Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Tour ATlantic - DAy Eight



So while I do have access to the internet right now - I am too tired to think about writing the story of the day.

Here are the stats

Tour Atlantic - Day Eight



Let me just say that I rode with George, Mike and Frank. There were few hills and they kept a good pace going. If you check the average speed between days - my average today was pretty high (almost 23 KPH) which is significantly higher than on previous days!!!!!




Still having fun - my legs are a tad tired today. First day of fatigue!!!   So that is not bad!!!


Coming back to finish this day although I don't have time as we are now waiting to go to dinner on our rest day.


I zipped down to the beach area at Shediac before heading on the road. It is a beautiful beach - too bad I am not into the beach thing. Mike helped me fix my handelbars the night before so I was all set.


Beach at Shediac - gorgeous!!!!!
A few pictures from camp ......

Mike and Bruce discussing the ins and out of some gizmo on Bruce's bike


Now in every camp situation - you have the snorers.............





And the non snorers...................






Yep - seems to be only one snorer in the group. Poor Bruce is segregated!!!!!



Scott and Diane hanging out at camp


Renee doing dishes

Mike in his little portable chair. Not sure how he manages to stay up right in it, but he does well!!!
Now let me tell you about Frank. Frank is from the US and he is special!!!!!   I have never seen anyone with so many pills!!!!!!   You have an ailment - Frank has a pill for that!!!!    And the number of supplements he takes - well - let's just say Frank has a LOT of pills................

Frank's pills


Didn't take long for Mike and George to catch up to me and we were off. The hills were SMALL - they barely counted as hills. It was a glorious ride.

We caught up to Frank at some point and the four of us arrived at THE BRIDGE - The Confederation Bridge. What a site - it is an amazing feat. Hard to believe that it has been FIFTEEN years since that bridge was built. Yes - FIFTEEN!!!!!!


Waiting for the shuttle


Loading the bikes on the shuttle


Scot riding out to view the bridge



Confederation Bridge


You cannot walk nor ride your bicycle across the bridge. You call the shuttle and they will pick you up. Remember to take a NUMBER because it is first come - first serve. With some of the pedestrians wanting to cross (for lunch and shopping), our group of four made it onto the first shuttle. While we were waiting, the others arrived, but there was no room so they had to wait. Apparently it was about 45 minutes so not that long.


Then we climbed in the shuttle. I handed my camera to George who took pictures after MUCH protest!!!!

Crossing the bridge


And then we are on Prince Edward Island. What a beautiful island. (I was here in 1979)  Saw LOTS of potatoe fields (and the potatoes here are AMAZING!!!!!!) - you get not one but TWO baked potatoes with your meals.


Potatoe fields with the bridge in the distance


There was only one nasty hill all day and it was only 6% but it seemed more because my legs were tired. I didn't gear down far enough and I hurt my knee. Not bad - just a bit of pressure. STUPID STUPID STUPID. So I started to lag behind the guys a bit.

We are staying at Holland College which is right down town Charlottetown. A beautiful location.



Got unpacked and INTO A DECENT shower. Not that we haven't had good showers along the way because the camp sites have been great. But the ground was damp - your shoes would get wet and my feet would stink!!!!!    They are DRY!!!!!!   


After a group dinner of amazing SALMON cooked by Renee, some of us went out to walk around. Little did I know - we ended up bar hopping and I didn't have any money!!!!!


The bar hoppers!!!!


Back to the dorm room and into bed with my book!!!!!!!    And an air conditioner!!!!!!!!!!


The weather got sunny and hot - today was one of the best cycling days of the trip. It was AWESOME. I can see why Robin bought a house here and wants to retire here. I could do that too!!!!!


OK - have to find some pictures to add to this and then one more day to catch up on.


Have a good day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment