Friday, February 8, 2013

Why I don't like jelly rolls.................



OK - snow day today. I had better make some good use of the day. The first thing I should be focusing on is tidying up this room. I think I have been coming home the last couple of days and just dumping......


This room looks like a disaster!!!!!!!!    And yes those are the nutcrackers on the left  - they need to be put into their box. There are piles of scraps on the floor to be cut for the crochet rugs - I NEED one of those strips cutters - NOT an accucut - too much money for me, but I need one of those big plastic things that I can cut the strips rather than move the ruler. (It is by June Taylor) I don't care for great accuracy here. Does anyone have one of those??????   I have the small one for cutting fringe, but a bigger one would be great. 



OK - so I mentioned jelly rolls the other day. While the concept is brilliant - I get a strip of every fabric in a particular line of fabric, but when you go to make a pattern - there is NEVER enough lights and darks to suit the pattern you want to make.

Here is an example.........................

Here is the pattern I want to make. And I want to emphasis those little pinwheels - otherwise what is the point of making them. 

Here is the jelly roll I am going to use. It is a line from Kansas Troubles. (Hey Marian - can  you tell me what line????)


I am afraid that if I use the "plain" beige on the bottom for the pinwheels that they will bleed into the other lights unless I very carefully place them. So I decided to eliminate ALL these strips except the bottom three for the pinwheels). I think there are EIGHT that I put back in the Kansas Troubles basket of fabric. 

Then I cut some additional strips from OTHER Kansas Troubles that I had to make up for those lights that I eliminated

This blue (there isn't ANY blue in the jelly roll) which has the red and green in it - will be used for the dark half of the pinwheels

More reds in case I need a few more - I didn't cut the same amount I eliminated



But this is my biggest beef with jelly rolls - unless you just throw it together, you often lose the pattern or can't follow the pattern. But I like this solution. So maybe I will look at doing that with other jelly rolls that I have.



The other day I mentioned that I am learning to play bridge. Well - Flo - we will just have to learn to HATE her. We are HOOKED.


I bought cards so we could play at Monday Motivators (for practice of course)

Got some books from the library to help with the strategy


And many of us have downloaded apps on our iPads so we have "someone" to play with. I am liking the game very much and here I always thought playing bridge was an "older" person's way of passing the afternoon with tea and goodies. HOLY COW - this is a serious game. You never know - we may end up ditching the sewing machines on Monday and just come to play bridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!  


Well - I see time is marching on and I had better get something useful done with my day.



Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment