Thursday, August 23, 2012

Tour ATlantic - DAy Ten


Wow - already DAY TEN!!!!!   Hard to believe.

I did NOT sleep well last night. I have no idea what was happening, but I wasn't tired. I tossed and turned. I read my book and finally around 1 AM, I got off to a decent sleep.

Up at six even though we didn't have tents to take down, I still had to get all my stuff organized on the truck and since I was busy reading the day before - I did not do that house keeping.

We have FIVE new people riding with us today - Ainsley, Sharon, Ian, Dorothea and Mya. (I am guessing at those spellings|!!!)

We said good bye to Scott (although he rode part of the way with us), Diane and Diana


Hey Diana - we missed you today - and Scott and Diane


We started the day off with a stop at Tim's for oatmeal and a breakfast sandwich - which I saved for later in the day. Then we were off. We headed across the bridge in Charlottetown, there was a pretty awful head wind. Good god - how long is this going to last?????

Then the group caught up to me and we were off. Scott decided to ride with us part of the way and then turn around.

The day was filled with GREAT CYCLING - the sun was out - the temperature was just right - not too much wind - no technical issues - it was PERFECT. Oh yes - NO hills - or not very many or not very steep or long. Like I said - it was PERFECT.

We rode to the ferry that would take us to Nova Scotia, but I had a mild heart attack when I see NFL on the ferry. Ooops - did I take a wrong turn and I'm going to NFL?????   Nope - we were at the right spot.



On board the ferry
Leaving the harbour from PEI




Although the day was great a couple of events could have had a different ending. For the most part, the cars and especially the big trucks are VERY respectful of the cyclist giving us lots of room or as much as is possible depending on the road and traffic conditions. Every once in a while - you get some yahoo - who thinks we are scum. Today a car whizzed by preety close and it takes a while to recognize what just happened. Then I gave him the finger!!!!!

The other incident was a tad more scary and the first time it has happened to me. I am riding by myself and thankfully on a fairly straight FLAT stretch of road. I hear rustling in the bushes in the ditch and this HUGE dog bounds out and starts chasing me. Barking and growling - he did NOT look too happy. While I sped up, so did the dog. Then I started yellilng at the dog - rather loudly and either he was discourage by that or didn't think I was fat enough - he gave up the chase. Hmmm - didn't notice if my heart rate went up at that moment!!!!

So Scott - that was not long after you passed me - if you wondered what I was yelling at - it was the damn dog!!!!!

While we could have taken Highway one all the way from Charlottetown to the ferry, we had side routes to take and the traffic was much quieter, less wind and a tad shorter. However there was a couple of times when you wonder when is the end and then you could see the end of the island and knew that the road would have to end SOON!!!!


Everywhere here, we have seen these chairs. Now in most places they were four different colours. I never got a picture of that, but here are the chairs - there would be four of them - a green, blue, yellow and red one.


I had to wait about 1 hour for the ferry and the ferry ride was 1 hour 15 minutes long. Had a sandwich on the ferry and then we were off again. It really was a great great ride.

Arrived in camp about 3 PM and got everything set up - quick - had a shower - forgot my towel in the truck but everything is dry - including my FEET.- the view if great.


Just a view of the END of the island. The road had to end somewhere!!!


I grabbed a chair and sat down to read my book - which I still have 160 pages to go - it is a BIG book. Then I decided I had better get this blog done.

And I took this picture for Robin. This is on PEI. There are SO MANY little places that look like this and it reminds me of her new digs!!!!!




Some of the places were so smazing - well maintained - I could live there!!!!!



OK - got to load the pictures which are already edited!


Tour Atlantic - Day 10


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Elaine:
    I've been keeping track of your progress by reading your blog each day. Sorry to see your tour didn't reach northeast New Brunswick. The chairs you liked so much on PEI are Adirondack chairs and I believe the names comes from the mountains in northeast USA.
    We took a trip to Lunenburg and Mahone Bay a few years ago and we were told the chairs, and also the houses, are painted in bright colours so the fishermen could come ashore near their homes.
    By the way, everyone (including me) want to move to PEI after their first visit. Cavendish, in the north central area, is a piece of Heaven for sure. We had a booth at the Wood Island Welcome Centre last September for the 14th annual 70-mile yard sale. What fun and what great people.
    Have a wonderful time and a safe journey to Cape Breton and prepare for hills.
    Stay dry!
    Marie Murphy
    P.S. Peanut butter is great, but I love mussels.

    ReplyDelete