Thursday, August 30, 2012

Tour Atlantic - The Aftermath!!!!




Getting home was a bit of an adventure. And took ALL DAY!!!!!

My friend Joyce was flying from Sydney, NS to Toronto EARLY on the same day that I was flying home. So George and I hitched a ride with Joyce and her son. That meant we got up at THREE AM. I know - how crazy was that!!!!


Me and Joyce - yes my eyes are closed - I was half asleep!!!!!!


After dropping Joyce at the airport for her 6 AM flight, we got dropped off at Tim's. We had to wait for a half hour before Tim's opened. It was COOL outside and seemed even colder inside!!!!

We were waiting until 8 AM when the car rental place opened so we could pick up the van that we would drive to Halifax. Now the ideal plan was for those leaving Baddeck to take the bus. There was a slight problem with the bus - getting a ticket on the bus probably wasn't an issue, but ensuring that all the bikes would get on the bus - well there was NO guarantee. And it wouldn't have been good to get to the airport and not have a bike. Hence George rented a van and Mike and myself decided that we would split the cost with him.

After consulting the internet, we realized that the van rental place was 1 K away from Tim's. That was easy. We walked down, the place was open early. The lady seemed NOT impressed when we walked in early and said we were there to pick up the van (which was on their schedule for 11 AM). We even said we did NOT need it to be cleaned, but no they cleaned it and 15 minutes later we were off. IMPRESSIVE service Budget!!!!!

Took one hour to get back to Baddeck. We even passed the bus that was on its way to Baddeck to pick up the rest of the group.



Loaded up the van - thank goodness there were only three of us because that is all that would fit in the van. Don't forget we had THREE bikes and all our luggage.

Yes - that van was full!!!!



Then the long drive to Halifax. George and I napped in the car while Mike drove. I was so tired!!!! And seemed so funny to drive down some of the roads that we had just covered on a bike. We even passed TWO quilt shops and I didn't say a word!

We dropped George off where he had parked his truck in Halifax and then back to the airport. Mike and I put our bikes on the FREE luggage carts (thanks Halifax Airport) and got to the elevators - he was going to US - me to Canada. We got in separate elevators without saying good bye. Ooops - he was going to third floor - me to the second. Oh crap - well I'll try to find him once I get rid of my luggage. As I was standing in line, Mike found me to say good-bye.

For some reason, I had in my head that my flight was at 7 PM, but when I checked the paperwork - nope - 5:40 or something like that - so that was a bonus. As I am sitting at the gate - I notice that the flight is delayed. Crap - I have a connection to make in Ottawa. Then I look a bit closer - no that isn't even my flight. Turns out there were TWO flights to Ottawa about 1 hour apart (?????)  The plane for the first flight had been hit by lightening and they were checking it out thoroughly. Needless to say - I could have made money by selling my seat, but I didn't!!!!!  The gate for our flight was changed. It was a big confusing for everyone.

A major switching of seats - I was asked to switch my seat before we got on so a couple with a baby could sit together. No problem - I got to move up one row. Then on the plane, two sisters were apart and the lady made such a big deal about it (she was RUDE and annoying because she had to put her OWN luggage in the over head bin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Anyway - I switched seats and again moved up one row. Then another couple wanted to switch seats (all this happens because people DO NOT do the on-line check-in. I offered my seat again - I could have moved up 5 rows, but this other couple that seemed to be together, but turns out they weren't or they were having a major fight! - so I stayed where I was. The hostess thought she had a seat for me right at the front - but that didn't work out!!!!

Normally I like to watch the take off but I don't remember a thing. I was asleep and woke up to the beverage service.

Landed in Ottawa and made the connection to Toronto and got to sit in the front row (behind the business class). Then got my luggage home and I was home. Sat around and caught up with the news at home before crashing.


Although it is exciting to go away, the best part of the trip is coming home. My girls were certainly happy to see me - the four legged ones and the two legged one too.

Now to see if I can edit that darn video and load the pictures from yesterday's blog.




Here are MY stats for the entire trip - pretty cool numbers to brag to your friends about!!!!!

Distance: 1,372.22 kmTime: 77:59:56 h:m:sElevation Gain: 13,854 mAvg Speed:17.6 km/hAvg HR:121 bpmCalories:42,924 CAvg Distance:114.35 kmMedian Distance:120.30 kmMax Distance:163.65 kmAvg Time:6:30:00 h:m:sMedian Time:6:08:25 h:m:sMax Time:9:14:01 h:m:sAvg Elevation Gain:1,155 mMedian Elevation Gain:1,123 mMax Elevation Gain:1,465 mElevation Loss: 13,849 mAvg Elevation Loss: 1,154 mMedian Elevation Loss: 1,177 mMax Elevation Loss: 1,472 mMax Avg Speed: 22.5 km/hMax Speed: 70.9 km/hMax Avg HR: 129 bpmMax HR: 166 bpm





Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment