Saturday, August 18, 2012

Tour ATlantic - Day Four



I am not even sure how to start.

We were sitting around our campsite on Day three. It was spitting a bit and then after dinner it POURED. I mean POURED cats and dogs. I was trying to finish my book so stubbornly did not go to my tent. Then I had to make the mad dash to the tent and got soaked!!!!!


Here is out campsite and that is part of The Bay of Fundy in the background


We took a little walk down to the wharf after dinner and all the fishing boats were DRY DOCKED!!!!   The tides here can be as high as 28 feet!!!!!!    We didn't go back in the morning to see the difference, but it doesn't seem to be high tides at this point in time.


Here is a better view of the Bay. It was gorgeous but watch those storm clouds on the left!!!!


Looking just to the left of the other picture. You can see the breakwater on the left that was put up 10 years ago to protect the docks.



This is Renee - our evening cook. She got caught in the rain - see how ominious those clouds are in the background????



Fortunately we woke up and it was foggy, but no rain. But the tents are WET. My feet just don't seem to get dry and they stink!!!!   Well - the shoes. I know - what a memory to take home from the trip - stinky feet!!!!!   Next time - I am bringing CHEAP flip flops that can be tossed. I paid good money for these ones, but they do NOT dry out well.

I got myself organized in the morning and took off. The first turn of the day was 7 KM away. When I reached that point, I didn't see the sign. Perhaps I missed it?????   Oh the mileage is a bit off, so I continue on for a ways. No there is a problem. I stop to ask someone and he said - Oh to get to where you want to go - you have to go back to the other campground (the one I started at) and go this way and do this. NO WAY!!!!!!   He MUST be wrong. Anyway - he gave me an alternative route that was flatter and flatter is IMPORTANT to a cyclist.

However that flat route involved 6 KM of GRAVEL road. I did ask what condition the road was in - don't forget we had that torrential down pour the night before and sometimes gravel roads DO NOT hold up in that kind of weather. He said good. Well - I took up the challenge.


The gravel road.


This reminded me so much of the Dempster Highway!!!!!   My bike knew exactly what to do!!!!!   However I saw the sign that said 14 K to Analopolis Valley - (the town) and that would put me at 30 K to get there, while the map said 10K.   What the HELL did I do wrong??????  

I did have some descents on the gravel and it was a little hairy as I had to ride without my glasses and there was some minor erosion because of the rain. But that trusty bike knew exactly what it was doing!!!!  And the larger touring tires can handle the gravel.

And yes by this point - I was MAD. Did I say I was MAD????   I was fuming - I was MAD at myself and I still didn't know how I got so messed up.

Made it through the gravel road OK - and even saw a "people crossing" sign in the middle of nowhere. At least that made me laugh a bit.

And I did get to see this pretty bike all painted up with flowers


I saw a red one as well, but didn't stop to take a picture.


I got back on track to the map, but this extra loop cost me TWENTY km. Good grief. By the time I got back on track, my blood had stopped simmering (for the most part). But I ran into rain and I was just not as happy as I could be. Again - I had NO ONE to blame but ME.


So I went from gravel roads to super highways!!!!


Riding into Digby on the expressway!!!!!

I know - pretty weird and we had to go over a couple of bridges (rode the sidewalks on those) as there was not a lot of room for the traffic to give us room.

I finally met up with the group (and yes I was DEAD LAST) in the preplanned restaurant. So after a bit of discussion, I realized that I screwed up right at the beginning. Instead of turning LEFT from the campground - I turned RIGHT. Don't ask me why!!!  After some of the discussion the night before, I had it in my mind that we were doing the hill that we could see from the camp ground, but in fact everyone meant the hill that we had come down. Who knew??????


I thought is a bit confusing since I read the TURN signs, but ignored the very first line.

IMPORTANT LESSON LEARNED here - READ THE DAMN MAP!!!!!!!


So it made sense after all that as to what the man who gave me directions said. But GRRRRRRRRRR


Diane really really wanted a chi latte tea (or something like that) and this restaurant didn't make them, but they made a valiant attempt - steamed milk, tea and honey!!!!   We'll try anything when we are desperate


In actuality my detour wasn't such a big deal because we only had to ride 46 K to Digby and then we had to wait until 4 PM for the ferry so those that had arrived early were bored while they waited. I, on the other hand, had just enough time and then we were off to the ferry.

But in my little time in Digby, I did manage to find the quilt store!!!!   Got another FQ of orange fabric and so far they are all looking nice together.


This is how bored some of the group was. This is Frank having a rest while he "guards" the bikes for the rest of us!!!

Then a quick 8 K ride to the ferry terminal where we loaded the bikes on top of the van.

Loading the bikes on the van - that is my white bike at the front




We waited another hour or so before we could actually board the ferry. Then it was a THREE hour ferry ride to Saint John. I had a book, but I just couldn't get into it as much as I wanted. Sat outside for a while, but it got cold.

Some people slept..........


Diana who moved once the ferry got going as it was cold on deck



Frank - sleeping AGAIN. I'm getting worried about him!!!!   He takes enough supplements/pills in a day to support us ALL!!!!!



Diane and her husband Scott sitting outside enjoying the day


Oh yes - because even though we had rain in the morning when we rode - it cleared up later in the day. Of course!!!!!



After we arrived in Saint John - it was take the bikes off the truck and get to camp ASAP.


Renee taking the bikes down


Thank god that Bud led us to the camp ground. We are in Saint John, but the road twisted and turned and I'd still be lost!!!!!!


Set a record in setting up the tent - it was now 8 PM and getting dark. Then off to dinner at the restaurant on the campground. A wedding was taking place and I think some of the people had had too much to drink since they were asking ME what my name was. Here I am- still in my bike clothes - stinking to high heaven and they want to know my name?????    A little deperate I think!!!!!!

I think we must have a salvage yard close to the campground as we heard a LOT of metal grinding and twisting this AM while still trying to sleep. Got my laundry done and now finally the blog is done!!!!!    We have the rest of the day free - it is still foggy here so not sure what is going to happen.

Oh yes - here are my feet -


Dirty - stinky feet



See - well it is hard to see here, but I did manage to get some of the dirt off in the shower last night. But a pedicure would be great when I get home!!!!   I don't remember having this problem in previous years.


Got the rest of the day to do NOTHING. Might get my running shoes on and walk into town or take the bus.


And have a look at the map on the stats - you can see that little detour. CRAP CRAP CRAP - well I can laugh about it now!!!

Tour ATlantic - Day Four





Have a great day!!!!!!!!!

Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Finally got to read your blog. I SO admire you doing this. Camping in the rain and dealing with fog and drizzle would drive me bananas but I know from my hikes you just get in the zone and suck it up! Happy dry riding from here on in. Maybe see you in Toronto at beg of Sept??

    ReplyDelete