Saturday, January 21, 2017

Road to California - Day Two

It's crazy when the exciting news of the trip is the weather!  Well, it's not exciting, but it's the first thing on everyone's mind.

Thank goodness for extra shoes. When we left the hotel to walk across the street, I wore my old shoes and carried my new funky running shoes. Thank goodness for that as I think those shoes are still wet.

Image may contain: shoes and indoor
New running shoes

There were no orange running shoes, but these are close enough and for the price, they are relatively comfortable for a long day of standing in the booth. It helps that we have a cushy floor to stand on.

It poured buckets throughout the day and at lunch which is in the big tent, along with some vendors, I think the rain was causing some issues as there were sandbags to direct the rain, people using brooms to push the water out of the main walkway between the building and the tent and I heard later that extractors were brought in to remove the water that was seeping in under the edges of the tent. Yikes - I mean - it is raining!!!!  There were also high winds were a cause for concern with all the rain.

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, shoes and outdoor
A tad wet!!!!!
The weather warnings on my phone were HIGH waves along the beaches, erosion of the sand, damage to the piers, etc.

I'm happy to report that at one point we actually felt a bit warm in the convention centre. And NO ONEN complained.  I had to take my sweater off and loosen my scarf that was tightly wound around my neck. The others proudly wore their Target tights and were quite toasty!!!

After all that excitement - how is the show?   It's actually an amazing show. The calibre of the quilts (which are safely located in the main building) is spectacular.  I haven't really had a chance to get out and look at the quilts, but I did walk past the quilt aisles yesterday.  There are some amazing ones and I hope to get out today.  We were fairly busy all day and then as usual towards the end of the day, it gets quieter. Sunday will be a quiet day as in all trade shows so will get out then as well.

I did find a new pattern designer that I love. Too complicated to teach, I'm buying a pattern just for me! Lots of cool ideas for red/white quilts.

We received a list of local restaurants so last night we decided to check out The Old Spaghetti Factory. I love that place but haven't been in years. So plugged the address into the GPS and we were off.  And guess what - the restaurant is on Route 66.   OH MY GOD -  I was excited, the others not so much. But I was driving and couldn't take a picture of the marker. It was a bit too far to walk back so now that I know we are this close - I might try and get out to get a picture. I texted Ronda because she has driven the entire route. They didn't eat at the Old Spaghetti Factory but had driven past it.

More networking yesterday, connecting with old friends and meeting new ones. It's great. But if you think it's all fun - well - it mostly is but I did wake up this morning wondering where I was!  I was way off in dream land and woke up in a daze.

I did peek out the window and the sky is CLEAR.  I think the forecast is for NO rain today, but it's going to pour buckets tomorrow. The locals are excited about the rain, but not the quantity or the intensity.

On that note, I had better get myself ready for breakfast and the day.

Have a great day!!!!

Ciao!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment