issues or very little with walking in the last week. That could just be a fluke, but it doesn't matter. I'm going to keep going strong for as long as I can. 

Have a super day!!

Ciao!!!!





1 comment:

  1. For your viewing pleasure (fungi): http://tiny.cc/pyc8101

    ReplyDelete