Monday, September 16, 2013

Tour du Mississauga


In an effort to show its citizens how bike friendly the City is trying to be - they host a Tour every year. This is the 6th year. While I knew there were lots of bike paths (on and off road) and for the most part  I ride on the road, I thought this would be fun.

I decided that I do NOT live that far from the start point (11 KM) - funny how on a bike you count the KM and in the car you count minutes!  I had NO idea the distance in K until I road it with my bike.

Arriving at Celebration Square at City Hall
The start time was 8 AM. I have to say that I was a bit nervous - haven't been out for a couple of weeks and it is a LONG time that I haven't been on my road bike. But everything was GREAT - can't believe how LIGHT that road bike is compared to my touring bike. Not that there is much difference in weight between the two (just a couple of pounds), but it is all the stuff you carry - since I had NO HANDLEBAR bag yesterday - that bike was VERY LIGHT compared to the weight from the summer.

As I was standing in line waiting for the event to start, I heard my name and there was Kathleen from The Healing Cycle bike club (now called Credit Valley Bike Club). Anyway - I met Kathleen when I first started to ride. Then we were off and I never saw her again.

Let's just say that the start was CRAZY (as is all events of this kind). While we got through the first couple of lights with police holding the traffic, we were then on our own. They also let us go in waves, but still - there was so much congestion every time we stopped at a light that I eventually fell back so I could ride with some wide open space. I HATE riding in a group - I TRUST NO ONE!!!!

The congestion at the lights - too chaotic for me
I was very concerned about the directions, BUT not to worry - even though we had turn by turn instructions AND a map, there was no need as they had markers on the road to indicate turns. It was brilliant and only once because I was looking AHEAD, did I almost miss the markers. At the beginning of course - it was easy - I just followed the group.
Route markers for the 100K

Route markers for the 60K

And where does one go to do 100 KM in your own city????   Have a look at the route - it is crazy!!!!  But it was a great route. We went through some amazing neighbourhoods.


Tour du Mississauga

There was also 60K, 30K and 15K route and at one point, we were riding with the 60K group. Lots of people and a lot more congested, but they were easy to scoot by.

Took me five hours, but there was a LOT of stopping and starting because of the traffic lights. The weather was awesome - no rain, not hot, not cold. Although it looked like it was going to rain.

The time passed by very quickly and then POOF - I was back at City Hall and in line for the BBQ lunch. While waiting in the line, I met Keith (I think that is his name) - also from the Healing Cycle club.

Waiting in line for the free BBQ lunch
And while eating my lunch - who do I run into but Bruce. Bruce and I were on Tour Atlantic last year. How wild is that!!!!!   Let's not forget that there were 2,300 riders yesterday!!!!   Anyway - we had a good chat and he sent me the UGLY picture of me that I wanted. I'll show you another day!!!!!

Bruce and I relaxing after our ride
Hopped back on the bike and was home in 35 minutes.

I have to say that my legs were tired. I kind of exploded away from the street lights and well - my legs are tired. I DID NOT go to spin class today. I figure I need a break!!!!

For the most part I think the ride went well. I personally didn't have any issues, but I did see once instance of a driver who was trying to cut off the riders. We are on 10th line and there are HUNDREDS of cyclists going up that road ON THE BIKE PATH. When we arrive at the right hand turn at the end - a STUPID STUPID STUPID motorist just drives as close to the curb IN THE BIKE LANE as possible. How could you miss that many cyclists??????   I don't think it was intentional - but SERIOUSLY?????  

And then shortly after that - I am following a man on his bike. I can see his jacket is starting to come out of his pocket. I yell at him and he waves his hand so I think he hears me. but he does NOTHING about his jacket and a few minutes later - YEP - it falls out. I YELL again and I have a pretty powerful voice. NOTHING. Hmmmmmm - do I be nice and stop and pick it up? I might not catch him and why should I do that????   So I sprint ahead and have to ride RIGHT BESIDE HIM and STILL YELLING because he has FLIPPING EAR BUDS IN. COME ON people!!!!!!!!!!!   If you can't hear me yell - you sure can't hear a horn or be aware of the traffic around you. That drives me crazy whether it is a jogger or a cyclist - people CANNOT hear with those ear buds in and that is DANGEROUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Look at the signs on the bike trails as well. I was VERY impressed!!!!!
This is called an Elipti-Go. I couldn't get a better picture, but wow - looks like fun??????   I think I like sitting down. He was cruising right along though.


Here is a better picture of it!!!!!
If you do a Google search, you will find a whole lot more information and a video. It is pretty cool looking, BUT no I do not want one!!!!

And I laughed when I saw this!!!!!!!!!!!!    A BRISTOL truck - yep - that made me think of Tour du Canada since we had a Bristol truck and that was our HOME for 10 weeks.

But this was a BABY Bristol compared to what we had!!!!!




On that note - I will have to tell you all about our Sunday dinner tomorrow. I am running out of time.


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment