Monday, May 30, 2016

A busy day!

A bit of an exciting day and a busy one to say the least.  

I thought I would get started by installing the embroidery software.  I opened up the laptop and inserted the CD and this is the message that I got. Inadequate operating system!

Inadequate operating system

DRAT - but now I remember why I haven't installed it yet.  I remember going to the CreativFestival to take a class and I knew after that class that my operating system wasn't going to work.  Did I do anything about it?  Oh yes - I did purchase Windows 8 for my laptop. Did I install that?  Nope because I was going to have to back everything up and that is a lot of work. So if upgrading to Windows 8 was such a hassle, is that why with the Windows 10 upgrade, you can do it on the fly?

I have no idea.  However, I thought of two other laptops in the house with more recent versions of the O/S.   But I happened to bring home my work laptop and that would be the best one since I use it all the time.

Install on the work laptop to keep everything handy
However, this wasn't going to be a simple install.  There was a big long list of items to install and each one had to be done item by item.

Long list of things to install!
Fortunately, the install and registration process went very well so it didn't take too long, but it took time.

Then I opened the software and created the file I needed - it was a piece of cake and then it was ready for embroidery.  I didn't get to that yet.

Then it was time to get involved in finishing up my Riley Blake challenge.  I know - I shouldn't wait until the last minute, but I do and I probably won't change so don't even offer suggestions - it isn't going to happen. Besides my creativity goes into high gear when there is a deadline, although I had already completed some of the components.

Here is the fabric that we received as part of the challenge.  The one on the top left which is a bunch of preprinted sashings. The bottom ones are coordinates and I didn't use any of those.

Riley Blake_BW
Riley Blake challenge

I've done something a bit unusual - well I think it is, but I'm not going to share it quite yet. I'll wait until it is complete. The picture has to be posted on the web site by midnight, May 31.  This was an extension from April 30, but it took me a while to find some solid coordinates to go with it. Other people were having the same difficulty which is why the extension was granted.   A big thanks to Jackie for the white and orange and I had to buy the blue/green on-line. 

It was like a tornado whizzed through that studio. There was stuff everywhere and what didn't fit on the cutting table, got thrown to the floor.   There was some serious creativity going on. 

Stuff that doesn't fit on the cutting table

A huge variety of tools were used as I sliced and diced my way through this project.  There is a category for modern quilts called Improv with Intent. It's difficult to find a definition of Improv With Intent, but for my purpose, I made it up as I went along.  I also made up the quilt design as I went along.  I just sliced and diced and put pieces back together again. Hoping that it would look half decent as I didn't want to cut into my second piece of the sashing fabric (that I had purchased at QuiltCon). 

I used a huge variety of tools, including a compass, the compass extension, rotary cutters of various sizes, circle cutters, freezer paper, glue, pins and a whole lot more. Even threw in a speciality ruler or two. And when I couldn't find the ruler I wanted, I quickly substituted the design for a ruler that I could lay my hands on.  I think that is Improv with Intent.  I was intent on getting a certain shape made for the challenge and I was very much making it up as I go along.  

Lots of tools were used
Including the compass extension
Designs that weren't quite the right size were shaved bigger with the teeny rotary cutter. 

Enlarging slightly the templates. 

The sashing fabric - what's left of it

And all the while, I'm sewing on the challenge, I'm making little four patches for a scrap quilt. That's my enders and leaders!!!   No  time to waste!!!!

Enders and leaders

On that note, I'm out of here.  I have so much to sew for work and for challenges, well you do NOT want to know what the schedule looks like.  I take each hour at a time and what I get done, gets done. What I don't, doesn't get done! Simple.  I'll be upset if I don't meet the next couple of deadlines because I'm quite happy with my pieces.  Almost finished - pretty much at the quilting stage for three of them. None are huge and I have creative binding techniques up my sleeve!

Have a great day!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment