Tuesday, April 30, 2019

A quilt for Maddie


I had a great day at the Monday sewing group. It's such a wonderful group of ladies. We had a new guest yesterday and we got to chatting about groups in general. Oh yes - there can be bad apples in every group. I stated (as a joke, but I'm dead serious) that we will NOT allow a bad apple to come forward in our group. Should that happen, the rest of the group will take charge and expel the bad apple from the group! Sounds harsh, but we had issues in the past and it just got really ugly.

I love our very loose structure. There isn't anyone officially in charge. Several people have a small role to play to keep the group going (I'm not one of them!) and well - I hear from all the members that they just can't wait for Monday. That's what a sewing/quilting group should be all about. It's great therapy and you get stuff done at the same time! ZERO pressure.

I'll share with you tomorrow what I got done yesterday.

While I was teaching one of my private classes last week, I needed something to keep me occupied. Hey - there was a binding being sewn on. While she was working, I did a couple of things.

I hand stitched this Hawaiian block years ago. The stitches are so tiny - it's crazy. I stitched the blue shape in the corner of a larger piece of orange. Now what to do with it? It's been hanging around with a huge piece of that blue batik. Time to do something with it.

Because of its placement in the corner, I was limited in the size I could make the background. Using my large square ruler, I cut and trimmed the block down to 12 ½".


Trimming the Hawaiin block down to size
The question then became, should it have a border or not? The border would be the dragonfly batik that matches the fabric used for the applique.

Does it need a border?

I decided to keep within the theme of Hawaiin quilts. Many of which do NOT have a border unless it's crazy applique which didn't suit this piece. So I nixed the border and made the binding out of the blue batik. I need to find something to use for the backing. I might just use the blue batik - I have loads of it. Then this small piece will be ready for quilting.

Just needs backing fabric and then ready for quilting

I have another quilt that I really need to get quilted. I have several that I'm constantly digging out of the "to be quilted" tubs for my trunk shows. This is one of them. I think it should go on the priority list.

Scrap improv quilt
 That top was inspired by Liberated Quilt Making by Gwen Marston who recently passed away. The backing and the binding fabric were with the quilt. The backing is that bright yellow in the photo below. I don't normally use solid backings, but what the heck. The red fabric for the binding was also included. So now the binding is made, the backing is ready. This is going on my priority list.


Backing, binding and quilt top - ready to be quilted

I have about 6 customer quilts to quilt - hopefully, this week?? That would be fabulous if I can pull that off. Then I'm totally up to date! I would love that.

Then I can start to plow through my own quilts. What a concept that would be! Although I do have a couple of deadline quilts for this month so those will take priority over everything.

Are you like me? You buy or get candles and then you never use them? Well, thanks to Ronda, I'm now a candle burner. Yes - burning them in the studio is probably NOT a good idea, but I use the ironing board so there is nothing around, the pad is heat resistant and the candle is out in the open so I won't forget it.

Here's my candle burning supply container.


Candles waiting to be burned

I now have tools for candle burning. A nice set with a candle snuffer, wick trimmer and something else - for poking???  I've no idea. I guess maybe to make the wick stand up if it's trapped in the bottom of the candle.


Candle burning accessories

Why does one need those tools? Well - look at this poor candle. The wick is at the bottom of the candle and needed to be trimmed. Unfortunately, this candle is done! But you get the idea!!

One more candle - done!

And how did the private class work out? I have to share this with you. The student is totally new to quilting and pretty new to sewing. She does have a bit of a spatial or control issue. The quilt is for her daughter and she wanted the daughter's name on the back of the quilt. So she learned how to paper piece and did the letters on the back of the quilt. Well - that saved the day.

Let's just say that there were a LOT of learning moments on this quilt. This is what happens when students don't remember the steps and don't call!  The front of the quilt had to be modified to fit the quilting - OK - it had to be trimmed - a lot. So we made a decision to make the back of the quilt the front. As I said - thankfully she put the lettering on the back. It now is a very modern quilt!

She got the binding on during her lesson. What I love is that her daughter's name is Madeline - same as M. Both are only children. Both were named after Madeline the character from the books. We never called our Madeline - Maddie although that was one of the reasons why I chose the name. They call their daughter Maddie all the time. And the best part? Maddie's quilt was finished in Maddie's room. Not the same Maddie though!!!


A student's quilt - DONE


Isn't that a hoot? Well - one more quilt is done and hopefully, Maddie loved her quilt which was to be gifted this past weekend.

On that note, I'm out of here. I've got loads of paperwork to deal with this morning. UGG. But if I get it out of the way, then I can move on.

Have a super day!!!!!


Ciao!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love candles but it's definitely not worth storing them and we don't want to have them in the RV - too easy to knock over and not much space to put them anyway. Just put a bunch in a box for the thrift shop. We have some battery candles we'll use for the trip. I loved the work around for the Maddie quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I'm not "stock piling" them. I'm using them!!! I've already been through two. Onto the next one! Today is the FIRST day of being "homeless". Hope you doing OK. And in the rain????

      Delete