Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Gallery Sitting


I LOVE the Joshua Creek Heritage Art Centre so much - I decided to volunteer there. Last Friday was my first day. When I arrived the parking lot was PACKED!!!   Wow - what the heck is going on? I went into the gallery - it is empty. I go to the house and there is a huge crowd of people sitting around the table just finishing their lunch. WHOA!!!!   Who are all these friendly people?????

Turns out they are from the Friday watercolour class. They do a pot luck for lunch. After chatting with several of them, they have been coming for YEARS while others were fairly new. All ages, mostly women, but a couple of men. Wow - they sure looked like they were having fun!!!!!

Well - I had a goodie (homemade fruit cake) and then went to the gallery. It was very quiet but I was perfectly happy with that. No noise - no radio, just peace and quiet. Several of the students wandered in for inspiration and so I got to chat with them and of course Sybil - the inspiration behind the gallery, also the owner.


Have a look - how could you NOT want to be there................
This is the "great room" or the extension of the kitchen. Pieces of artwork are also hung in this space. But look at that big table just waiting to be used!!!!!

Same room - looking back to the kitchen (a fully equipped kitchen )
Looking out the side of the same room. On a sunny day - this place will be awesome.

The view!!!!   OK - I can't wait for the weather to warm up so we can sit outside. 




Anyway - I am back at the gallery this Friday from 1 to 4. I've been invited for lunch. Hmmm - got to see how my day goes. This is the LAST week for the watercolour show by Mercedes Horne. It really is a neat show and even if you aren't into watercolour, I was IMPRESSED by the INK WORK that she did on every single piece. And the colours are BRILLIANT - literally!!!!


The new show which is going up on Sunday is called ART from the HEART. It is a show about artists who have experienced adversity and challenges. You can read more about it at the web site.


Joshua Creek Heritage Art Centre



I'm looking forward to seeing that show. While I LOVE quilting, I think it is very inspirational to look at other art work, do other things (like learn to play bridge!!! - but that's another story), ride a bike. Anyway - you get the picture.


And in order to do that - one must learn to eat healthy so you have the stamina. I have booked an appointment with the chiro to talk about a detox program. What is involved and how helpful will it be???

Ooops - let me tell you about my other ART GALLERY story. I was at PAMA (Peel Art Gallery and Museum Archives) on Sunday afternoon to do the demo on the MOLAS. I was CERTAIN that I took pictures of our set up, but well - I guess I didn't. I was too excited????


Here is a sneak peek at the Secret Garden in the tunnel which joins several of the buildings............

The Secret Garden
A VERY small part of the tunnel walls


The gallery has hired some very nice ladies (actually quite young) that are the guest services people. They were very informative and personable. Apparently future displays in the tunnel will be community based displays. I love it. I think the quilter's guild should get something in there!!!!!


And the MOLA exhibit - well it was STUNNING. There were a LOT of MOLAs and so many different kinds than I ever thought existed. It was great fun to see them and realize what they depicted.


PART of the MOLA display


If you get a chance, you should go and check this out. It is on loan from The Textile Museum, but I don't know how often it gets on display so check it out NOW!!!!!!


Someone asked me the other day - what "pills" I take to keep up my energy level. Hmmmm - I sure hope it isn't sugar since I am going to try and cut that out of the diet. I do know that my ENTIRE life, I have worked out at the gym or walked or did some form of exercise EVERY DAY. OK - so MOST days - there were a couple of times when I was a tad too sick (I was a sickly child!!! and a NON-ATHLETIC one too). But in my adult life, I have worked out or walked almost every day. While I do not eat super healthy, I do try to watch what I eat.  Although there was a time when I had a COKE (the real thing) and a chocolate bar EVERY DAY!!!!!!!!      Of course now I have replaced that with hot chocolate!!!


The other thing I was blessed with is the HALF FULL/HALF EMPTY thing. I don't know if you are born with that or you make it happen, but my cup is NEVER half empty - it is ALWAYS HALF FULL. I try to find the silver lining in every cloud (which bugs people a lot) but life is too short to get down on yourself or others.

So instead of having toast with jam for breakfast (which is just horrible) or cereal (which is equally horrible) , here is my new breakfast...........

That is half of an everything bagel, a tablespoon of cream cheese, cucumbers, tomatoe (the carrots are for the dogs), a calcium chewable, a glass of milk and some melon. 

And I had almonds when I got up so I had something in my stomach before I went to the gym.

Got to make an honest effort to make this happen. And for no other reason, than I want to.


Well - I have so much work to do today and I am so far behind that my brain is wanting to say HALF EMPTY - let's have a bad day. BUT - I can't do that. So - we are going to focus on one thing and move forward.



Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment