Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Why CHANGE is GOOD!!!!!


One of the books on our reading list for the book club is The Hunger Games. I haven't started it yet and I am not sure that I want to read it. But someone in the group forwarded this link of a short story that was written in 1948


The Lottery (1948)


Have a read - as you read through, I think you can imagine what is going to happen. But also take note of how casual they are about the whole thing and the fact that they have forgotten WHY they do things, but since they have always done it LIKE THIS - they must continue even though the end results are tragic.

Hopefully nothing that we do routinely has the same result as this story, but does make you think about WHY you do some of the things you do. Is it time for a change OR at least think about WHY you are doing that particular task that way. Maybe there is an easier way, if that task needs to be done at all!!!!!


Now onto some more exciting stuff.


Those Monday ladies have been busy!!!!!   And I think that some of them are NOT the same person that they were when I left for vacation.


Margo with a gorgeous yellow/grey and white quilt. 
Joyce R. with the center of her quilt. Now normally Joyce makes things with BIG pieces. See change is good!!!!   

Judy - what can I say about Judy. She used to make quilts from panels, then kits. NOW - well she bought this on Friday. It is cut out, sewn together, FREE MOTION quilted AND the binding was on BY MONDAY.   Where is the REAL Judy?????    And Judy - CHANGE feels good!!!!   It must because she is really doing different stuff these days. 

The Monday group has been going for a LONG time. We had a lady in our group (Kathy who passed away a couple of years ago). Anyway, Kathy was so excited to belong to a "guild" even though we technically are not a guild. We all got together and made the blocks for this quilt and Margo assembled it and quilted it. 

Well - you can read that by the label on the back of the quilt. See why labels are so important?????   I had forgotten about this quilt until we saw it at the visitation. LABEL those quilts!!!!!!!!!!!!   I can't remember why Margo brought it to Monday Motivators????   Oh dear - maybe just for show n tell. 




And then there was Joyce W who was working on something. What was she working on?????
YEP - she was putting the finishing touches on that Seasonal $10 quilt!!!!!!!    Way to go Joyce!!!!!    I won't be the only one with one of these to show!!!!!   


Here are MY two autumn quilts - look close - there really are TWO quilts there!!!!   Oh - can you see what I did with the border?????   Had to do a patch job because of the shortage of that border fabric. AND I still had enough for the binding!!!!!   

You see - I did have a scrap and I joined the scrap, swiped a piece off the binding (where there was a bit of extra) and joined all that together . The above is ALL THAT WAS LEFT!!!!!!!!

And there is the pieced corner of the border!!!!!   Doesn't look so bad!!!!!!!!!!   And I bet if I didn't tell you - well I doubt you would know!!!!


Back to work on the spring quilts.

Managed to get the log cabins cut!

Started to sew on them

Progress to date - the big question - can I get them done by Friday AM?????   I have a sit n sew that day and I will need the wall for the group, but I don't want to have to take down these pieces?????     Better get sewing!!!!!!

However besides getting some paper cleaned up and e-mails and all sorts of that administrative stuff which I hate, but I find that I work better on it in the basement rather than upstairs. Now I wonder why that is?????   Perhaps because this is my happy place and as long as I am here, I don't care what I am doing????   Well - that sounds like a good answer so I will stick with that!!!!

But I got a charity quilt quilted!!!!!

Quilting detail


This is the FIRST of many that have to be done. But I will work my way through that pile of stuff slowly. There is no rush - we just wanted to have some stuff that the Monday group could give away and it is helping me clean up those scraps that I had designated for charity quilts. Got to trim and get the binding on and then someone else will stitch the binding down.!!!!


And my child would tell me that change is good. She DESPERATELY needs a job for gas money because her mean old parents won't give her any. We told her to go back to McDonald's or try Tim's. No WAY - BEEN THERE - DONE THAT. So she did manage to get hired yesterday at BCBG - a high end clothing store in the local mall. Now I appreciate her getting a job BUT in a clothing store - yes change is good, but that is like me working in a FABRIC store. She won't be bringing home much money - well she has no choice!!!!!!


On that note - I have loads of stuff to do today so I had better get started.



Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!


1 comment:

  1. Well, the Kathie's Guild quilt was at MM because we have talked about it the week before. I have just checked and Kathie passed away in April, 2009. So it will be five years next April.
    <3 M

    ReplyDelete