Thursday, August 16, 2012

Tour Atlantic - Day Three



What a day!!!!!


Have a look at the stats and you will see what I mean!!!

Day Three Stats



Yes - that "hill" at the end was really like that -  STRAIGHT UP and STRAIGHT DOWN. The maximum grade was 17% - didn't have time to check on the descent!!!!   I must say that I was wishing for 15%  on the way up - something that I usually dread. However it was short - only a 2 KM climb and nothing like climbs we did out in BC. But from a steepness perspective - oh yes - it has been the toughest. And then near the end of the day - there was a small hill - or should I say a SHORT hill, but very steep - also 17% grade in places.



So we are riding through the Annapolis Valley. You can see the RIDGE in the distance and by the map - we HAD to go over that ridge.


And here I am finally - at the base of the ridge. Only one way to go - UP!!!!!




The view from the top - the Altantic Ocean - The Bay of  Fundy!!!!!


The day started off great - had to walk up the hill from camp and then off into the fog for two hours. The sun did make an attempt to come out, but never really and then it clouded over (which was a good thing) but we could do without the drizzle.



Riding into the fog. The only good  thing about that - well you couldn't see how big the hills were until you got there and the fog kept you cool.



My lunch stop. The guys are always kidding me about all the stuf I carry in my two bags. Well I was happy for that stuff today. Had to make a pit stop and had the necessary supplies with me and I was developed a chaffing sore on my butt so I grabbed my vaseline and I was all set!!!!

This is typical of the roads we were on, although in some spots, the pavement was so bad, you could have lost a CAR in the holes. Which made for some tricky descents.
There were TWO major descents today and both of them FAST. Should I brake or ride out the bumps - don't want to freak you out, but a fall on one of those descents - well let's just say it wouldn't be pretty. Thank goodnes I have my RoadID bracelet on so they can at least identify what would be left of me!!!!!!    I DO NOT make stupid moves on my bike - don't get me wrong - I am quite careful. But at the end of one descent we had to break quite hard in order to turn the corner and that was a bit tough. And the temperature immediately went up by 10 degrees (or so it felt) just by slowing down!!!!


I am currently sitting in another shelter at a different campground ( a beautiful one right by the ocean). Great access to the internet - got to love these city people who need to stay connected.

Although I have had a shower, my feet STINK!!!!!   I hope that is my feet!!!  (actually it is my shoes - got to find some baby powder)  Oh the joys of camping - my toe nails are FILTHY and can't seem to get them clean. Perhaps a pedicure will be of the first order when I get home.

There were NOT a lot of places to stop for goodies along the way, but I started to crave orange juice. I know - why orange juice????   Well it is different from water - loaded with sugar and energy. I stopped at a small store along the way  and got a small bottle and after I left - I thought - I should have gotten a bigger one. Then I stopped at the grocery store in Bridgeport and got a BIG bottle. And our cooks just happened to be there at the same time so after filling up the water bottle, I gave them the rest to bring back to camp. Perfect timing!!!!

So when I got to camp - I had TWO apples and orange juice. Close to 4000 calories expended  today  - lots of climbing. A bit of a head wind, but honestly I did not feel the head wind.

Overall, I am doing pretty good and pretty happy with my cycling considering, I didn't do as much training as I should have. I rode alone today and although the guys caught up to me - I let them ride ahead. Yeah!!!!   Then if I was having a moment - I could stop and catch my breath or whatever.


My back is tired but besides that - I seem to be doing just A - OK. And except for the fact that I seem to be constantly hungry - I am having a great time.

Mike helped me set up my tent when I arrived since we have the same tent and it was spitting rain. Just makes it go faster with two people. Thanks Mike!!!

It is different with a small group - only nine of us. We sat around the "campfire" (no camp fire, but we sat around in chairs) last night and chatted. We learned about mosquitos, paddleboard yoga and many other topics - some of which need to remain in camp!!!!!  

Oh by the way - yes I did try the mussels last night. They were OK, but I didn't eat lots. Perhaps why I am so hungry today.


Here is a picture of camp last night.


Bud, George and Mike

OK - that is it for me. Sorry if this all seems jumbled - I may have rattle some brains loose on those descents!!!!

Have a great day!!!!


Ciao!!!!


PS - don't forget - if you comment on the blog - they get sent to me via the wonderful cellular network, so don't be shy!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Any other females on this trip or is it just you and the guys??

    Some of those descents look pretty scary - your heart rate actually increased going down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh shoot, I thought you were doing the Cabot Trail and you are not! So, forget about Rita McNeil's Tea Room, cause you won't see it!! Great to read about your travels. Our adventure is tame compared to yours! Be careful.
    <3 M

    ReplyDelete