Sunday, August 24, 2014

Day 66 - Cornwall to Lower Barney's River

It is ferry day.  That means that we have a deadline although there are several sailings which would work for us.

I didn't have a great sleep last night.  I don't know why.  I was tired and yet - sleep eluded me even with ear plugs to block any noise.  Oh well.  I am fine, but a bit tired this afternoon.

Up early and got every thing organized. Had breakfast and then I was out of camp by 7 AM.  All I can say is that the bike computer is just getting worse.  Now it seems to take forever to connect to the satellites.  Took almost five minutes this morning when normally it takes mere seconds. I shall have a LONG list of complaints - I mean concerns to chat to Garmin about that device. Let's just say that I have had issues with it almost every single day.  

Oh well - on the road and while I can't say that we had a tail wind - it wasn't really a head wind either.  And when you are focused - it is amazing how well you can ride.  I made it to the ferry (75K) is less than 3  and a half hours. Forty five minutes before the sailing.  Yep - I was happy with that.   I stayed on the TransCanada Highway for the entire trip. There was one little scenic trip but I have done it the last two years - no need to repeat - plus we always made a mistake on that section which added 5K to the trip.  No need for extra K on ferry day.

There was a shortcut to the ferry which cut out 9 K, but I was doing just fine on the TransCanada so I decided to stay.  Others took the shorter route and said the hills were nothing.  So with Gavin (our driver), I think 9 or 10 of us made that first ferry. Had lunch on the ferry and just chatted to Jacques while we made the crossing which is 1 hour 15 minutes or there abouts. As we were leaving the ferry - a van pulling a tent trailer LOST the trailer.  Yep - somehow the hitch just disconnected - so some of our group helped her get back on the road.

Then we were off and took the required pictures at the Welcome to Nova Scotia sign. The first little section after leaving the ferry was nice - a nice tail wind.  Then we changed directions and now a fierce head wind. Then changed directions once more and well - it wasn't really a head wind, but it wasn't a tail wind either.  It did slow me down a bit but not enough to really complain about.  Legs are feeling strong - mind was up to the challenge of the day - now if only my Garmin would work properly - then I would be a very happy camper.

Well - the end of the trip is in sight.  Four more nights of camping and we are done with camping!   I am going to miss my little tent. Might have to set it up in the basement or the back yard????    I sure won't miss the mosquitoes.  It is going to take a long time for all the bites to heal.

We are in a nice campground.  I've been here three years in a row!   Right on the water.

I arrived at pretty much the same time as the truck today. Kirk was already here.  So we unloaded the truck and now the rest of the gang are slowly starting to trickle in.

I think we still have 600 Km to ride in 5 days.  Tomorrow is going to be a long day, then two days of Cabot Trail.  Then a short ride to the ferry and then the last day.  Yes - it is coming soon.

And I have figured out how to properly save the blog posts so they stay in SAVE Mode and I can't touch them.. Yeah - one thing figured out!!!!

On that note - I am out of here.

Have a great day!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment