Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Vintage jigsaw puzzles

I goofed yesterday. I typed out the blog, and I SWEAR I clicked on the PUBLISH button, but I did not. It wasn't until someone alerted me around 10:30 that I realized it was still in DRAFT mode. There are days like that! 

Even though it was Monday Sewing, I got a lot done. I typically just sit and chat, but I have a lot to get done this week, so there is no time to waste. 

I don't really have a lot to share since it's all for upcoming classes, but needless to say, I have almost finished prepping one of the three classes. I have a few more pictures to add to the presentation, and it's done! Actually, there are five presentations in total, since there are two sessions on Sunday as well, but they are less intense and mostly show-and-tell, with no prep other than loading pictures into a presentation. 

Today, I must get Studio B set up for the Facebook Live tomorrow, and I have pulled out all the cameras, tripods, and cables to make that happen. I don't think it will take too long, but since I'm switching things up a wee bit, I may have to play around with camera positioning, etc. And I need to clear those T-shirts off my portable design wall. I meant to do that yesterday, but got caught up in sewing. 

Like everything, once you get going, it doesn't take as long as you think it will. Let's hope, because sometimes the opposite is true! 

I did get smart at one point in the day and started using the flying geese for the winter quilts as my enders and leaders. I need to make 88 flying geese, and I have 1/4 of them made! It won't take long to finish that off, and if I eke out a bit of time each day, I can get those done in time for the UFO class. 


Flying geese for the winter quilts


Our renovated library is now open - I already told you that. But I had walked to the alternate location a couple of times over the summer. On my way, I had spotted these community gardens which look sadly neglected. What a shame that more people are not taking care of them. It's not that far away from the house -- it might be kind of fun to check it out. Yes—I could do a garden in my backyard, but I don't really have the space for it. 


Community gardens



My neighbor has a huge garden next door. Loads of veggies, and we get a few things from her over the summer. I'll have to think about this. As my landscaper says, do you really want to go down that path? I can't even keep the weeds at bay in the backyard, and now I'd have to add a small garden that is not even in my backyard? While I can walk, I could speed the trip by riding my bike.  

Perhaps I'll just keep sitting in the backyard and reading my book, which I do every day. Someone had mentioned that they can't go in their backyard without feeling guilty, so they don't go. Seriously? I could stare at weeds all day while I sat and enjoyed the gazebo's shade. It's like cleaning your house. Who is going to care that your house was spic and span? No one! I take the same philosophy for the backyard. 

It is neat, and it's mostly OK, but weeding will never be done. So I'm going to enjoy life, and I don't care about a weed or two. And instead of avoiding the space, I'm going to enjoy it. I do not want to be lamenting in the winter that I didn't spend enough time out there. 

I am managing to keep my head above water with the audiobook and ebooks. But it seems that as fast as I finish a book, a new one comes in. That's OK. The audiobooks help me focus when I'm sewing, so I don't mind. I finished and returned one yesterday, and another one appeared on my shelf this morning. I am NOT accepting any "skip the line" books. They can go to someone else who has more time. 

At this rate, I may just get to my stretch goal of 1.5 books a week. 

It's the same with gardening; we all have our personal goals, and if gardening is your thing, then you do gardening. NO ONE can tell you how to spend your time. 


Well, as you know, I have fallen hard for the world of jigsaw puzzles, and I love doing them, but I am also learning lots about them. Puzzles are not new, and I'm not sure when they were invented. WAIT --- puzzles started in the 1760s (who knew!) by a cartographer (John Spilsbury) who cut up a world map that had been glued to wood. He cut around the countries, and it was meant to be a learning tool. 

Puzzles have existed ever since, but like many things, they took a resurgence during the pandemic. 

And I'm learning that there are some coveted jigsaw puzzles. Apparently, back in the day, Springbok made puzzles with round boxes. From what I saw online, they made puzzles for every state, and each came in its own round box. They also made puzzles in round boxes based on some children's stories (I think that was it), and there is a blue one (Little Boy Blue???) that is extremely rare. 

Surprisingly, Springbok is not that old a company - they were founded in 1963. 

I have puzzles older than that. But in the blurb I read about Springbok, they got their inspiration from Waddington's (London) round puzzles. I have a couple of Waddington puzzles, and while they are probably 50 years old, they are nothing special. Well, maybe the size - I believe they are both 4000 pieces, and I have carried them around with me since I left the farm MANY years ago. I never dared to crack them open and do them myself. Although I think we may have done at least one of them as kids with my Mom. I'll have to ask her. 

I don't think these old puzzles are surfacing in thrift stores because people think they aren't appealing. But I have several old puzzles, and of course, there is the puzzle incident in our family! I'll attempt to get a picture of that puzzle at some point. 

But since we are quilters and sewists, here is an interesting puzzle. This one is made from a piece of fabric that is glued to wood and then cut out. 


A fabric and wood puzzle


A piece of the fabric was glued to the back of the box. 


The "picture"


And this is the final puzzle. It's 200 pieces. How cool is that? 

The completed puzzle


By the print, I'm guessing this was from the 70s. 

So if you have "vintage" puzzles at your house as you are clearing out clutter and you do NOT want them, let me know. I am NOT going to collect them, but it's interesting to see them. I have a puzzle here that belonged to my Dad, and before that, it belonged to his Dad. I'm not sure how I got it, but I found it the other day when I had to move the puzzles for the plumber. I must remember to ask. Wait—I'll take a picture and send it to Dad. 

We have gotten into the habit of sending short emails daily. He is not into phone calls and so darn hard to catch while home anyway. But the emails work for both of us. Now to grab a picture of that puzzle. 

I must brush up on the history of puzzles. Wait—a puzzle trivia event could be great for the Nationals next summer. I must bring that up to the group! On the next puzzle packing day, or I'll just drop Amanda a note. Done - I dropped her a note and ran and got pictures of Dad's puzzle. 


On that note, I'm off to the gym. I didn't go yesterday - it was a holiday; however, the gym was open. I took the day off, and now it's time to get back into the routine. 


It's going to be a wonderful day!!!


Ciao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment