Saturday, August 11, 2012

Henny Penny - The Sky is FALLING!!!!



Wait a minute! That is RAIN!!!   It hasn't rained here for so long, I practically forgot what it looked like.

When I walk the dogs in the morning, we walk through the forest. If it rains, there is a lot of cover so unless it is pouring, we rarely get wet. Let's just say we got WET WET WET this morning. Not complaining - the rain is so welcome. Actually we have had 3 days of rain - on and off. It is refreshing to say the least and nice relief from the HEAT.

Things have been happening around here - take a peek...........

Yes - I got the customer quilt done and it is already picked up and gone!!!!

Customer quilt


In June, I gave a LOT of homework to all my ongoing groups. Three months worth and that can be a daunting task to take all that on with no meeting to keep you on track. So I offered a couple of days for any of them to come to my house to work on the blocks - get help - get inspired or whatever they needed. Pretty neat offer!!!!

Five people took me up on the offer yesterday - here's what they accomplished.............

Linda learned how to make bias with the fusible bias maker (one of my favourite tools!!!) She was working on Spring has Sprung.


Marg was working on Dear Jane and got the center block complete (BY HAND!!!!) Way to go Marg.

Marg's center block for Dear Jane


Another challenging block completed by Marg

 Cathy brought her PROBLEM blocks to work on and I think she has the Y seam thing down perfect now.

Cathy's block - a LOT of pieces  and LOTS of Y seams

Another block by Cathy - no puckers - she did a great job on these

And yet another block by Cathy - I told you  - she brought all her Y seam blocks. And she is GREAT at them. No puckers, no tucks. Excellent job.  

Then she started to work on the HORRIBLE block. You will see it when it is done, but OH BOY - it is tough. There are a LOT of Y seams.

Lisa came and got some work done on her Dear Jane as well.

Dear Jane block by Lisa

Sharon was working on Farmer's Wife and managed to get TWO blocks completed.


Farmer's Wife block by Sharon

Second Farmer's Wife block by Sharon


While they were busy stitching away, when they didn't need me, I was also busy. See what I mean............


Got a backing sewn and for what you ask????

The raffle quilt which now has its borders on. It is next to go on the machine

And yards and yards of bias binding is ready as well


AH - now that the things "I have to get done" are done, I can just play around. I dug out Spring has Sprung and got to work on that.

Completed the cat block including the hand embroidery on his face. the old me would have left that - the new me says JUST DO IT!!!!!

Here are the components of Section One of this quilt. Still very much in progress. 


So much of this quilt is in bits and pieces. I am going to try and complete the half completed blocks so I can get it done. Would be nice to have ONE quilt finished for the reveal in November!!!!!



Speaking of November - I sent out a newsletter last night to those on my distributions lists outlining all the classes, workshops, etc that I am teaching, organizing for the fall. Try as I might to proof read the darn thing, there is one date error - will send out a correction notice today. If you are in the area and interested in getting the information, I will try to post some of it here (it is LONG), otherwise, send a note to me at elaine9703@rogers.com and I will forward the newsletter to you. People are already signing up! Boy  - they must NOT sleep.


As for not sleeping, I have always been a morning person. Around 10 PM- I would get tired and toddle off to bed. These days - I am dragging my butt in the morning and at 11 PM - I am wide awake.  What gives?????  Must be an age thing.


The other day on the blog - I talked about the quilts on barns, then mentioned we should put quilts on garages. Guess what - Susan (the Saskatchewan barn lady) has already done that. Here is the picture she sent me................


See the flying geese block above the garage door!!!!    Awesome Susan!!!!


Not to be outdone by Susan, I decided to get busy and see what I could do.  What do you think?????


Now that is AWESOME!!!!!!!   And don't you love those bright colours. Can't wait to hear what the neighbours have to say about that!!!!!!    At least people won't miss my house!!!!!



With the rain - the birds have decided that my backyard is a PARTY ZONE. Yes - they are FLOCKING in droves to my feeders.


This is as many as I could get in one shot. Notice there is a woodpecker there as well. I have to get him some woodpecker food!!!



So much happened when I was on my vacation. Here is one more thing I wanted to share with you.

While I was at the outdoor Quilt Show in Moose Jaw (don't worry - I almost have all the pictures ready to share with you), I had a peek at all the vendors. There were quilt stores and then there was Andrew.

Andrew is a painter  - have a look at his booth................   (thanks Shelley for the pictures)


Andrew's booth

Close up - can you see what those are pictures are of???


The one I wanted was the big long canvas top left in the bottom picture. He paints quilts on clotheslines. They are GORGEOUS!!!!    The framed one were beautiful, but going to be hard to bring home, although what makes a print easier?????   More likely to bend - DUH!!!!    But I managed to get mine home with NO DAMAGE.


My print!!!   Isn't it great!!!!

He also makes cards



If you are interested in looking at more of Andrew's work - check out his blog.


Andrew Meredith


Wow - what a day!!!!!   So much happening!  

And the garage door thing - well first off that is NOT my house. It is my neighbour's. Our cars were parked in the drive and I didn't want to move them to take the picture. And the quilt blocks - well let's just say Photoshop and EQ7 are wonderful tools!!!!!    But it looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!


I am going to miss the Olympics. Last night, the app wasn't working as it should, so I listened to the radio. Not the same!!!!!   I felt LONELY. Thank god - there are no TV apps on the iPad. Well that I know of and I am not searching them out. I am NOT as productive even with the TV sitting right on the sewing table.


Well - I must get out of here - lots to do today. another five people coming in to sew on their blocks and I get to work on Spring has Sprung.


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I hear you about the rain! We had 2 mm of rain all July in Eastern Ontario where I am. When the rain started, everyone on my street was on their front porch watching,,,like it was something we'd never seen before! I actually think we may be able to mow our lawn this weekend,,,for the first time since June!

    ReplyDelete