Friday, July 8, 2016

Retreat Day One

I'm not sure that I even want to go back to Day One of the retreat - it was not my best retreat day, not my best sewing day.

I was up early and on the road as I had plans to arrive early at the retreat house and go for a bike ride. Loaded up ALL those bags in the car and still had room to put the bike in the car on top of the bags. Just saved me putting the bike rack on the car. I remember when TWO of us would go in the car to a retreat. Obviously, I was a bit more careful how I packed.  No worries when you are alone  - loads of room. Let's go!

Apparently at some point on the highway, I blew past Claudette who pulled into the same gas station as I did. Never saw her - I was on a mission.

Got to the retreat house, pumped up the tires of the bike, grabbed my helmet and I was away. What a glorious feeling to be out on the bike. It's been a long time and while there were twinges in my knee, I'm in good shape. It was nothing to pull off 31 KM and two crazy hills with 14% grade. Thankfully they were short.

When I got back to the retreat house, most of the rest of the group had arrived and were busy unpacking and setting up. Wow - the house was very cold which was nice on such a hot day. I'm not sure I should confess this story, but we were very diligent all day about keeping the windows and doors closed so the cool air wouldn't escape. Around dinner time, the temperature in the house got warmer and we were trying to figure out how the air conditioning worked. Only to discover the next day that there is NO air conditioner in the house.  DUH!!!!  I think I knew that fact, but had forgotten. The house has big thick stone walls and must be well insulated.  I think the upstairs is a bit hot for sleeping, but there is a ceiling fan. I'm on the main floor and quite comfy.

Ronda and I are set up in the dining room. Got my machine set up, brought stuff into the house, grabbed the first project and I'm ready to sew. So the first project I'm working on has a very short deadline - what else is new! It is made with 12 different fabrics and each fabric has a very specific place in each block. Yep - you guessed it - I messed up. I had it all laid out on the floor, but there was no way I could recover from my screwup. Let's just say that I was a tad annoyed with myself for messing it up. A tad annoyed you say? No, I was in a very foul mood, to say the least, and while I can usually recover from a screwup, there was no way to recover from this one.  YES - I had to deconstruct the entire thing. Well almost. "DO NOT attempt to help me. DO NOT attempt to say encouraging things to me. Just leave me alone!"  I managed to rip it out fairly quickly and then started back at the beginning. Tried a different way to sort the fabrics and it worked.  I believe I managed to get four of twelve blocks sewn before bed. This is NOT what you want to happen when you have a deadline.

The only good thing from that mess is that I have to write a pattern for that project and now I will know how NOT to sew the blocks together.

 I was very tired as I had NOT slept very well the night before. Even to the point that I was up in the early morning cutting that last project that I didn't have time to cut the night before.  Why?  I have no idea.

I did sneak in a nap in the afternoon, but obviously, that didn't help my situation!

As usual, the company at the retreat is entertaining, the food is to die for and just getting away - well that is priceless and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sorry, there are no pictures - we were going to have a rule that what happens at retreat stays at retreat, but well for me - I can write whatever!

And I'm getting too old to stay up late - I was in bed by 10 PM and fast asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. Never heard a thing until morning even thought most of the other were up sewing.

Have a great day!


I heard through the grapevine that Lexi's been blogging again. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment